Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
December 14, 2019, 08:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad

Poll

What is your status with this kit?

Want
- 1 (50%)
Backlog
- 0 (0%)
Built
- 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: HGUC RX-80PR Pale Rider (Ground Heavy Equipment Type)  (Read 5964 times)

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
HGUC RX-80PR Pale Rider (Ground Heavy Equipment Type)
« on: March 20, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »

HGUC RX-80PR Pale Rider (Ground Heavy Equipment Type)

Year of release: Sep 2015
Release number: Exclusive
Size & weight: 30cm x 20cm x 8cm, ?g
Approx cost: AU$54
Origin: Gundam Side Story Missing Link
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: HGUC RX-80PR Pale Rider (Ground Heavy Equipment Type)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »

Finally managed to get one of these for a reasonable price. The Heavy Equipment Type Pale Rider kit is essentially the same as the Metallic-colored pack-in that came with the PS4 Missing Link game, albeit with more weapons. Will be building it over the easter weekend and reviewing it then.

...God I hope this thing was worth waiting for. I was excited over it when the original (PS4 add-in) was announced but my mood about it has frozen since then. The build is going to be vanilla OOB and considering this is a completely original set of sprues (only the polycaps and saber blades are existing stock) this kit had better well impress me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:27:31 PM by Wavehawk »

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:48:57 PM »

Built this kit OOB. I guess I'm just a bit jaded. The kit itself isn't bad by any means but I'm definitely over the Pale Rider hype by now. This may be in large part due to the fact that I've already worked on current-era HGs (the IBO kits and the Revive Mk-II).

This is indeed a completely new frame and build, but will feel somewhat familiar to anyone who's built the HGUC GM Sniper Custom kit. torso, elbows, forearms and legs come together very much the same way as the GM Sniper. Not really bad in itself seeing that this kit was likely designed during that period of HGUC development (EG just before they started making all HG kits use the new smaller polycap). I did find sanding nubs a lot harder with this kit, nothing that a coat of paint won't fix but a bit niggly if you want to just display OOB with minimal paint work. You will definitely need at least white paint for the shield and some detail sections of the kit.

Posability is again identical to the GM Sniper. So much so that I'm tempted to give it the GM Sniper's sniper rifle and sniping hands. There is an additional mount to the back which is used for the 180mm cannon. I think in-game it actually is capable of mounting a lot of weapons but it made me feel the Pale Rider is really, incomplete or inadequate in terms of weapons choices.

No alternate hands come with the kit, which is a bit disappointing as the two firearms that come with the Pale Rider are a modified version of the 90mm GM Machinegun and a 180mm Cannon. The 90mm Machinegun appears exactly the same as every other 90mm gun that's been packed with most HGUC GM kits, only with a slightly different handgrip. Since the Pale Rider doesn't come with a trigger hand the 90mm machinegun is just one straight line and can be slid in and out of the kung-fu grip hands it comes with. This is similar to the gripe I had with the Revive Gundam Mk-II's Beam Rifle: you can't just swap it out with another kit's weapon. The 180mm is...okay. It's functional but since I've also worked on the Gundam Barbatos' cannon, the 180mm feels like a 'lite' version of the same. Unlike the Barbatos cannon which does okay out of box, the Pale Rider's 180mm cannon most definitely needs to be painted to be taken seriously. There are also two Beam Sabers mounted on the side armor, but I'm not too fond of the way they're pointing outward--granted it's more of a design choice than anything but the sabers sticking slightly out peeves me.

The shield is impressive but like the 180mm cannon it begs to be painted and detailed to actually be taken seriously. It's mounted directly to the Pale Rider's right arm by a peg. The missile launders mounted on the legs seem like an afterthought as they're only two simple pieces and neither of them show much detail.

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:04:14 PM »

This is a kit that can look good if you put some work into it--a straight OOB isn't enough and I'll heave to really put some work into this later on. The headsculpt is interesting, as it combines the best bits of both the GM Sniper and an OYW Gundam in one, but the rest of the kit is...good but leaves much to be desired. I think it's mainly the similarities to the GM Sniper that bug me. It's a completely new sculpt but the assembly method plus the color schme make it feel less like I'm building a "new kit" than "building a GM Sniper Custom variant". It's definitely not a GM Sniper Customer but it still feels like one. I suppose the only thing that could save interest in this kit is if Bandai releases it in a different color scheme (red and white, or a desert sand and brown scheme might work)...and with a different selection of weapons. A 90mm gun, a 180mm cannon and a pair of missile launcher sounds like plenty but honestly don't do it for the Pale Rider in terms of looks or accessories.

There were a LOT of possible new HGUC kits Bandai could have put out when they introduced the Gundam Side stories game. The RX-79(G) with the GM Sniper Visor could have been cool (and would have made sense as another P-Bandai kit that's a normal HGUC with an additional part). Or they could have made me happy and put out Gundam G4 and G5 in HGUC scale. The Pale Rider caught my attention when it was first announced as part of the game, but in the years since plus the fact that the kit itself wasn't as entertaining to put together as I'd hopes pretty much killed it for me.

Overall, I guess it's a buy if you loved playing the game and want a Pale Rider (and didn't get the metallic version that came packed with the game) or really need the Pale Rider kit itself for a project. Sadly not a kit to buy if you're sick and tired of GM Sniper Custom kits. It's not different enough of a build to enjoy working on, so novelty isn't a strong point either.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:04:38 PM by Wavehawk »
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF