Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
March 24, 2019, 09:03:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mg Gundams  (Read 4039 times)

roofless11

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
Mg Gundams
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »

Just a quick question. I'm new to gunpla and want to know why Bandai put so little effort into there Mgs and so much into there Rg/Hg kits. I don't want to become a sculpture but a few panel lines wouldn't go amiss. I also don't want to spends days and weeks making detail that a robot can do in seconds. Kotobukiya kits are so much better they make Bandai look crap. But why? Do Bandai have 3 blokes in a shed designing Mgs? It's a massive company and they drip feed the latest Mg kits with no detail yet Rg and Hg are being released constantly with shed loads of detail. Makes me wanna cry, Mg my arse.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:34:06 PM by roofless11 »

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
Re: Mg Gundams
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:07:22 PM »

What MGs have you been building? Some of them are horrible and some are great. And it's not always how old the kit is. Some of the MGs I've built and really like have glaring faults in them (MG F91) and I spend a lot of time modding them to avoid those faults. There are still a lot of good OOB MGs out there but you'll have keep an eye for the ones you want. Some of the 'newer' MGs have less detail on purpose (I'm talking about the RX-78 Ver 2.0) or are designed to have little detail (The AGE-1). The Jesta has decent detailing and the Zaku II 2.0 versions actually good with a simple wash.

As to why Bandai are focusing more on HGs and RGs, it's because more people buy HGs. Some of those people are willing to pay more for RGs of particular models. Most of those people want a kit that's easy to put together and don't really know or care about detail or accuracy. Not everybody has shelf space or money for MGs.

Don't even get me started on the weeaboos with lots of money who buy kits then hire a pro modeeler to build it OOB for them.

As for Koto, their 1/144 Muv-Luv kits cost twice as much as an HG but require a bit more work. Don't  get me wrong, I love the TSFs and have a pair of still-unfinished Armored Core kits. But money-wise they're not as easily purchased as Gundam kits.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:22:57 PM by Wavehawk »
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:22:53 PM »

Some are aimed to be anime-accurate, so they are not very well detailed (GM 2.0, Zaku 2.0, etc. for example).

I think that it's all about the artistic styles. Some prefer the kits to be as detailed as possible (more panel lines, more mechanical details) while others like to have a simple looking kit. Just don't forget that many people don't like to spend their time filling every panel lines. (and yes, I personally think that some Kotobukiya kits are having too many details. Zoids or Armored Core for example))
Price is also an important factor. Some Bandai kits were overpriced, but most of them are very affordable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:26:58 PM by c4cloud »

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:26:14 PM »

Some are aimed to be anime-accurate, so they are not very well detailed (GM 2.0, Zaku 2.0, etc. for example).
- The Zaku 2.0 versions have good detail----Oh wait, The MSV Zaku 2.0 kits have higher detail (H-Mobility, Zaku Cannon, etc). the stock Zakus aren't as detailed but are okay.

Also, I think roofless11 has just built that many Koto kits that most of the Bandai stuff looks plain vanilla to him.

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:36:32 PM »

- The Zaku 2.0 versions have good detail----Oh wait, The MSV Zaku 2.0 kits have higher detail (H-Mobility, Zaku Cannon, etc). the stock Zakus aren't as detailed but are okay.
Panel line wise, I prefer the 1.0. The thighs of Zaku 2.0, for example, have no panel lines whatsoever. They are a little bit too plain for my taste.

Whiner's alert
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

roofless11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 11:41:30 PM »

I think Wavehawk nailed it.

syn 76

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »

Maybe bandai should release a technical line of kits with tons of detail and sharper lines like some resin kits,sort of like RG but in 1/100 scale.

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »

Maybe bandai should release a technical line of kits with tons of detail and sharper lines like some resin kits,sort of like RG but in 1/100 scale.
-...DON'T GIVE THEM ANY MORE IDEAS!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »

They do. It's called B-Club which is Bandai speak for "Let us rape your wallet".
Real men don't LOL!

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:29:40 AM »

They do. It's called B-Club which is Bandai speak for "Let us rape your wallet".
Remind me of the first time I've ever seen those 1/144 "HD hands" which are more expensive than the kits they are designed to fit into.

Zesaviourta666

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »

Wavehawk you should make a Zaku F2 and then watch bandai announce one 2 days later ;)

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 12:06:39 AM »

Quote from: c4cloud
P/s: Why isn't there any Zaku F2 Bandai?
- They already exist:

But if you mean a Zaku F2 Ver 2.0...

Quote from: Zesaviourta666
Wavehawk you should make a Zaku F2 and then watch bandai announce one 2 days later ;)
...Get in line behind the guys who want a Seed Destiny MG Zaku.

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »

Yeah, I meant the MG.
Speaking about SEED, the stargazer is screaming for a MG releash

roofless11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 10:12:30 PM »

Bandai have enough lines, let's keep the no grade for the kiddies and let me spend my thousands of pounds on quality detailed master grades. Bandai are a billion dollar company and there is no excuses for crap mgs.

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 08:19:44 PM »

Bandai have enough lines, let's keep the no grade for the kiddies and let me spend my thousands of pounds on quality detailed master grades. Bandai are a billion dollar company and there is no excuses for crap mgs.
too late. they're not even bothering to call it an mg anymore:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c_8X0VBzGVU/VaX4A3_iUtI/AAAAAAAJSDs/nJyI8rO0oHI/s1600/Untitled-83.jpg
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF