Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
March 29, 2020, 09:45:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad

Poll

How long do you want the build to run?

2 months
- 8 (42.1%)
3 months
- 11 (57.9%)
Can we have just another week!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: April 19, 2013, 08:38:28 AM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poll 4: Duration of build  (Read 3475 times)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Poll 4: Duration of build
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »

Last poll  :D I can hear the cheers from here  8)

Duration is always a bit of an issue. No matter how long you set there will always be people who want longer. A day, a week, 3 orbits of Pluto and then they're still not done  :-\ You are always going to get people from across the whole spectrum from those that use the time to their best advantage, to those who start and finish in the last week to those who will never finish.

The three choices offered are based on the previous builds.

Choice 1: 2 months.

Up until the fourth build this has been the duration of all previous builds. I feel this time frame is about right. Not too short and not long enough for people to loose focus and for the build to loose momentum.

Choice 2: 3 months.

Build #4 was 3 months and although we had the second highest finishing ratio I thought it effected the quality of the entries and the build as a whole. People slacked off because they thought they had plenty of time and what happened, most people suddenly realised that the end was nigh and they had bugger all to show for it so pumped out rush jobs that whilst on the surface looked great sacrificed the basics to get it done thus bringing down their final placing. The build itself also lost pace and for while it looked like everyone had lost interest.

Whatever time frame is chosen there will always be people struggling to finish and whilst 3 months will give those with time issues a bit more breathing space the non finishers are always going to be non finishers regardless of how long they are given  ;)

Choice 3: Can we have just another week!

This is there for people who have another suggestion for how long they want the build to run for. If you choose this option please make a post with your suggestion. Votes made with no accompanying post will be ignored  :)

One thing to note, there will be a build up period of between 3 - 4 weeks before the start of each build to allow people to gather their forces and be ready to start when the build is launched.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:21:44 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Poll 4: Duration of build
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:30 AM »

I'm going to say 3 months, I'm not actually sure how long the gauntlets all went for but two months seems like gauntlet length for pulling off a top level build, whilst 3 months is more relaxed and so on, which to me is what the gbex is about, besides grunts, it's about a more relaxing group build but with the aim of great builds in all category's, although some might slack then rush, it's just another sign off a winning build if time was managed well

zenma5ter

• Mr. Boom Shakalaka
  • Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • Life > Gunpla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:42:15 AM »

I think 2 months is just about enough time for OOB or minor mods or repaint. Of course other factors come into play. On top my head, weather: autumn, winter, spring are all water filled misery (down in Victoria anyway). In order to compensate for the cold and rainy days, I will go with 3 months.

Of course, I am the main offender in terms of final rush finisher, but my point should still be valid.
What is inexpressible is inexhaustible in its use.

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »

most people suddenly realised that the end was nigh and they had bugger all to show for it so pumped out rush jobs that whilst on the surface looked great sacrificed the basics to get it done thus bringing down their final placing
How did he know!?!

Also, IIRC my build (#3) had a 6 week duration.

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »

I voted with the 3 month option, that's usually enough time to get yourself done and dusted to create a decent finished kit

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:44 PM »

Yep 3 months works  ??? ??? ???

Going back over the last build (which was 3 months) it was amusing seeing all the last minute pleading and excuses (who did we blame before the internet?) and overtime completed entries  ::)
Real men don't LOL!

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »

It's the procrastinating that kills you, I think to myself got 3 months I can start it in a couple of weeks and next think you know it's the third month and you scrambling to get done.
I didn't read the Nu details properly, I though that was open like the Sinanju one so was in no hurry to start it.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »

and next think you know it's the third month

I'd hope you have more than one thought in 3 months  :P :P :P :P :P :P
Real men don't LOL!

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »

Dude you have met me, if I have more than one thought in three months i'm dangerous

Jimmy The Guz

• Commander
  • Play some SLAYER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »

Two months to produce "A" grade material would mean that I would only get about half of the project finished.  Three months seems like a better time frame, but again I am pretty slow when it comes to a fully painted and modded kit. 

Having the one more week would be good only if you really needed it, and only granted to the participates by the group build leaders.  I guess an individuals WIP's could also work for proof of progress on their project.

Either way I would be keen for a group build in the (n)OOB or basic painted category.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »

Either way I would be keen for a group build in the (n)OOB or basic painted category.

Poll #3 deals with categories  :)
Real men don't LOL!

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 05:38:38 PM »

The shorter the better I say to push people along!!

It is weather dependant though for most of us!

Can there be a 4th option of 'Either/Or"  :P
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)

Suzaku

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »

2 months would seem pretty good to me for something like a HG, which is what I'd be doing if I was doing a grunt build :P

I'd want at least 3 for an MG, but I like to pad my time. :P

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »

Neck to neck at the moment.

Looks like there are just as many who like the thrill of the chase as opposed to the Cheech & Chong approach  :)
Real men don't LOL!

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »

3 months is a tried and tested formula. It yields the most amount of finishers and gives the slowpokes time (COUGH) and the last minute scramblers time to scramble, and the methodical time to be meticulous. It also allows time for fubars to be rectified.
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF