Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
December 14, 2019, 08:44:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Sprue Lagoon: Gundams and more!  (Read 8603 times)

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: The Sprue Lagoon: Gundams and more!
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »

The BRAT keeps on rolling! Well, not physically, since I haven’t done the wheels and tires yet, but it’s metaphorically well on its way!

One part of cars I really like is the interior, and while it’s simple, the old AMT Brat has some nice detailing. The texture of the carpet and the detail on the door panels and seats is great; it’s a bit too bad it isn’t going to be more visible! Still, I’ve had a good time building it, and I’m glad that I cut the bucket separate from the bed. Best move ever.

I’ve also got the paint on, and that meant it was time to look at the decals. Since this is an original BRAT, not the reissue, I don’t have that super-nice looking new sheet to work with. I had a scan of it, but that’s cheating, and I wanted to make the originals work. WOW… that’s quite a fight!

Check out the ups, downs ins and outs at the link below! Despite what it looks like, I think things are getting close!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/2019/07/31/brat-update-3-sit-down-dress-up-and-hold-on/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »

An old adage is “If it looks right, it flies right”. This implies that a well-designed, well-flying plane is one that is aerodynamically sound, and that this translates, on some subconscious level, to a perception of beauty. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but by and large it is pretty true. (I think the A-10 is hot, so don’t bring that as a counterexample!)

Of course, beautiful planes are one thing, but just like how I like loser cars, I have a thing for making pretty airplanes ugly. I absolutely love it when a plane gets all kinds of lumps and bulges, be it for EW purposes, or some other reason. One thing above all that I love is a big spine! Taking an otherwise lithe and athletic aircraft and putting a MASSIVE SPINE on it just works. OA-4Ms, Thunderstick II Thuds, Sufas… you name it, if it has a big spine or a hunchback, I’m on it like… well, a fat spine on a lithe plane!

Thus, I was pretty pumped to get my hands on the Zveszda Mig-29SMT. Nothing takes the “Russian-chic” of the Fulcrum and junks it up like a massive hunchback of a fuel tank! Add a centreline tank to add a belly, and the poor SMT’s just got “fat and slow” written all over it! Check out Zvezda’s take on this last of the original Fulcrum family at the link below. You can’t like to yourself anymore; you know you want it!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/zvezda-1-72-mig-29-smt-oob/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »

For me, building models is an equal part of artistic expression and attention to detail. It all depends on the kit itself, and how I’m feeling at the time. When it comes to Gundams, though, it’s a toss-up, in most cases, as to whether I’ll build it box-stock or customize it. One thing I do love to do, though, is make non-canonical MSs fit into their respective (although usually it’s the UC) universe!

As if reading my mind, Bandai’s excellent “Build Fighters” series kits walk the perfect line between canon and fanciful,  and there are many great designs that improve on their originals rather well. One example of that is the fanciful, knight-like “Gyancelot”. With a plumed headdress, cape and Zeon Crest-shaped spear, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s just not UC-able. However, that’s just what I did – reworked the mech’s colours and backstory so it made sense within the UC timeline!

Check it out below, and let me know what you think. Have you had any other ideas of what to do with your Gyancelot, if you have one?

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/bandai-1-144-yms-15gc-gyan-crusader/

syn 76

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2019, 07:16:18 PM »

Love the colours,great job.

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2019, 10:40:49 AM »

Thanks man!

I really think that it is a much better looking suit than the original Gyan. I appreciate your feedback; not too many people have commented on this one, but it's one I'm really proud of!

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2019, 10:41:12 AM »

When it comes to the Cold War, there’s little more iconic, at least in Europe, than the Avro Vulcan bomber. With an advanced design and powerful engines, the Vulcan was the bomber that looked like a space ship and handled like a fighter. I remember seeing it when I was very young at the London (Ontario, Canada) International Airshow. It was amazing then, and it’s still amazing now, even though XH558 is no longer flying.

Of course, this symbol of British achievement makes a natural subject for a toy from a top British maker. Dinky thought so too, and thus undertook to develop and sell a Supertoys-sized replica of the silver, dart-like bomber in the mid-1950s. Space, jets and all things fast were all the rage, and Dinky thought a Vulcan would be a sure seller. They were right. However, due to a serious oversight, only 500 or so of this mould were ever produced. They were so awesome they LITERALLY broke the mould.

Amazingly, I have (thanks to my brother) managed to get one of these for my collection. If you’ve never seen one before, I’m not surprised. I hadn’t either until I got mine as a Christmas gift. Check out Dinky’s biggest example of “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory” at the link below.

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/dinky-toys-supertoys-no-749-992-avro-vulcan/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »

I think this might redefine “labour of love” for me; the BRAT is finally done! It took a lot, and there were so many big and little things that had to be done to get the darned thing together, but I have to say it was all worthwhile.

Since turning one down at the dawn of my interest in car kits, I’ve always wanted a chance to build one of these lovably oddball machines. I got my chance when I picked one up about a year ago, and now it’s done and on my shelf.

Check out my original AMT BRAT, with custom-resized decals in all its chicken-tax-evading glory at the link below, and let me know what you think. Who out there is building the resissue? I’m interested to know if it has the same issues!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/amt-matchbox-1-25-1978-subaru-brat/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2019, 11:16:54 AM »

Summer is a great time for road trippin’, and nothing makes a trip better than getting some good sprue along the way. I did well on a two-pronged trip in August, and I just got the stuff organized. I thought it would be fun to share my haul from Michigan to Hamilton , Ontario!

Check it out at the link below; if you thought I had eclectic tastes before, well… just think that now I’m going from Barbie Vette to nuclear missile, and all points in between!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/scores-and-collections/2019-end-of-summer-haul/[/B

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »

There’s nothing quite like the unknown to get the old imagination cranking. One facet of this from a modelling perspective is to embrace sci-fi subjects. However, there’s another way to go about it, and that’s “What-If” or “whif”-type subjects. Of course, for some of us, both are equally as much fun, and my stack of anime kits and Luft ’46 creations attests to this.

One of the cooler Whifs that’s kind of real, but still not really known, is the stealthy Blackhawk (?) derivative used in the raid on Osama Bin Laden’s compound. Sure, the raid left a tantalizing souvenir in the form of a tail rotor pylon, but even after that, little has come to light about the chopper, and the entire program remains rather closely-guarded.

Amazingly, only Dragon (so far as I know) has bothered to try to kit this famous “boogeyman” of an airplane, and sadly only in  1/144. Still, as far as Whifs go, it’s a pretty cool subject, and the small scale only helps hid that not a lot of detail is known about the bird. Check out my out of box review for it below; make sure you’re wearing a tinfoil hat, though, first!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/dragon-1-144-stealth-blackhawk-oob/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2019, 12:08:48 PM »

Pretty much everyone who knows me knows that I love loser cars, everyday cars and the stuff that most people don’t even think about. Well, there’s not much more of a loser everyday car than one of the best-selling, but most boring, of all the ‘70s three-box sedans: the Ford Granada! Unfortunately, while the real car sold well, there wasn’t a lot of interest from kit makers. Just imagine the awesome MPC decal variants that COULD have been made with an early Granada kit!

However, I recently was given quite a rare little gem; one of the 1/32 Lindberg Ford Granadas! Depicting a ’76 Ghia, from what I can tell, this simple little kit is not one you see everyday. Depsite its simplicity, it’s still a good replica, especially form about 2 feet out!

Check out my Out of Box review for the Granada at the link below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/lindberg-1-32-1976-ford-granada-oob/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2019, 09:58:13 AM »

Some people say you can never have too much of a good thing. Then there’s the person who coined the term “Embarrassment of riches”. Well, somewhere  between those two things comes something I think most modellers are familiar with: a collection. Now, I don’t just mean a collection of things that are related, like “British side-by-side Two Seaters” or “Third Reich Research Aircraft”. No, I mean when you have multiples of the same basic thing, like “All Subtypes of Navy Phantoms” or “Every Sherman Variant” or, my favourite “A Boatload of RX-78s, even though they’re not your favourite Gundam”.

I’m sure we all have such things that we just can’t seem to get enough of. Given my bent towards loving the automotive underdog, it might not come as a surprise to find I have a bit of a Monza fetish. Yes, GM’s sporty-ish H-body from the mid-‘70s just seems to be something I have recently taken a shine to. I blame Ashbrook’s Hobby in Richmond MI – that’s where I got a lot of them! Five, in fact. But fear not, I actually have a full six!

Check out this most colourful and intersting variety of a car that was adored by the kit makers back in the day, and which Round 2 has even seen fit to reissue! (Note: that’s a Monza I didn’t buy… I only buy period Monzas. I’m a Monza-Snob!) Don’t forget to  vote and/or comment on which one you want me to review first!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/scores-and-collections/monza-mayhem/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2019, 11:14:19 AM »

A challenge is one thing, but sometimes you just run into something that’s just difficult for no reason, and it seems as if the designers can be heard sitting in their conference room snickering “Hah! Let them figure THIS out!”

Sadly, the Zvezda Mig-29 SMT is one such kit. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a nice enough looking kit, and all the weapons and features it has still make it cool. However, there are some design choices that break the “questionable” boundary and spin off into the void of unnecessary complexity. A perfect example of this latter kind of design are the intakes on Zvezda’s lumpy Fulcrum.

I know a lot of people were eager to see this one built, so I thought I’d best warn everyone that this is one Fulcrum that might push YOU past the tipping point! Check out my build report below, and don’t say I didn’t warn you about this one!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/2019/12/04/mig-29smt-update-more-work-than-it-ought-to-be/

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF