Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
April 07, 2020, 05:39:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad

Poll

What categories would you like to see.

Open only. Nothing else.
- 0 (0%)
Open & Enhanced OOB.
- 3 (17.6%)
Open, Enhanced OOB & Strictly OOB.
- 7 (41.2%)
Open, Enhanced OOB, Strictly OOB & Snapped.
- 2 (11.8%)
Open, Enhanced OOB & Snapped.
- 5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: April 16, 2013, 11:37:10 AM

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Poll 3. Grunt Build modelling categories.  (Read 1431 times)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Poll 3. Grunt Build modelling categories.
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »

This is tricky one as not everyone has the same skill levels or wants to build highly detailed kits. Whilst OOB builders should be given some consideration I feel in the past we have probably overly complicated things in trying to do that. Indeed that's what GAF is all about, giving everyone a go and not just ending up with a forum full of so called elite builders with the ego's to match.

This poll won't be a simple yay or nay poll but each choice will have a series of categories that will be explained below. I hope to cover each level of build skill but if you feel you have another way to cover things then please say so and the poll can be altered if needed. It goes without saying that Open will be one of the categories but what other categories would you like to see catered for?

For the purpose of this poll the following definitions apply:
Open; Anything goes. Paint, decals, metal, resin or plastic replacement parts, show room shiny to shot to pieces dirty.
OOB Enhanced; This allows for the replacement of kit parts with aftermarket detail parts. For example you can replace the kit nozzles with metal or plastic aftermarket nozzles but you cannot add additional nozzles. Additional decals and markings are allowed as is painting and weathering. Putty can be used to fill gaps but not to reshape.
Strictly OOB; As the name suggests if it isn't in the box it can't be used. The model can be glued, painted & weathered but that's it. No additional decals or markings and no mods no matter how small. Putty can be used to fill gaps but not to reshape.
Snap fit; Grass roots build. Only what comes in the box and panel lining. No glue, no paint, no additional markings.

Choice 1: Open only. Nothing else.

This choice goes against the GAF philosophy but needs to be mentioned. Basically this means that a snapped no paint kit will be going up against a no holds barred kit. Whilst this simplifies things greatly is it really the way to go  :-\

Choice 2: Open & Enhanced OOB.

Going on previous builds this seems to be how the final line up pans out. There always seems to be plenty of starters in the less modified choices but not so many finishers and I think most people like to tweak their kits a little bit.

Choice 3: Open, Enhanced OOB & Strictly OOB.

This combination allows separation from the tweakers and the true OOB builders. Whilst similar options have been offered in the past there always seems to be not enough Strictly OOB builders finishing.

Choice 4: Open, Enhanced OOB, Strictly OOB & Snapped.

This gives every type of builder a category but I feel as has happened in past builds there won't be enough finishers in each category to prevent auto wins.

Choice 5: Open, Enhanced OOB & Snapped.

I have included this choice for complete coverage. If snapped kits really do have a place in these builds then going on past results the Strictly OOB category can be left out. I get the feeling from previous builds that people are wanting to shift up a notch or two and get stuck into painting, decaling and small mods if not the whole hog  ;D
Real men don't LOL!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Re: Poll 3. Grunt Build modelling categories.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »

I chose option 5, Open, Enhanced OOB & Snapped as I feel that covers the most ground without having too many categories. As I said, going on past builds Open & Enhanced will be where most people will end up and in keeping with GAF philosophy Snapped is there for those who don't have the confidence or desire to go beyond what's in the box but would still like to participate in the build without being intimidated by more advanced techniques.
Real men don't LOL!

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »

I voted Number 3-Open, Enhanced OOB & Strictly OOB- as I feel it suits most people. If you are a snapper (like I am) you can still enter strictly OOB and just not paint it. The description says 'can paint' not 'must paint'. Whilst you may be at a disadvantage re painting, to me strictly OOB also implies stock colours so you are not that far behind the 8 ball if you dont paint as it were. If done well, a non painted model will always compete with a stock coloured model in my opinion, especially with the newer kits.

Also there could be in the future a strictly snapped GB to focus on basic skills etc which were a bit of an issue in the last GB.....just a thought
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

The first Grunt Build was snappers only. Whilst it got a few entries I got the feeling people wanted more.

There is no doubt that Strictly OOB kits can compete but every time an option such as this is used there are heaps of gunna's and very few doers. Ultimately the vast majority like to personalise their kit. I feel a well done Strictly OOB would hold it's own against an Enhanced kit so that is why I chose to give Snapped a place and leave Strictly out but I feel that when push comes to shove Open and Enhanced will always be the majority finishers.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:14:33 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »

True......
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »

No clear winner here.

I think seeing as there is support for both Open & Enhanced OOB with a split between Strictly OOB & Snapped that Open & Enhanced OOB are always included and leave it up to whoever is hosting the build as to whether they want Strictly OOB or Snapped.
Real men don't LOL!
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF