Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
March 29, 2020, 09:01:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad

Poll

Do you want future Grunt Builds to follow a theme and timeline.

Yes. I want future Grunt Builds to follow a theme and timeline.
- 17 (73.9%)
No, I want a free for all. No theme or timeline, just grunts.
- 1 (4.3%)
Theme but no timeline.
- 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: April 16, 2013, 12:49:06 PM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poll 2: The direction (or theme) of future Grunt Builds  (Read 3768 times)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Poll 2: The direction (or theme) of future Grunt Builds
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »

To me theme is the most important aspect of the Grunt Builds. It has been suggested that we just have an anything goes build. Any time line, any battle front, any kit. I feel that this approach leaves us no where to go for future builds. Sure we will more than likely get a great turn out with some great builds but I feel it will be a disjointed collection with no underlying theme tying them together. If we stick to a particular era and battle front everyone is building models that have some connection within the Gundam verse.

I understand that there are people who feel the alternative timelines are being ignored but as can be seen by the poll that was conducted before the start of the #4 Grunt Build not a lot of love exists for anything outside UC (Universal Century, not just Unicorn) at the moment. As it is envisaged that these builds will be ongoing, non UC timelines will come into play. One of the problems with non UC builds is Bandai's lack of true grunt kits. Yes there are some old school grunt kits for Wing but they are getting hard to come by and Bandai are not re-releasing them like the old school MSV kits. The other problem Wing has and this applies to 00 as well is that the grunt choice is pretty limited as both shows are basically a bunch of elites in custom MS taking on the bad guys who also seem to have an over abundance of custom MS  :-\

On to the choices for this poll.

Once again a simple two choice poll. Please feel free to elaborate on your choice by posting below.

Choice 1: Yes, I want future Grunt Builds to follow a theme and timeline.

Examples could be; builds specific to each series such as 0080 War in The Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memories or a broader area such as space conflicts or ground conflicts within the UC.

Choice 2: No, I want a free for all. No theme or timeline, just grunts.

A build of this type would be any grunt type kit Bandai has ever released.

Choice 3: Theme but no timeline.

This option would allow any era but I would say themes will be restricted to modifications or general areas such as space or ground. As the timelines do not share history, conflict themes will be out. As the theme choices are limited I see this turning into a generic, make any kit build as opposed to the unique specific builds we have had in the past.

Please note that specifics such as the theme and time period will be determined for each build. This poll is only to gauge if people wish to go down that path.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:50:07 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Poll 2: The direction (or theme) of future Grunt Builds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

Agree completely with having a theme, sure we could have one gbex that's open but having a theme or goal that's unique to each round is part of the fun and what keeps each round feeling fresh.

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »

^^ this
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)

flamingeyebrows

• Captain
  • A few parts short of a full sprue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »

I am of the opinion that we should have a GB once in a while that have a theme but no universe or timeline limitations. I mean I am a uc fan boy as well but those who want to build some alternate universe suits should be allowed. :) Plus a change of pace is always refreshing. :)

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:15:15 PM »

^so something like "aquatic suits"?

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »

That would annoy the wing fans (because I'm almost positive there's no aquatic grunts there) but ye broad themes with no universe restrictions is something many want and in moderation something that will most likely happen me thinks ;)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:59:34 PM »

That would annoy the wing fans (because I'm almost positive there's no aquatic grunts there) but ye broad themes with no universe restrictions is something many want and in moderation something that will most likely happen me thinks ;)

On current trends, 11 votes to 2 tells me otherwise, I may be wrong.

As far as aquatic suits is concerned there's nothing stopping you from doing an MS in a bikini or you could do a full rubber suit and call it The Gimp  :) or dress it up in one of these
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:00:13 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

flamingeyebrows

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »

On current trends, 11 votes to 2 tells me otherwise, I may be wrong.

Currently, the vote is just everything goes or both theme and universe limitation. I think majority want a theme but not all of them want a universe limitation. Perhaps another vote after this one to see who want just theme or also universe limitation? :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:49:05 PM by flamingeyebrows »

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 12:12:36 AM »

The poll still has two weeks to run so lets see. I'm afraid I don't see what you're seeing. At the moment you're the only one who's really banging the no timeline drum. I can't see how another poll will do any good as an open timeline doesn't not really allow for a common theme as the MS have different designs specific to that timeline.

I'm sure if people want to mix UC, 00 and Seed they would have said something and at the moment that appears not to be the case but if it turns out in two weeks that's what is wanted then so be it.

As was mentioned in the opening post other timelines WILL come out to play in future builds.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:38:30 AM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Torquamedus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:18 AM »

im in two minds with this firstly themed builds would be interesting but I do like the randomness of the ones before maybe have it alternating one build themed then next random and so forth

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:37:02 AM »

but I do like the randomness of the ones before

All previous Grunt Builds apart from the very first one have all been themed. Some have had an open ended timeline but all have had an underlying theme.

Ode to Cannon Fodder was just grunts from any era. It had 21 starters & 7 finishers (33%)
#1 was Vanguards of Zeon (snappers only) It had 9 starters (I think as it's not clear in the topic who did start) & 5 finishers (56%)
#2 was 0079 Ground War. It had 12 starters & 9 finishers (75%)
#3 was Shattered Century (UC timeline only). It had 17 starters & 9 finishers (53%)
#4 was Squad Leaders and Aces (UC timeline 0079 to Unicorn) It had 19 starters & 13 finishers (68%)

The two builds that had the most relaxed requirements (Ode & #3) also had the lowest finish rate. One possible conclusion from this is that as the requirements were more relaxed people struggled to complete their entries as they weren't sure how to finish off their kits. Too many ideas and not enough time to execute them. By having tighter requirements people can home in on what they want to build and get it done.

I'm sure a certain caftan wearing, balls swinging freely person would disagree  ;D

Real men don't LOL!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Important notice. Poll has new option. Theme but no timeline.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »

I've added a new option to the poll.

Choice 3: Theme but no timeline.

I have altered the poll setting so you can delete your previous vote and vote for this option if you so desire.
Real men don't LOL!

flamingeyebrows

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:41:36 PM »

That's great, Gunny.

Just to be clear, I a. Not wanting all future GB to be timeline-less. Just every one in a while it'd be nice if non UC get to play that's all. And I am not actually wanting to build a OO kit either. :P

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 07:26:55 AM »

Just for the sake of openness and possible future planning, which era are you interested in?

zahmad

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 07:56:51 PM »

I say UC all the way!
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF