Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
May 31, 2020, 01:28:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vital's Bunker  (Read 5702 times)

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
Vital's Bunker
« on: November 07, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »

Welcome to my WIP thread  ^-^

My techniques aren't very advanced yet, so please don't expect anything too exciting here. But now that I've started painting Gunpla I might aswell start sharing my progress and maybe asking a question or two along the way. All I can promise is some photos of various bits and pieces at various stages of completion and not much else. But hey, people like photos right? even if they're just parts in primer. I know I do  ;)

It's my 11th kit (HGUC Sinanju) which will be similar to the Kampfer I recently finished, but this time in red as opposed to the blue. I wrongly used grey primer under the metallic blue on the last one, so this time we'll see what it's like with black base coat.

1st coat.....so speckly

2nd coat.....

3rd coat....now we're getting there.

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Vital's Bunker
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »

So this is what Tamiya's semi-gloss black looks like.....

1st coat of Tamiya's metallic red. All rattle-cans so far.

Looking good on black to me.....maybe I should just stop after this coat  :D

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »

thats gonna look real good when it comes together!

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:29:49 PM »

I hope so  ;)

3 coats of metallic red now.

So that's 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of black, and 3 coats of red. I think I managed to keep the coats fairly thin, so I'm happy enough to stop there.

The Silver Leaf is super opaque, so only 2 coats were needed here.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »

More coats than the hat check room at the Trocadero  :agx04:
Real men don't LOL!

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »

^^ ;D

When researching the HGUC Sinanju leading up to the purchase, I heard time and time again about how much of a pain in the arse the gold stickers were. So right off the bat I was ready to bypass them and just hand paint the gold trim.

My experience with handpainting is extremely limited though (just a couple of easy bits on my Kampfer). So I started on the collar with some Tamiya Gold Leaf (X-12). This is some seriously chunky paint. Should I have thinned it out first?

I hand painted the silver on his errrr.... face-vulcans as they're part of his face armour. I'm happy with how they turned out.

I've got a reasonably steady hand, but controlling exactly where the paint goes seems to be my problem. I did a tidy-up of the edges with some black panel line marker, but I'm still not too impressed with my handywork. Then when it came to do the chest, it looked like it was going to be much more difficult.....that's when I broke out the sticker sheet  ;D

So far, the stickers haven't been too difficult to work with. It's true, I haven't got to the knees yet (apparently they're in 12 parts). As expected though, the 2 golds don't match very well. I might sand back the gold on the collar and use the stickers there too.

Still, the red and silver seems to look alright. I managed to put a few tiny chips in the red during assembly but the dark red Real Touch Marker hid them really well (what looks like a large chip on his back there is actually a gap showing some silver behind it.....phew, I had to double check)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:02:03 PM by Vital-Blurs »

strikegundam

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »

you can cut out the black part of the sticker and use them for masking. then paint the gold on the parts

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:33:30 PM »

There's an interesting idea, but if I was to do it again I reckon I'd paint the whole piece gold and then fill in all of the recessed parts in black. A panel line marker would get clean edges around the details and then you could just fill in the rest of the black afterwards. Trying to handpaint the raised bits was harder than I thought it'd be.

Anyway, here's some progress pics....

Doesn't it look like a face?  ;D

Inside of the rear armour. It's going to be silver along with all of the inner-framey parts like the elbows and knees etc.

This kit is going to scratch the crap out of itself by the looks of it.

It's getting there.

kirky

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »

Looks amazing dude!

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »

Cheers, I'm pretty happy with how it's looking so far :D

The suit itself is 99% complete and painted, so now I can start working on the backpack and shield. I must say, that this kit is the most intricate High Grade that I've ever built (although only my 8th HG) Just the legs would have as many parts as a regular HG  ;D

Random bits.....

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »

Taking white parts, priming them in white and then painting them in white made it difficult to tell how things were going, but I think we got there in the end.

The Sinanju rifle has to be one of the better looking designs out there.....

genericpaladin

• Lieutenant
  • A follower of Zeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »

This looks great, can't wait to see it finished. I'm loving the sparkly red.
Moeagare
Moeagare
Moeagare ZAKU!

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »

A picture of the finished product in my WIP thread seems like a sensible idea.

Up next will be a painted RG. But I miss just snapping together a kit, you know?....so I might do an unpainted one while I'll slowly get the RG going.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:21:52 PM by Vital-Blurs »

jozaeh

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 02:46:13 PM »

Man, I LOVE posts like these! I know how much time it takes to stop and take good shots along the process of a build, let alone posting them all with descriptions, so thanks heaps! It's so fun to scroll through and see the process. Damn it turned out really nice hey. And you got a great finish even with the cans. (oooh one day when you get an airbrush, you'll faint with happiness. I decant my Tamiya sprays into my airbrush, and the paint goes about twice as far, and the control is so brilliant.

Nice work, that was a joy to see.
J

Vital-Blurs

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, jozaeh. I'm glad you enjoyed having a scroll. I still think I could learn a thing or two from your threads though  :D

Actually, I do have an airbrush ready to go, but I haven't used it on any kits yet. Rattle cans are just way too convenient at the moment and I still have a draw full that need using up first!  ;D

I'll definitely start using my airbrush soon as I'd like to have a go at pre-shading. I still need to find the right location where I can leave things setup and with decent lighting.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:55:15 PM by Vital-Blurs »
Pages: [1] 2 3

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF