Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
July 13, 2020, 11:53:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mobile suit Gundam: Iron-blooded orphans Discussion  (Read 12471 times)

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Mobile suit Gundam: Iron-blooded orphans Discussion
« on: October 05, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »

It's finally here! I watched the 1st episode yesterday and thought that it is pretty good. It's not something drastically different, but it's a nice change nevertheless. So, here is what I think about the series:
- Plot and setting: Still is the struggle between Earth and her colonies. But this time, we have colony on Mars. The first episode went awesome with some fighting on the planet, but I expect that it will move to outer space soon enough. Personally, I would love to have at least half the series taking place on Mars or Earth. I have nothing against space fights but I love the effect of gravity on the battles.
  The plot moves quite fast in the 1st episode and we jump into the a big fight immediately. So, no complain here. Only a little bit of the back story was revealed; however, it's quite enough for the time being.

- Character: It's nice to see that the main character -Mikazuki Augus - is not some random teenager who randomly find the gundam laying around and jump into the cockpit. He actually has the combat experience and competence to pilot the suit. He's a little bit cold and distant but he has a good amount of interaction with others which indicates that he is not a sociopath who can do nothing but pilot gundams and murder people.
  Some people said that Aina, who apparently is the heroine of the show if the writer doesn't decide to kill her off mid way through  the show, is a copy of Relena Peacecraft. It's too early to tell but I don't think so based on what I've seen so far. She's precisely what she is described in the story - a naive girl.

- Art and Animation: superb. The fight scene is fast, but I still managed to catch most of the things going on. The characters are well designed and I can easily tell who is whom. The MS design is unique and interesting. I don't like the heels of the Graze though

- Music: BGM is all good, but I don't like the ending song.

This is what I think, How about you? Any predictions?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:06:43 PM by c4cloud »

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile suit Gundam: Iron-blooded orphans Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »

I'll need more convincing. It appears to have too much in common with Aldnoah Zero. Bandai running out of ideas  ???

I saw someone mention that it was like 08MS. I must have watched a different show as this is nothing like 08MS.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:24:52 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »

I'll need more convincing. It appears to have too much in common with Aldnoah Zero. Bandai running out of ideas  ???
- It's still coming across better than G-Reco, I'll give it that. But yeah, it's too much like Aldnoah.

In all fairness, Bandai -could- actually deliver what Aldnoah Zero promised but failed to do: Characters using smart tactics against a technologically superior opponent (EG intelligent tactics written well into the story not total asspulls). Thing is, we have a Gundam on deck so...that's not too likely. I'll wait for the rest to show then make a judgement on it.
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »

Martian princess and teenager soldier. Let's hope that Mikazuki doesn't love eggs

I saw that comment about this series just like the 8th MS. Well, they both have people shooting each other in MS so they must be the same thing right? ::) It's like saying F-15 and SU-27 are the same aircraft because they both have wings and cockpit. This is just the first episode and many people get so excited. Well, SEED Destiny started with a very nice first episode too, but it turned out to be... controversial to say the least. just saying. ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:52:58 PM by c4cloud »

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »

It's a bit more than just that. Mikazuki is kind of like Inaho in the sense that he's a little bit out there (EG doesn't seem normal, even considering) and has an unnatural talent (Tactics in Inaho's case, combat in Mikazuki's case). And the stupid cannon fodder schmuck in the first-killed Graze is basically a Vers pilot transplanted into an MS, the kind that doesn't even dignify a pre-death shot. But it's not all that. It's got a bit of Code Geass' feel (in Aldnoah Zero the Ver martians had superior tech but were actually the more impoverished colony, while Gjallhorn seems to be more like Brittania from Code Geass). And the Graze's opening head is pretty identical to how Knightmare Frames work in Code Geass.

I can see where some people think Aina is like Relenea Peacecraft, but I don't see too much similarity there just yet (she really needs time to grow as a character before I cna make judgement on that--she's not fully fleshed out yet) One thing I'm really looking to see developed more is Orga's relationship with Mikazuki. It looks like a brains and brawn relationship, with Mikazuki being loyal to Orga. I'm fully expecting them to clash eventually in the series--but I want them to do it right--eg more abotu characterization than just mechs duking it out.

But more on the actual world--I'd like to see them flesh out the world better as well, like an explanation of the implants. I have a rough idea of what they are Neural interfaces but am only guessing at this point. But if my hunch is right, in a way it would make a better reason for why the main characters can pilot the older-generation mecha better.

I also like that line Mikazuki used in Aina: "If you have to make me feel like an equal, that means you didn't see us as equals to begin with." Wish I could have used that line on more than one politician who's pretended to be "just one of us citizens" when he was clearly a lying effing asshole.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:54:41 PM by Wavehawk »

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »

where does one watch it?

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »

By this point, originality seems to be something that is unnecessary; It's just the matter of who can execute their idea the best. This is where aldnoah fail miserably, and I hope that iron-blooded orphans would manage to pull it off. Don't get me wrong though, original ideas are still welcome.
Now that you mentioned the implant on their back, I was surprised at first when I watched the trailer "why the heck all of those guys pilot without shirts.

where does one watch it?
You can watch it on youtube on Bandai official channel "gundaminfo". If it's not there, you can check daisuki.net
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:54:21 PM by c4cloud »

Torquamedus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 03:01:56 PM »

I just finished watching the first episode it wasn't bad but now here's the question wonder if they are going to do another pilot seat toilet scene like they did in Reconpathetica G :) I hope not that whole series was pretty lame to be honest rather watch Seed again
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:02:24 PM by Torquamedus »

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 05:11:12 PM »

Now that you mentioned the implant on their back, I was surprised at first when I watched the trailer "why the heck all of those guys pilot without shirts.
- Also noticable: None of the Gjallhorn troopers go naked in their MS, so I would assume that they may not need neural interfaces? It's still 1st ep so I could be proven wrong later on.

And this...actually borrows a page from Break Blade's book about how an ancient MS (Barbatos) is superior to a current-gen MS (Graze)--It was designed as an over-the-top combat machine to combat every other machine to a standstill but ultimately failed because eventually time (and a heavy helping of grunts) bypassed it. Quite possible that the tech used for those implants is outlawed on Earth and the only MS that uses this same tech is the Barbatos.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 05:13:06 PM by Wavehawk »

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »

And this...actually borrows a page from Break Blade's book about how an ancient MS (Barbatos) is superior to a current-gen MS (Graze)
Yeah, but where's its moustache and giant butterfly weapon? Or its cow? That's what I want to know.

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »

Yeah, but where's its moustache and giant butterfly weapon? Or its cow? That's what I want to know.
- ...all of a sudden, you make me want to look for pictures of Martian Cows.

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »

I think that more machines like the barbatos would be brought back into operational state and be evolved in the story. Well, they're using the barbatos as a giant power generator and obviously it's not something strictly confidential in the base, so it's possible that this is a common practice.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:18:50 PM by c4cloud »

Siwrx

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 12:27:37 AM »

It is too much like Aldonah because of : mars + princess + young pilot but some people would argue that Aldonah took the earth/colony struggle from Gundam .. Anyway like gunny I will need more convincing, I struggle a bit with the chara design and just some characters in general

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »

It is too much like Aldonah because of : mars + princess + young pilot
- It's Gundam. Young pilot is pretty much a given for 9 out of 10 Gundam series.

I wish they'd actually make a series with a mature pilot (EG 30 or so), but outside of manga spinoffs and Char's Counterattack I don't that's the way Bandai/Sunrise will roll.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:05:09 PM by Wavehawk »

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 10:04:46 PM »

Ep.3 seen. I think I'll give it more of a shot. Still not what I'd call a perfect Gundam or mecha series but it's definitely hitting some of the right notes with me at the moment. Definitely appealing to me more than G-Reco.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF