Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 27, 2020, 02:42:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: spray cans  (Read 6259 times)

pirshom

• Lieutenant Commander
  • malabon city philippines
    • View Profile
spray cans
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »

hello guys! newbie here....just introduced myself in the.. well...introduction section. lol

well i've been reading for a while now and been searching the forum for a guide for using spray cans...threads i saw are about air brushes...so please do go easy on me if i miss a topic/guide regarding spray-cans use.

thanks in advance! :D

kon-sama :D

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Re: spray cans
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

Ok lets break it down for you. The two basic main types of model specific spray cans available over the counter in Australia are Mr Hobby and Tamiya. Tamiya are more widely available and often regarded as superior for some reason. I think they are equally as good.

Main things you need to know:

Spray outdoors on a dry, calm day. This is so your paint cures properly, doesn't get bits of dust all caught in it, and so you don't choke out yourself or your family. Wear a mask and gloves, and attach your parts to skewers using alligator clips, those squeezy paper holding clips, or blu tack or tape rolled in reverse.

Dark goes ok over light, but not vice versa. Use primer if going from dark to light. Read the primer topic for more info.

Use a sweeping motion. Be about 20cm from the piece minimum and depress the nozzle of the can before arriving at the part, sweeping across it, and release after you have passed the other side. Repeat in reverse, and back again. Several light coats is better than one heavy one. See the Gundam Australia Youtube Channel to see my spraying technique (the primer one).

If you stuff up, a 24 hour windex bath usually fixes most problems. Do not soak in commercial thinners or chemicals as it will eat your plastic.

Primer is not always necessary but can be beneficial in helping you detect flaws like nub marks you have forgotten to sand, seam lines that need fixing, and other minor flaws. There's more time for that stuff later young jedi.

Allow sufficient drying time between coats. If you spray on a cold or humid day when the air is full of moisture your results may be undesirable.

Buy yourself some matt top coat and gloss top coat while you're at it. They'll come in handy when you're ready to apply decals or finished. Again, light coats from a distance wins here. heavy coats from too close or in humid weather = frosting = bad. Gloss coat before decalling, matt coat when complete to protect and seal. See the top coat thread for more.

Spray cans are lacquers, so lacquers are hard and durable and dry real quick but take a day to cure properly. See Mokana man's youtube channel thread and watch the paint theory videos to learn more. See my Jan-Ken-Pon thread to see what pain beats what paint beats what paint.

Lastly and most imporatnt of all, have fun and do what makes you happy, cos when you're done it's you that will spend 99.73% of the time looking at it. ;)

Anything not covered by me I'm sure the other emebers will pick up ;)

Have fun bro. Happy spraying! ;D ;D

zenma5ter

• Mr. Boom Shakalaka
  • Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • Life > Gunpla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:27:01 PM »

Well put Sonar. Here is mine:

I've been using White Knight brand of enamel spray paint, so far they've served me well. Not too sure about Tamiya brand, guess they are better with the price tag.

The same goes with any spray paint, shake well before use, really do shake well, overshake if you must, but shake shake shake. If its a cold day, rinse the can with warm water, not really sure what that does, but the paint work will be smoother.

As spray paint must be done in well ventilated area (outdoors/garage if you do not have a paint booth), most likely there will be particles (the odd insects too) that lands on your kit before the paint dries. I usually just remove them with toothpicks (then hand paint the affected parts). Something to note, spray paints are hazardous substances, so it really MUST be done in a well ventilated area and you wear a mask.

Now to the painting part, I am a lazy gunplar, so I spray the kit straight from the runner. After removing the parts, any unpainted/chipped parts, just hand paint them (they are usually small and I use normal acrylic paint). I wont tell you the exact distant to spray from, you just have to try and feel which you are most comfortable with.

What is inexpressible is inexhaustible in its use.

Infinity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:00:06 PM »

Great info from Zenma and Sonar.

I'm still a beginner too, so I'm not gonna pretend that I know everything, cuz I'm still learning too. I'd call myself a "lazy" gunpla like Zenma. I spray my peices from the runner with tamiya cans, first with primer then with the colour. I use 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of colour. I plan to use topcoat but I have yet to find a close store that stocks it. I allow 24 hours between coats to dry. And lastly I use citadel paints from games workshop straight out of the jar to patch up nub marks from the runner.

That's what I do, but it's up to you. As they said before, as long as you like it then it's done.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:01:16 PM by Infinity »

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »

one advice

don't go cheap
you are going to waste a lot of pant for a kit and that's the point
when you start to think the total cost of cans almost equal to the decent air brush kit then it's time to upgrade

pirshom

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »

thanks guys! hopefully after reading your suggestions four times, i would fully understand...baahaha! atm my mind is rushing to do something else so i just did a quick browse over your responses....but will re-read...hoho.. and btw zenmaster...
http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php/topic,669.new.html#new
you were asking for pix? :D

Adrian

• Lieutenant Commander
  • aww yiss giant robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »

They seem to have posted everything you need here, but just a tidbit: Pay attention to the temperature of the spray can. Colder cans spray thicker, and warmer ones spray finer. Just DON'T heat the cans up too much.

mokana_man

• Rear Admiral
  • Mecha Workshop Melbourne
    • View Profile
    • Mokana man @ youtube
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »

They seem to have posted everything you need here, but just a tidbit: Pay attention to the temperature of the spray can. Colder cans spray thicker, and warmer ones spray finer. Just DON'T heat the cans up too much.

Safest way to heat up can's is to boil some water in a kettel place the cans in a tub then fill it with the hot water. Never boil water with the can's in the kettel/ sauce pan.
Success belongs to those who are too stupid to give up!
http://www.youtube.com/user/mokanaman

Adrian

• Lieutenant Commander
  • aww yiss giant robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:11:37 AM »

Safest way to heat up can's is to boil some water in a kettel place the cans in a tub then fill it with the hot water. Never boil water with the can's in the kettel/ sauce pan.

Really? I always thought that boiling water was bad, but warm water would be ok.

mokana_man

• Rear Admiral
  • Mecha Workshop Melbourne
    • View Profile
    • Mokana man @ youtube
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »

Really? I always thought that boiling water was bad, but warm water would be ok.

Warm water doen't really do much as soon as its out of the water and spraying its cold again. To make a difference you want hot water...
Success belongs to those who are too stupid to give up!
http://www.youtube.com/user/mokanaman

Adrian

• Lieutenant Commander
  • aww yiss giant robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 01:08:08 AM »

I see. Thanks.

pirshom

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »

thanks guys!

just got home from perth hobby centre...i asked for gloss coat but when i left there..i checked it and the can says "clear"..would that do the trick?

zenma5ter

• Mr. Boom Shakalaka
  • Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • Life > Gunpla
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »

it is meant to be clear, if you ask for a top coat which is for protection. So, the base paint (even if it is flat paint) would be glossy.
What is inexpressible is inexhaustible in its use.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »

thanks guys!

just got home from perth hobby centre...i asked for gloss coat but when i left there..i checked it and the can says "clear"..would that do the trick?

yes. gloss coat and clear coat are the same thing for your intents. does it say flat or matt anywhere on the front of the can? is it Mr. Clear Coat/Mr. Super Clear?

pirshom

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 11:08:11 AM »

^thanks! i bought tamiya....and it only says clear..

Pages: [1] 2 3

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF