Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 27, 2020, 01:58:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gundam U.C  (Read 1692 times)

Infinity

• Commander
    • View Profile
Gundam U.C
« on: December 28, 2010, 01:32:36 PM »

I know a thousand different people have asked this, but what is the correct order to watch the universal century series. I have looked on countless sites, but it seems every site/ person is slightly different. I am fine with subs and buying from overseas, but will buy here if avaiable to support retailers.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Re: Gundam U.C
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »

Strictly canonologically:

Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
08th MS Team (technically takes place during the OYW)
MS Igloo (takes place during OYW)
0080 War In The Pocket
0083 Stardust Memory
Zeta
Double Zeta
Char's Counter Attack
Unicorn

F91
Victory
G-Saviour

The last three are pretty far removed from the original timeline, occurring hundreds of years later.

It is actually far less important to watch them in order as you may feel it is. I almost think I would prefer to watch them in the order they were released. They don't really flow into each other that well, if at all. A lot of the connection is often by a brief and often vague reference that you only might pick up if you are a fairly entrenched fan.

See here if you are interested to see the chronology of the Universal Century. Indeed the entire article is good reading if you wish to learn more about the Universal Century.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »

also I will move this topic to sortie analysis later on so check back there.

Infinity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »

Thanks again Sonar for your awesome knowledge of Gundam!

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »

F91 isn't too far after Unicorn either. It is set in 0123 (or 30 years after Char's Counterattack / 27 after Unicorn).

Victory is set another 30 years on in 0153. G Saviour is set furthest away in 0223.

Watch them in any order you want though as it doesn't really matter - I do recommend watching 0079 first though so you can get a knowledge of the basis of the Universal Century (aka Zeon vs the Federation and why they are fighting) as many of the future UC stuff has similar themes in regards to antagonists and battles etc.

Yami

• Commander
  • The Last Raven
    • View Profile
    • Realm of Darkness
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »

I thought Saviour is not included in the canon timeline considering Bandai Japan disapprove the series just like Gaia Gear

I would say most of the UC stuff are saturated in OYW

Some other UC series in other form of media

MS Blue Destiny
Char's deleted Affair
Ecole du Ciel
Gundam Sentinel
Hathaway's Flash
F90
Crossbone Gundam
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:59:07 PM by Yami »

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »

F91 isn't too far after Unicorn either. It is set in 0123 (or 30 years after Char's Counterattack / 27 after Unicorn).

Victory is set another 30 years on in 0153. G Saviour is set furthest away in 0223.

Watch them in any order you want though as it doesn't really matter - I do recommend watching 0079 first though so you can get a knowledge of the basis of the Universal Century (aka Zeon vs the Federation and why they are fighting) as many of the future UC stuff has similar themes in regards to antagonists and battles etc.

I tend to agree, also if you have a hard time with very old animation styles then get it out of the way first and everything else will seem visually a hundred times better after it. I really enjoyed it but it took some adjusting to in the beginning and was pretty slow to get going, but this is true of most Gundam series except perhaps 00. By the end I was thoroughly captivated and couldn't wait for more, but it wasn't really until 0083 that we are thrust back into the story line, so watching 08th MS and 0080 in between were distracting and a bit confusing. I loved 0080 and on second watch I grew to love 08th MS team as well. Fave to date is 0083.

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 10:11:22 AM »

for those short of time just watching MS Gundam Movies plus Zeta and followed by Char's Counter Attack should be enough.

though 08th MS Team is quite good it broke way too many established plot lines and ZZ is best to be buried deep in the sand and think of it never happened...

0080, 0083, and egloos are best when you crave for some more...

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »

I thought Saviour is not included in the canon timeline considering Bandai Japan disapprove the series just like Gaia Gear

I would say most of the UC stuff are saturated in OYW

Some other UC series in other form of media

MS Blue Destiny
Char's deleted Affair
Ecole du Ciel
Gundam Sentinel
Hathaway's Flash
F90
Crossbone Gundam

Gundam Sentinel,I really am curious about this one.
Is it mainly text or pics?Is there any chance of finding a copy ?

TheBloody13th

• Commander
  • ..... You got a problem there?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »

MS Blue Destiny - Takes place during the OYW, covers the EXAM system
Char's deleted Affair - Years between Char's disappearance in the OYW and reappearance in Zeta, covers his brief interlude with Haman.
Ecole du Ciel - Takes place during Zeta
Gundam Sentinel - Takes place during Zeta, focuses on Ryu Roots and the new Dessides conflict
Hathaway's Flash - Takes place some time after Char's Counterattack, focuses on Hathaway Noah after CCA,
F90 - F91 prequel of sorts (Chronologically speaking)
Crossbone Gundam - F91 Sequel, mostly covered as Manga

Yami

• Commander
  • The Last Raven
    • View Profile
    • Realm of Darkness
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 01:14:33 AM »

I recall Sentinel is either Novel or another printed material that contain various gundam designs and if i am not wrong it is the debut work of Katoki Hajime.

Basically the story is about a Earth Federation task force hunting for the Titans Remnants where the main character pilot Sentinel Gundam which is really powerful machine and had AI system called ALICE. Though the main char sucks and rely on ALICE most of the time.

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 07:42:32 AM »

Sadly, no. G-Savior is officially the final story of the UC timeline. I loved the idea of a live-action Gundam movie, but they didn't spend enough money to make it. The Production value was pretty bad, even though they got a few good actors. They didn't give the MSs enough on-screen time, and didn't spend the time to make them LOOK good. (Designs were nice though...) The acting wasn't enjoyable, the story was barely interesting, the cinematography was atrocious, and to top it all, the Gundam didn't appear until the last 15-20 minutes of the movie.

I'm currently watching all of the UC in the order it was made. I'm currently on ZZ Gundam. (#3) G-Savior is #11, squished in between the A Baoa Qu ride and the Gundam Neo Experience 0087.

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »

I recall Sentinel is either Novel or another printed material that contain various gundam designs and if i am not wrong it is the debut work of Katoki Hajime.

Basically the story is about a Earth Federation task force hunting for the Titans Remnants where the main character pilot Sentinel Gundam which is really powerful machine and had AI system called ALICE. Though the main char sucks and rely on ALICE most of the time.
Thanks Yami.The reason I wanted more info is that I have a few MG kits from this series on their way,and wanted some more background info and images to help me get a feel for it.
Also the Katoki connection has me hooked.Sorry to hijack the thread guys-but any help with lineart or links to buy either the below mentioned texts would be greatly appreciated.
From Wikipedia-
"After the series completed its run, Model Graphix combined all of the individual articles into a 320-page photo-novel titled Gundam Wars III: Gundam Sentinel -The Battle of Real Gundam-, which also includes new material. It was released in September 1989 and is highly regarded as one of the best Gundam novels ever written.In July 1990, the story was again republished as a novel titled Gundam Sentinel: Alice's Confession. Gundam Wars III was also reprinted in 1994, but it only has articles on the model kits, shortening its size to only 216 pages."

Yami

• Commander
  • The Last Raven
    • View Profile
    • Realm of Darkness
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »

Thanks Yami.The reason I wanted more info is that I have a few MG kits from this series on their way,and wanted some more background info and images to help me get a feel for it.
Also the Katoki connection has me hooked.Sorry to hijack the thread guys-but any help with lineart or links to buy either the below mentioned texts would be greatly appreciated.
From Wikipedia-
"After the series completed its run, Model Graphix combined all of the individual articles into a 320-page photo-novel titled Gundam Wars III: Gundam Sentinel -The Battle of Real Gundam-, which also includes new material. It was released in September 1989 and is highly regarded as one of the best Gundam novels ever written.In July 1990, the story was again republished as a novel titled Gundam Sentinel: Alice's Confession. Gundam Wars III was also reprinted in 1994, but it only has articles on the model kits, shortening its size to only 216 pages."

MAHQ should have the Lineart that you look for while you could find the novel translation(no illustration) in the internet where i could give the link if you are interested though i won't post it here.

Since you are interested with the background of this series i might give some more information regarding this series. Gundam Sentinel is the only series where technology such as Incoms(funnels for non-newtype which are wire guided) and Beam Smartgun(the one that S & Ex-S use) are widely in use and supposedly some specs of the MS probably the best representation of the pinnacle of the Universal's century technology unfortunately they didn't show up much in other UC series as Bandai try to milk the franchise over and over again . There are plenty of cool mecha design from Sentinel Gundam and some of my favorites are Gundam Mk-V and Xeku Eins
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF