Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
November 15, 2018, 08:23:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Sprue Lagoon: Gundams and more!  (Read 6599 times)

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: The Sprue Lagoon: Gundams and more!
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »

I proudly admit that I am a child of the ‘80s, and that growing up my favourite things were giant robots. It didn’t matter to me if they were Transformers, GoBots or piloted mecha from cool shows like Robotech or Voltron. Big robots = awesome. That’s true math.

Since growing up kinda sucks, I think I decided not to bother, and I still love robots today! However, there’s something about ‘80s robots and ‘80s mech anime that just grab me and won’t let go. The art style, the character designs and the slightly looser constraints on what was allowed in terms of mech design really combine to make an irresistible product.

That’s why I was so excited to not only get to watch Metal Armour Dragonar (albeit with questionable subs), but to get my hands on pretty much every 1/144 kit from the series! The first one I built was the Schwalg, an enemy flying mech known, appropriately, as a Flug Armor.

Check it out, and see why these simple but awesome kits are some of my prized possessions!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/mecha-robots/bandai-1-144-flug-armor-ffa-02-schwalg/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 09:53:51 AM »

When they said “Everything old is new again”, they weren’t kidding! I just recently went to my local Hobby Toy Central and was shocked to find old Silhouette Formula F-91 kits on the shelves! The last time I saw that was literally 18 year ago! In fact, I figured that these kits had all disappeared and would never be seen or heard from again.

To that end, 15 years ago, I took the opportunity to grab one that a student of mine found in Asia when he was home for the summer. I would have placed bets that it was the last of its kind that would be found on this continent when he brought it to me. Well, I guess that was wrong…

Still, the timing couldn’t be better, since I can show off my old-new-oldly new new kit (you followed that, right?) and be right on the bandwagon! So, check out my RXF-91 Kai Silhouette Gundam at the link below, and let the retro robot assault begin!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/bandai-1-100-rxf-91-kai/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »

I do love building Gundam kits, and other mecha besides as well. However, mecha aren't the only things I build! While I’m not as hardcore into all the fine details as many armour guys out there, I do like me some good old ground-pounding, mud-churning armour to build once in a while. I rarely, of course, indulge in larger or more expensive kits (the Takom G6 Rhino is a dream of mine, and likely will be for a long time to come). No, I prefer simpler, smaller more (gasp!) fun kits.

To me, that means old-school, small-scale stuff, like Fujimi and Matchbox 1/76. Of the two, it’s no surprise to most who know me that Matchbox kits are my absolute favourites. I LOVE them, and I am forever glad that Revell seems to reissue them regularly. One such kit that got a reissue just recently was the 1/76 Pak 40 and Sdkfz. 11 halftrack, one of the larger “multi sets” that Matchbox originally came out with to expand their armour range.

Check out what’s in the box of this newly revived masterpiece below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/1-76-revell-matchbox-pak-40-sd-kfz-11-out-of-box/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 10:25:12 AM »

While Gundams themselves aren’t as customizable, being the “main characters”,  supporting mecha lend themselves to any and all kinds of imagination, reimagination and customization. It helps that the Gundam kits that Bandai cranks out are so well-made and forgiving, it allows for a lot of parts swapping and alteration without the worry of ruining a kit or having to do a tonne of scratchbuilding, unless, of course, you want to.

A perfect candidate for this kind of treatment is the Re/100 Efreet from the recent Reborn 100 line of large scale, but simplified and lower-cost kits. Given the Efreet’s bad-arsed appearance, I decided to customize mine into what it would look like if the Efreet had been produced for at least ace use, instead of the Gouf.

The result is the Efreet Blazer custom, portrayed in the colours of Norris Packard from the excellent 8th MS series. Check it out, and let me know what you think!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/mecha-robots/bandai-1-100-ms-08-efreet-blazer-custom-norris-packard-use/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »

Even if it’s a loser car, with a loser engine (which it is), I still like to try and make the interior and chassis of a car kit look as good as possible. Of course, when you’re talking about the make-work-project that is the MPC 1979 Pinto “Pony Express” reissue, that’s not exactly an easy chore.

Thankfully, the chassis and interior on this kit are fairly simple, and require  less reworking than the body and engine!

Check out my progress at the link below. This little beast is edging further towards completion!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/2018/09/12/pinto-update-3-inside-underside-tnt/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »

Since it’s the end of Summer as I write this, and the days are getting shorter, I thought it would be appropriate to put up a display of my “Sunset Stripe” cars. Unsurprisingly, most of them are MPCs, since that was right up their alley!

Check out this collection at the link below, and get your time machines ready!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/scores-and-collections/sunset-stripes-car-collection/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2018, 07:06:57 AM »

I’m sure everyone’s heard of an embarrassment of riches, right? Well, what happens when the riches you have are embarrassing, and they’re so plentiful that you get paralyzed by choice?

Well, for one thing, you get what happened to me! At my local show just recently, I hit the vendors hard, and got so many amazing kits that I am a bit stuck for which one to open up and review first! When you’re weighing things like a Firebird station wagon, a four-door Corvette, a BRAT and a Messerschmitt cycle car, it’s not easy to come to a quick decision.

So, I’m doing what anyone would do, when staring down the Magnum PI Vanagon and a Suzuki Samurai… I’m asking for help!

Check out my awesome score of total automotive oddballs, and give me a hand with a vote for what you want to see as the next out of box car on the Lagoon! Just follow the link below, but be ready… awesomeness awaits!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/scores-and-collections/london-model-show-haul-2018/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »

Well, the results are in and the people have spoken! Of the kits I managed to snag in London (Ontario, Canada) during the model show at the end of September, one has been quite overwhelmingly chosen as the “king of the losers”! The winner of this dubious title was the AMT BRAT, that awesome little bundle of tax-evading passenger un-safety!

The margin  of victory was considerable, with 71 votes, the Brat managed 17. Sure, that’s only 24%, but in Canadian politics at least, that’s more than enough to win!  Given that the BRAT is also one of my top purchases (since I stupidly passed one up years ago) I was more than willing to dive right in and get you guys an Out of Box report on this fairly rare little beast. So check it out below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/amt-matchbox-1-25-1978-subaru-brat-oob/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2018, 06:04:01 AM »

A lot of people say that things are “like riding a bicycle”, meaning that once you get the hang of it you can’t really forget how to do it. However, if you think about it, riding a bike is hard. There are a lot of specialized skills involved, and it requires training, persistence and special equipment to get the hang of it.

Flying is very similar, and basic flying training is, and always will be, an important part of any pilot’s journey to the skies. Of course, compared to flashy fighters and bombers, the trainers aren’t as “imagination grabbing”, and so they often get left out in the cold. Thankfully, Matchbox had the sense to help rectify this when they issued their kit of the Percival Provost T.1, the RAF’s standard trainer for quite some post-war time.

This isn’t a kit that I’ve seen very often, and to my knowledge it’s not one that Revell has ever repopped, or at least not for a while. Check out this little forgotten bird at the link below, and bring your sunglasses!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/matchbox-1-72-percival-p-56-provost-t-1-out-of-box/

Mechworker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »

¬¬¬Well, after a lot more work than I thought it would be, the Pinto Crusing Wagon is now done! Just like the real car, this one was lot of headaches interspersed with some chagrins. Thing is, it’s an old MPC, and I was expecting some trouble. Not as much as I got, but I sure didn’t expect a “Clean Getaway”, so to speak!

I’m really very glad to have a stock representation of one of what might be the lamer attempts to add performance through striping. I am now excited to get my hands on the ’77 Cruising Van that Round 2 just put out, so I can have two examples of Ford’s attempts to conjure up tapestripe horsepower!

Check out this little beast at the link below, and be warned: you’re likely not going to see this kit built often simply because there’s so much wrong with it. However, in the end, it is all worth it, because it’s a Pinto Cruising Wagon, and how much lamer does it get than that?

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/cars/round-2mpc-1-25-1979-pinto-cruising-wagon/

Pages: 1 2 [3]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF