Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
November 21, 2017, 08:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Sprue Lagoon: Gundams and more!  (Read 5830 times)

Mechworker

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
Re: The Sprue Lagoon: Gundams and more!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »

If it’s one thing I love, it’s a Mobile Suit with a lot of guns. I mean, hand-to-hand combat in a giant robot is fun, but really, if you can load it with guns and missiles, why not? Given that so many mecha are like that anyway, is it any surprise a lot of people refer to them as “walking tanks” (even though they’re technically not)?

Well, what happens when you take the “walking” out of the equation? You’re left with “Tank”. Generally, I’m a fan of Zeon, but I like Federation suits better. One exception to that rule is the Guntank. I’ve never really seen a use for the original Guntank, and there’s never been a kit of it that’s good enough to make me care to build it. Until now.

The last thing I needed was something that would take up a lot of space, let alone NOT be a true MS. However, after looking over the Master Grade Guntank, I was hooked! Check out my out of box review, and see how Bandai managed to get even ME to buy one!

Is there an RG next? That’d be cool too…

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/bandai-1100-master-grade-rx-75-guntank-oob/

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »

If you want to sell me a mech kit, it doesn’t take much; either put a beam shield on it or guns on its shoulders, and it’s almost a guaranteed sale!

I guess the folks at Bandai must have read my mind when they released the first ReZEL Command type, since it had a nice over-the-shoulder cannon. Of course, at the time, I didn’t know they were going to release a Defenser ReZEL with TWO  cannons on it! Thus, when that kit came out, I had to buy it as well. You’d swear they did it on purpose!

The Defenser ReZEL is a very cool kit, and with all the wings, engines and pointy bits, it looks amazingly mid-‘80s will still also retaining a very modern vibe. All said and done, it was a blast to build and looks great on a shelf. Check out my build here, and let me know what you think!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/mecha-robots/bandai-1144-rezel-type-c-defenser-b-unit-gr/

Mechworker

• View Profile
HG Legilis Out of Box Review
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »

Looking at the last few Non-UC Gundam stories, I’ve felt a little let down. I totally disliked almost all aspects of Reconguista in G, and even most of the mechanical designs did nothing for me. I only bought two kits, if that tells you anything!

However, I did enjoy AGE. I seem to be in the minority, but I liked the show and always found the kits to be a good ‘impulse buy’ when I was at the hobby shop. There was a lot of variety in the designs, but most of them were interesting. I particularly liked the way the Vagan suits all seemed to have weird features, like tails!

That’s why I was really taken with the Legilis: It’s a Gundam, but with a tail! It’s also extremely cool-looking and very, very lithe. Usually I end up getting the heavy-armour-types, but the Legilis justlooked so fast, even standing still!

I was digging through the stash the other day and it occurred to me that it’s been a while since I heard about AGE at all, and I thought I’d share a quick Out of Box review of the Legelis. If you like your Gundams with a tail and wings, you’re in!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/bandai-1144-gundam-legilis-xvm-fsc-oob/

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 06:44:37 PM »

Fun thing about the Legilis is that you can separate the head and wings and have it fly around like some sort of disembodied creature. The reason I find it amusing is because there's stories from my home country about a mythical creature that does just that.

I was actually tempted to buy one of the Legilis kits and turn it into a Manananggal but never got around to doing so before they all sold out. Still plan to do this someday.

If you look at artist renditions fo manananggal you'll see why:
http://img11.deviantart.net/2093/i/2012/131/b/9/manananggal_by_chetosee-d4zbhr9.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PnjjmHmE344/TzzSUd7w0FI/AAAAAAAAAH0/_-7jJtgWVYQ/s1600/manananggal1___by_Iaaaaaaaaaan.jpg
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:50:20 PM by Wavehawk »
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 08:06:49 AM »

Yeah, the flying "draqon head" thing is a weird gimmick. It's like a core fighter mixed with Beetlejuice!

I've never heard of a Manananggal, but that's pretty creepy. The Legilis would work well for that.

I'm surprised it's sold out. I didn't think most new Gundam kits COULD be sold out, they made so many of them!

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 01:45:56 PM »

Just like in the now-classic Christmas movie “A Christmas Story”, I too am the recipient of a “Major Award”! While it might not be the hoped-for bowling alley, and it isn’t a leg lamp (kind of a shame, I know…) it is awfully cool.

I entered the Gundam Mid-Year Campaign 2015, and was lucky enough to be a winner in the contest! I won a set of 20 (Yes, 20!) Build Fighters Try kits. While some might criticize the show as being a big commercial for kits, I’ll say this; it works! The kits are beautiful, right on par with any other Bandai offering, and getting a 17lb box of models in the mail is just freakin’ sweet.

The only hard part was the waiting. I won in August, 2015, and just got these in the mail on January 26, 2016! Good things come to those that wait, I guess!

Check out the box of awesomeness here:

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/gundam-mid-year-campaign-2015/

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »

If it’s one thing I like, it’s a giant robot. Of course, if that giant robot happens to be all junked up with extra armour, missiles and guns, well, that’s just all the better, then!  Despite my love of nice clean mecha with lithe lines, it seems I never really build that many of them. I’m always drawn to build the ones with all the added “stuff”.

The Full Armour Gundam 7th is no exception. Of course, one explanation is that there’s NO version of this mech WITHOUT the armour, so it’s not like I had a choice!  Coming from a little-known Gundam game (that we in North America didn’t get, I don’t think), the Full Armour 7th is a pretty obscure machine.  Of course, it its original colours, it’s also a very gaudy and clownish-looking one too!

I think that a heavy armour suit should look the part, so I decided to totally reinvent this mech’s colour scheme. By darkening it up and unifying the colours, I think I got it looking  a lot meaner and more like the walking tank/battleship it was supposed to be.

Take a look and let me know what you think!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/mecha-robots/bandai-1144-hguc-fa-78-3g-full-armour-gundam-7th-ground-custom/

syn 76

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:03 AM »

Looks great,all the details stand out really well in those colours.I love the armoured look,might paint mine military style.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:07:45 AM by syn 76 »

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »

Thanks!

That's what I noticed when I started really looking at the kit; there were all these cool details, but the multi-coloured paintjob was ridiculously loud, and hid them all in a sea of what amounted to visual white noise, or "sight noise", as I sometimes call it.

For heavy armours and stuff, I quite like military colour schemes, myself.

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 08:16:54 AM »

If there’s one thing that I seem to have a real weakness for (other than obscure planes and loser cars) its robots. I love robots, and grew up with them. Thus, whenever I get a chance to take a look at some shiny new plastic that builds into some kind of awesome giant robot, I normally take it.

Of course, Gundam is the best source for new robot kits in the greatest variety and quantity. When the new series, Iron Blooded Orphans was announced, I have to admit I wasn’t too turned on by the looks of some of the mecha. However, that didn’t stop me from scooping up a couple at the local anime store when I saw a couple that did turn my crank!

One of the first ones I got was the oddly-named “Gushion Rebake”. I didn’t know anything about it at the time, but it had a different colour scheme from a conventional Gundam, and it had both a big gun and a pretty mean-looking overall countenance. Having seen the show now, I am very glad I got it, because it’s even cooler there than in kit form!

Check out my out of box review on this kit. However, just be warned that unlike a lot of new Gundam kits, this one is really tailored more to true modellers than those who just want to assemble the pieces.

Don’t forget to vote in the poll at the end of it too!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/bandai-1144-gusion-rebake-oob/

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 09:38:33 AM »

with the exception of the big shoulder things this is one of the few half decent looking ibo suits

your poll needs an in between option for the top two, i don't mind kits with less colors but not because i paint them always and it doesn't really effect my spending choices, less colors is way down there on the 'how good if the design' scale

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »

As a great fan of robots and mecha of all kinds, I really wish that there were good kits of Transformers as they appeared in robot mode. Not just little kits of the toys (which there were), but stylized replicas that didn’t transform and just looked cool standing there.

Unfortunately, that’s not something that seems to be out there. However, the next best thing, of course, is making your own! Sometimes, I’ll come across a Gundam (or other) kit that is  surprisingly similar to a Transformer, or some other robot, and I can have a blast re-purposing it and customizing it. 

That’s what happened when I came across the Gundam Tryon 3 from Build Fighters Try. I was not impressed with this goofy quasi-super robot. However, after some thought, I realized it would make a dandy model of G1 Predaking, and a great way to combine his toy and animation models! So, I set to work modifying the kit and created something completely one-of-a-kind.

Check out my take on a model of G1 Predaking at the link below!  There are lots more pictures there. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/mecha-robots/%EF%BB%BF-bandai-1144-predaking-from-gundam-tryon-3/

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »

While I don’t get as many of them built and posted as I’d like to, one of my favourite types of kit is a mech kit. I grew up in the ‘80s loving Tranformers and Robotech, and have, since then, been a big ‘robot junkie’. Normally, the robots I build are Gundams, but I have a few others from different series as well.

One series I was both thrilled to find that I could still get kits from was the planned successor to the Gundam franchise – Metal Armor Dragonar. I got what amounts to the whole set a while ago, and I thought it would be fun to take a look inside one and see what an old-skool mech was like.

The Dragonar kits are surprisingly nice for their age, and are much better than Gundam kits of the same era, actually! Check out the first of my Dragonars; the half-plane, half-humanoid (but not a Gerwalk/Guardian) Schwalg!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/bandai-1144-flug-armor-ffa-02-schwalg-oob/

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 07:14:02 AM »

One thing I’m not into, and never really was, is video games. I never got the allure of spending lots of time and money standing in crowded arcades when I could stay home and work on a model. However, one thing I AM into is cool-looking spaceships! It doesn’t matter to me if I know their backstory or not, for me spacecraft provoke a very deep and immediate response.

In this case, I was drawn to the Wave Non-Scale “Solvalou” fighter from a famous (well, not to me, but…) videogame of the ‘80s. This game was called “Xevious”, and while successful here, it was a huge hit in its homeland of Japan. To honour the game’s anniversary, kitmaker WAVE issued this model a few years ago.

I’m not sure about it’s origins, but man, it’s a neat looking ship with all kinds of potential! For something a bit different from the usual Star Wars, Star Trek and Gundam ships, check out the link below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/wave-non-scale-solvalou-fighter-oob/

Mechworker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 07:14:22 AM »

If there’s one thing that Build Fighters has taught us, it’s that it’s cool to customize Gundam kits. Of course, many of us knew that already. For a good number of us, the more generic types of MS kits (like Zakus, Doms and GMs) are sometimes even more attractive as canvases for our imaginations than the more famous mecha in the Gundam universe. 

A perfect example is the GM series from both the original Gundam, and it’s barely-upgraded Z Gundam follow on, the GM II. I was surprised when Bandai bothered to make a GM II, and I was even more surprised when I bought it. I don’t really like the GM II at all, but like all of its cannon-fodder  ilk, it had potential to be so much more!

Check out my GM Cannon modification to this otherwise hapless suit, giving it not only more punch and personality, but also making it harder to pin down in the UC timeline!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/bandai-1144-rms-179-gmii-cannon/

Pages: 1 [2]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF