Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
March 26, 2019, 04:21:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: HGUC Doven Wolf (UC ver) - an excercise in excessive weathering one.  (Read 271 times)

dominict

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • TotalGunpla

Hello everyone. I have two completed kits that are early forays into weathering,

First off the Doven wolf, I love the look of this MS as it's so unlike anything else; it's also an MS that actually carries enough weaponry to justify sending it out on the battlefield.

It would be the star of 'PIMP MY MS' if that was ever a thing: YOU LIKE BEAM CANNONS? I GIVE YOU TWO! NOT ENOUGH?!!? YOU ALSO GOT BEAM CANNONS IN YOUR ABS AND YOUR HAND BEAM RIFLE CAN PLUG INTO YOUR ABS FOR BEAM ABS HOO HAH!!

Seriously this MS is armed with:
1 x beam rifle (that can combine with the ab cannons to form a mega launcher rivalled only by the ZZ's forehead cannon...what is a mega launcher?)
2 x ab beam cannons
2 x over the shoulder beam cannons
2 x incoms (the poor mans' bit/funnel/dragoon/etc)
2 x missile pods
2 x large missiles
2 x rocket punch arms...with beam guns!
2 x torso mounted grenade launchers
vulcans and beam sabers.

That's value. Why is this not the standard for arming mobile suits?

For this project I wanted to emulate the weathering of DC23's 1/100 Tieren (seen here: https://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.co.nz/2011/01/135-tieren-ground-type-yellow-squad.html)
It's a suit that has seen a lot of use on the ground and nowhere near enough maintenance.

Customisations:
Pla plating on crotch, sides of the chest and rear beam cannons.

Painting:
I went cheapo here and tried some general purpose Anchor aerosol spray paint. Anchor isn't a hobby brand and I found the paint extremely fragile. In future I will not be using them.

Main armor
 - Mist grey (as a primer)
 - yellow

Forearms
 - Mist grey

Hand painted Black details (shoulder, sleeves logo)
 - acrylic black paint (not hobby paint but worked fine)

Hand painted white details (sleeves logo)
 - acrylic white paint (not hobby paint but worked fine)

Frame/thrusters
 - Sparkling black spray paint
 - Acrylic silver dry brush

Weathering Step 1
Anyway my doven wolf was the test bed for weathering with enamel thinners as per these videos by ThoseGundamGuys:

NOTE that the above are part of a series continued here:

and here:

So I wanted to try that enamel weathering technique and it works..with two caveats: 1. don't let the enamel thinner get under/between parts because it will eat the plastic; & 2. make sure the thinner doesn't pool.

Weathering step 2
I used a sponge to apply burnt siena acrylic paint to simulate rust, and, silver acrylic to simulate fresh scratches.

Moving forward:
 - Not gonna be using non-hobby spray paints again as they don't stick to plastic well. <_<
 - Always gonna thoroughly paint any kit that I'm going to be applying enamel thinner to to avoid parts breaking.
 - I like the weathering effects but I will be more conservative in future.

Pictures:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:49:28 PM by dominict »
Looking for inspiration or stuck on a particular problem? Check out TotalGunpla for tutorials & build reports.
www.TotalGunpla.com
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF