Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
December 14, 2017, 12:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Portable Console recommendations?  (Read 1421 times)

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
Portable Console recommendations?
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »

I've been on and off thinking about getting either a PSP, PS Vita or 3DS/2DS. This has been going on since 2008 or so, and I never really gave it much serious thought because I was more a PC FPS/Stealth gamer. Problem now is my current PC can't play games--it's solely for internet and work use. So I'm thinking of getting a portable console system (mobile phones/tablets are out of the question), but realize that neither Nintendo nor Sony have any games in particular that would interest me in choosing one or the other. I would normally pick a system that has a game I like, but the PSP and DS either both have it (Metal Gear, Splinter Cell), or it's something I like but not interesting enough to factor in (Ghost Recon Predator, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars).

Yes, Gundam VS Gundam being for PSP and not DS is a factor, but not that big a factor, either.

I don't want a recommendation of the console itself, just any games on either PSP/PS Vita or DS that you think are worth playing. FPS, Stealth, and 3PS are generally what I look at, with modern or sci-fi settigns. Occasionally I'll be interested in RPGs but not highly (The only Final Fantasy games I'd go for are the Tactics games). Turn-based games like X-Com would be good.

I'm not into fighting games, so that's well out. Same with RTS--not interested.

Basically, I'll be making a decision (not now but later) based on which system has more games that I would find are worth playing for more than 15 minutes. And I don't trust gaming websites to give me moderately unbiased or accurate information anymore.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:47:46 PM by Wavehawk »
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."

shadow298

• Rear Admiral
  • UNLEASH THE GUAN
    • View Profile
    • And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth blog
Re: Portable Console recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »

PSP is dead as a system. No new games being made for it & hard to get hold of software anyway unless you go to ebay or other online stores. They are a decent system overall, so best to get a cheap 2nd hand one. Nintendo are no longer supporting the DS but the 3DS is backwards compatitable at least.

There are no good FPS or 3PS games on handhelds. Not genres that translate well to handheld & all modern ports pretty much suck.
Both the Vita & 3DS have a plethora of RPG & RPG strategy games but the 3DS is the stronger platform for pure J-RPGs (such as the brilliant Bravely Default).
you can pick up a 2DS with Pokemon X or Y preinstalled for under $180.
"Ego futurus. ut est totus"

-I Exist. That Is All

for geek related goodness, check out these: @andthegeekshall
http://andthegeekshallinherit.tumblr.com/
http://andthegeekshall.wordpress.com/

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »

I've got both a Vita and 3ds xl and both have their merits.
The vita I actually use more to play older games but the 3ds gets a right proper workout and would probably be the one I would recommend unless you have a ps3 or ps4 you can use the remote play ability to play on the those games on the vita, great for toilet breaks :)

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »

for me, above and beyond the games, the decision for me is do you own a playstation 4 or 3, the vita has remote play, cross buy and cross saving with both, remote play with the ps4 even works over the internet (if your lucky haha) as an owner of both its a pretty big selling point and im definitely looking at getting one, as soon as it gets a native game i cant miss

Tulip

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:17:07 PM »

I have a 3DS so I can only account from a bit of a biased side and since I keep track of 3DS games rather than vita I can tell 3DS has a nice range of games that can keep you entertained during train trips. I think 3DS has more games than the vita

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:59:43 PM »

...specific games, please? Just saying "This system has good games" is a bit...broad. I was hoping recomends like Shadow's recommend of Bravely Default.

I'm only looking at PSP because some places have it 2ndhand and it might be worth it if it has enough games I'd like.

No I don't own a home console, so that's completely out as well. I once played an FPS (Callof Duty) on the older DS that was novel (using the stylus as opposed to a mouse), but still awkward.

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »

So I guess the question here is what sort of games do you like to play?
If you know that look at the line ups on both consoles and that will then answer your question for you.
For example I love my final fantasy series and I have quite a few on my vita
3sd has plenty of jrpg and any of the mario and zelda games
So it really does depend on the type of game that you enjoy

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

Think I mentioend it in my first post:
FPS, Stealth, and 3PS are generally what I look at, with modern or sci-fi settigns. Occasionally I'll be interested in RPGs but not highly (The only Final Fantasy games I'd go for are the Tactics games). Turn-based games like X-Com would be good.

I'm not into fighting games, so that's well out. Same with RTS--not interested.

Since all notes seem to agree that portable console FPS aren't going to be worth it, I'll have to look at Stealth Games, and third-person shooter action games that have a decent story and gameplay.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:32:15 PM by Wavehawk »

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 08:30:47 PM »

Then Vita it is

Tulip

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 12:35:54 AM »

Tales of abyss, zelda orcarina of time and a link between two worlds, resident evil Revelation is FPS but not that good imo, fire emblem, mario kart 7, pokemon, etrian odyssey those games I believe are pretty good
Vita might have more games that will interest you (wont list cos I dont know much) 

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 01:17:59 AM »

I reckon the platform with a game that lets you play a call centre operator that can stab PITA's to death with pieces of sprue would be the go  :)
Real men don't LOL!

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »

I reckon the platform with a game that lets you play a call centre operator that can stab PITA's to death with pieces of sprue would be the go  :)
- not quite, but the DS has one pretty close to it:
Air Traffic Controller DS

It has the dealing with PITAs who think they're smarter than you bit down pat.
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF