Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
May 26, 2020, 09:26:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kamil's LED mods  (Read 1872 times)

kamil001

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Kamil's LED mods
« on: July 02, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »

I need help with my current WIP. I finally found the right size LED for my project but I'm having trouble distributing the light. I don't want to span the part with LEDs bec that would be impractical.

Do you guys have any idea how I could distribute the light more effectively?

I'm thinking 4 LEDs max there. :P

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
Re: Kamil's LED mods
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »

The problem is that you're trying to light an uneven surface. Most household LED bulbs and flashlights have a reflective backing, either metallic paint or aluminium to reflect light evenly and spread it out. But they're usually in a circular pattern. I'm guessing you're trying to put LEDs into an MG Gundam X's reflector panels? A metallic back coat will help but not by much, as the lights are not going to be evenly spaced.

Another option would be to frost the clear plastic, so the wires won't be seen and the light spreads more evenly. EG kind of like how power-saving flourescent bulbs have a white powdery material inside (a kind of Phosphor). Not sure where you could get paint that could work in that same manner and not be hazardous to your health, though. You might need to experiment with white spray paints (EG spray them on transparent plastic, then look at how an LED light appears when put behind it).

Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:14:29 PM by Wavehawk »
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."

kamil001

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:14:15 AM »

So I decided to scrap the project involving the gundam X and I'm moving on to my other projects.

I just want to ask now. besides painting the back part with reflective colors, how could I be able to distribute the light evenly around the clear part?

I'm currently thinking of having 2 leds placed back to back OR have them at opposite sides but I thinks it's a little overkill and that might be too bright compared to the other parts.

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »

im no expert but i find not having the led shining directly at the clear part goes along way to making the light spread even, mount the lig as far back from the piece as possible and shine it across the surface, thats what ive been messing with in the MG nu but the leds there are buried deep in the legs and arms so its infinitely easier

kamil001

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »

...not having the led shining directly at the clear part goes along way to making the light spread even...

The LEDs I'm using are actually already on their sides. They're already parallel to the surface and not pointing towards the clear piece.

I'm using leds similar to the pics attached. they're really small and commonly used as backlights for phone screens.

kamil001

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »

Just want to share some thoughts on a project I'm working on.

I've managed to put an LED on mg qan[t] gn sword v but apparently 1 LED isn't enough to light the blade. It didn't even reach 1/4 the blade.

I'm currently considering 2 options.
1. Put another LED in the space at the base of the blade. But I'm not sure if it would help improve the lighting.
2. Since the blade is actualy 2 clear parts put together. I'm thinking of puting some reflective tape in the middle of the 2 clear parts. Hopefully it would help bounce the light towards the farther sections of the blade.

kamil001

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 04:24:14 PM »

Just a small update.

Regarding the qan[t]'s gn sword. It appears that I'll have to scratch build the blade from clear plastic as someone from FB noted that the original blade is quite dark that's why the light is unable to spread farther into the blade. I'll also be watching the movie again to see if he actually has his sword when he does the quantum burst mode. Maybe I can cheat my way and not use the sword. LOL.

For now I've moved on to other parts of the project. I posted here before my issue with the GN condensers in the legs not having the clear piece. I originally planned on recasting it as a clear part but that proved to be harder and not worth my efforts and funds. So instead I just drilled some patterns where the light would pass through. And that's good enough for me.

kamil001

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 04:45:33 AM »

Here's some proof of concepts when I was working on the hg unicorn. Wasn't decided how to display the kit so I tried to put LEDs on both.

kamil001

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »

Here's some proof of concepts when I was working on the hg unicorn. Wasn't decided how to display the kit so I tried to put LEDs on both.

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 12:09:21 PM »

the gun one would be cool as a blinking led!

kamil001

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 12:14:27 PM »

I'm currently working on the beam sword of my destiny gundam and I'm having issues with the light not reaching the middle area.

I'm thinking od affing some reflective tape at the back side to help with the lighting. Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF