Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
December 14, 2017, 12:41:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PS4 Announcement  (Read 3028 times)

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
PS4 Announcement
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »

Who watched it and what did you think?

Personally there is some real nice eye candy there
Was a bit dissapointed that Blizzards showing was only Diablo3
That new car game an Destiny look amazing

Might have to start saving now :)

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 Announcement
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »

watch dogs watch dogs watch dogs :P

i missed the first livestream due to a meeting but it just started replaying so im watching again, but i cheated and flicked through the 200 or so reader articles each of the game sites i follow posted :P

im liking the ability to easily share video and watch your friends play, and apparently take over control, although that will be interesting for those without the NBN or google fiber, just up to the vite talk, dont have a vita so dont care but it seems that its going to be compatible with any mobile device so hell yea, if i can play my ps4 games on my phone im so in

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »

i heard price around $460 im 'merica so probably $600 in Australia. Also i don't think we can play on a phone its not powerful enough and controls wouldn't work.

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »

I was kinda underwhelmed. Sure new hardware means games will (you'd hope) be 1080p with proper AA and never below 60fps, but at the end of the day it's a blackbox'd PC with unified memory. The 'recording as you play' thing is good for social stuff, too.

But no pricing details? No actual release date? Not even a sneak preview of the design?

At least they didn't announce Aliens: Colonial Marines for it.

flamingeyebrows

• Captain
  • A few parts short of a full sprue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »

i heard price around $460 im 'merica so probably $600 in Australia. Also i don't think we can play on a phone its not powerful enough and controls wouldn't work.

There's no price announced so that's entirely speculation.

Hardware wise it was everything that was expected. They didn't pull any bullish like must always be connected to internet or something so that was good. Social network integration doesn't do much for me and you just know that new record your gameplay on the fly feature is just gonna clog up youtube with 13 year olds' "oh, look at that noobzor haxxor! learn to no scope" videos.

The games looked sweet though. Especailly interested in Deep Down and Murdered: Soul Suspect. And you just know they next Final Fantasy game is gonna look mind blowingly good! :D

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »

the replay just finished some good stuff in there,

anyone expecting the price to be announced was fooling themselves and release date of "holidays" is typical lol not seeing the actual thing was a bit weir, the sony prez has since said he just wanted something kept under wraps for later on haha but im sure thats pr for we havent finished it yet lol, hardware wise is pretty much spot on with what people were expecting, some more power too match pc for the next couple of years and a boat load of RAM (the biggest gripe with current gen by devs btw).

The social sharing stuff should pan out to be good once the 13year old cod player get over it, we will be left with some quality lets plays which i find enjoyable, the touch screen on the controller has some good uses (once we get passed the silly ones just because its there), although i think a mini display would have been better although all reposts say the light bar thing is programmable so thats interesting.

all the games look great, destiny is looking like an awesome mix of MMO with its persistant world and an FPS with the rest, watch dogs has been high on my list since e3, capcoms game looks awesome and square enix have got themselves into an interesting position i think the next final fantasy will see jaded fans come back for a look on GFX alone so if they nail the game aspect they could claw back from the depths

E3 is going to be epic this year and microsoft have a bar thats been set pretty high, we all know that the xbox will be very similarly spec'd and we all know the 360 is more highly regarded this generation as the better user experience outside of games, but with sony seemingly fixing that with the addition of some nice new game focused bonus's (gaikai) the next box better offer something better then netflix and foxtel

oh and the lack of mention of any sort of used game shenanigans is great, they would have lead with that to try and bury it so id say 99% its non existant in the ps4, gaurantee the next box wont have it now either even it they were planning it

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »

Relevant!

Suzaku

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »

The hardware is generally pretty underwhelming, except for the RAM. 8GB of GDR5 is hella impressive.

The CPU is nothing spectacular--on par with low end laptops, though it's possible devs can do something fun with the extra cores--and the GPU is decent by the standards of the moment--not high end, but there are worse--but will be at least a generation out of date by the time the console actually launches. Possible significantly behind the times depending on what nVidia cooks up later in the year.

My main expectation from both the new Playstation and the new Xbox is that they will run games at 1080p and 60fps with no stutter. If they can't do that, then they're criminally underpowered.

I'm happy that Sony is not planning to lockout access to used games as a matter of course, but Yoshida has still left the door open for publishers to do things along those lines on their own. I doubt Sony-published titles will require registration, or another method to block used play, but I'm less confident that other publishers, like EA or Ubisoft, will be as gracious.

A likely lack of any kind of backwards compatibility is also a downside, but not surprising with the architecture switch.

Ultimately, while the PS4 is a significant update from the PS3, it's going to need to come in at a relatively low price point, or have a solid lineup of exclusives to be worthwhile. The gaming PC landscape is not like it was when the PS3 launched--back then building a relevant PC was much more expensive than it is now, and PC gaming has gone through something of a revival. There are far fewer console-exclusives these days, and even fewer of those come from western studios. And with the move to x86 architecture, I wouldn't be surprised to see even more PC ports next gen.

I expect the PS4 will be eventually worth a purchase for all those Japanese titles that never make it to PC, and may or may not hit the Xbox. If PS4 games are not region-locked, just like PS3 games, that will be a huge plus.

What this does do, however, is give the next gen Xbox a heck of a hill to climb. One of the big reasons the 360 did so well was that it was an easy architecture to code for, and Microsoft was good at getting dev kits to developers. One of those advantages has just evaporated, and if Sony learned from the dev kit issues the other one may as well. At that point, it will be up to how much money Microsoft wants to throw at developers or publishers for exclusives, or at least timed exclusives. With a similar architecture between systems, porting between them will be far less difficult, and the money Microsoft throws around may not be enough to offset the money that publishers can rake in by taking advantage of the PS4 install base. Couple that with the Japanese exclusives that the system will inevitably get, and it will create a pretty rough situation for the Xbox.

That all said, I have my doubts that Sony will catch up to Microsoft with their online aspect. They certainly haven't managed it yet. :P

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »

i thought the big thing about the hardware this time around is not so much its raw power but more about how the architecture has it all laid out that makes it in some way better then what is available in any pc atm? i definitely know that the "single system" advantage is what keeps consols competitive for years after release and i was under the impression this time round the architecture was well laid out in a fashion that will make it very competitive for a while yet

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »

Console hardware has been outdated for a while, really. Current PC hardware isn't used to the full potential. Think about how most console ports on PC run at much higher resolutions than the console version does, and usually at 60fps+ with efftonnes of AA. Look at the recent DmC release. Console people are upset with it running at only 720p 30fps (well, among other things). The PC version runs at 1440p 60fps+ with full AA and so on very easily on a moderate gaming PC. That's four times the screen resolution and twice as many frames per second, which (using stupid maths that don't really equal real world anything) 8 times as much stuff being rendered.

The big problem with PCs (which consoles solve) is you can't guarantee what your engine is being ran on, so sneaky optimisation techniques and fancy visual tricks are harder to do without it breaking on that one guys machine with a weird hardware profile. Console developers know that if they do this funny trick on the PS3, it'll work on all PS3s out there. They know they've got X amount of ram, and they can swap in and out Y amounts of texture data in Z seconds, etc. PC games can't do that. They can aim for a particular DirectX version, but people still get pissed that their 'gaming laptop' can't run DX11 stuff. If a developer were to release a game that would only work on a Core I7 3600k with 8Gb of RAM and a 6Gb RadeonX7970 videocard with a 128Gb SSD for storage and a XonarSTX soundcard running a clean install of Windows 7 with no other software running in the background, they'd be able to do all sorts of hacky fancy tricks they'd probably blow our minds. (But they'd kill so much of their market).

Vaguely mentioned in that last paragraph is the fact that consoles don't need to do proper multitasking. PCs have to devote a certain amount of their system to running the OS, keeping other tasks active, etc. They don't have to worry that, despite being told the machine has 4 cpu cores available, 2 of them are maxxed out.

TL;DR: Shaid talks about PCs > consoles and starts a flame war.

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »

yea see thats basically what i was getting without all the detail that helps it make sense lol, the specs may seem underwhelming but the single target and some internal trickery means you can pull off things PC's cant without murdering their market

lol @ flame war pc vs console is a very likely igniter but i think one this point most people agree

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »

lol @ flame war pc vs console is a very likely igniter but i think one this point most people agree

Real men don't LOL!

Rau Valeth

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »

As nice as all that was I'll personally be waiting for the inevitable Slim version.  After the last generation I don't trust this or the next Microsoft console to have lifespans beyond 2 years for the first version of the system. 

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »

That's a really good point. All first gen bricks seem to.have hardware and firmware issues that cause them to eff out on you a short lifespan away. This is particularly ishty for everyone that forks over full retail on release. iirc ps3 debuted at $700. I bought mine from Cashies for less than half that almost a year in. They seemed to retain value for some time actually.. Then after less than a year of mild gaming, BD playback & content streaming it started to overheat. I have no time for games anymore. I got old and just bought a blu ray player instead.

Suzaku

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 01:35:23 AM »

Well, you *could* get a version of the PS3 for less than $700 on release, but it was kinda neutered and not worth it. Not as badly as the hard drive-less 360 versions, but still. 20GB was not enough HDD space at all. Though, at least Sony provided instructions for replacing the PS3 hard drive right in the manual, and let you do it with any old 2.5" SATA drive. Unlike Microsoft. I hear using an SSD in a PS3 is pretty sick.

The hardware PS2 backwards compatibility built into the launch versions of the PS3 was nice to have since Sony removed it from later revisions (which then kept the prices for the launch versions of the console high), but I don't think we'll be running into anything like that with the PS4.
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF