Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 29, 2020, 02:13:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Diorama concept- Non Militarized mobile suits  (Read 2525 times)

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Diorama concept- Non Militarized mobile suits
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »

Hey guys! Another Diorama concept I wanted to chuck out there for thoughts and opinions. Working at a model train shop has proven very helpful in sourcing buildings and scenery. As HG Gunpla is scaled to 1/144 its IDEAL for combining with N scale model train accessories (which is most commonly 1/150 scale but is also 1/144 for British models). I really like the idea of building Dioramas as I feel it can really bring out a bit more character in the models, and actually say something beyond "boy that looks cool and detailed!". I'm a muso so I do like a bit of good story telling :)

Anyway the concept I have to post here came from this little fire station I put together just for the fun of it a couple of months back. Came together beautifully, and looks rather nice. I had the idea since to incorporate it in with some Gunpla, and the idea sparked just recently to give a mobile suit a "fire truck" paint job and give it a tank and hose to go with it. The most odvious choice for this is a HG Zaku Warrior with a cannon, which I could remodel to look like a tank and hose. I also think it would be a bit cheeky to modeify the helmet and give him a firemans helmet with a perspex sheild on it :)

Since then I also put together a small construction site, wich supplied me with a little collection of construction decals. I reckon it'd be cool to have another suit all decked out in saftey signs and a hard hat moving large sections of building.

I can't help but think these things should be in groups of 3....... but I'm not sure. Id love to see a mobile suit painted up with a tartin finish like a lumberjack hauling huge amounts of trees. But I'm not too sure on that front.

Just a concept I'm playing around with, would love to hear you guys' thoughts :)

Here's a pic of the buildings I have put together with a Zaku next to them as reference.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Re: Diorama concept- Non Militarized mobile suits
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »

Do the lumberjack. Do the lumberjack  :)

Real men don't LOL!

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:15:03 PM »

HAHAHAHA that never gets old :)

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »

Alright I had a couple of hours to burn whilst waiting to go see a mate so I thought I'd look more into this. I'm planning on how to approach building the Fire Fighter Zaku and I'd appreciate any and all advice. After trawling through some kits I noticed this bad boy:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10042093
(also comes in the standard green for the same price but I figured id keep it afew shades closer to the end result for the hell of it)

So here's my thoughts so far. I'm after this kit cause it has the pack with the container on it. What I'm planning to do is build a firehose/ gun fed from the container on his back. I had a quick look the backpack separately and that seems to be a no go, so this one will have to do, unless anyone knows of a spare parts kit that might be of use. Frankly the kit is so cheap anyway I don't think it really matters, and after a good lick of glossy red paint and a nice deal the tank will come up a treat.

I also need to think about the hose. Now the kit DOES come with one but I was thinking something more heavy duty and shiny might come up a bit better. I noticed our friends here have a nice collection of them. They are a bit pricey for an optional extra on a 10$ kit but I don't mind if it looks really nice.
http://curtratcliffe.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=29

Anyone used these before? I don't fully understand how they work just looking at them here but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'll also want some nice decals to give this guy some nice detail. I'll slap on some generic letters and number decals for his Serial (I don't like the stickers that come in HG kits so I'll use some waterslides I got from work) and I reckon I'll also go for these chrome guys:
http://curtratcliffe.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=104
Again if anyone has used them let me know how they go and if you think they might be too big for a 1/144 Zaku. 

RIGHT, and lastly my plan is to modify his helmet so it looks like a firefighters helmet. Now the plan is to give it a curved perspex sheild but I really am not sure how im gonna go about this. I COULD get some clear plastic paper and cut it out of that, which would bend and shape no problem, but I'd need to think of a good way to attach it. Something rigid would be better but I cant think of how to approach that.

I also have some plans for a construction worker Zaku but I'm doing this one at a time :) Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »

is it gonna be a realistic interpretation of what a firefighter zkau would look like or sort of a joke?
should make a police version and this http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/ZGMF-1000_Hospital_ZAKU_Warrior
then you have a set lol

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »

Nah I'd go for the more comical approach for sure. Sort of make it look half like a firetruck and half like a firefighter. I was thinking of going for more civil workers than emergency services. I have a good idea about doing a construction worker zaku as well but I'll stick to this one first. What I'm gonna do is pick up a couple of firetrucks and a firestation from work which will get me some extra decals and something to base the paint job on. I'll post those up when I can.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »

HG GM Sniper might be a good choice of suit with the seperate power pack & cable. IIRC Patlabor has a firefighting unit? Try searching Gundam & civillian at HLJ. There are a couple of civillian use suits from different series I think as well.

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »

mmm the sniper or ivies looks good, but I'd rather stick to Zakus as a personal preference :) I like the slightly goofy look of them. But thanks anyway good suggestion!

Btw I didn't mention before I remembered since:
Ill saw off the shoulder spikes and replace them with Red LEDS (like cherries on a firetruck), and I wont bother with the shield as it wouldn't really suit.

I'll build the hose gun by cutting off the front of a regular gun, probably the one that comes with it and then attaching a brass tube onto it. Should come up nicely I have a nice selection of scratch build products at work :)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »

Only the MG GM sniper has the power pack. The HG comes with a mini Apsalus III.
Real men don't LOL!

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »

Ah yes was wondering about that. Sticking to 1/144 scale so I can use N scale buildings. :)

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »

Only the MG GM sniper has the power pack. The HG comes with a mini Apsalus III.

I thought I saw the HG GM Sniper II with the cable and pack.. Perhaps someone used the wrong image? Seems the images have changed now.

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:28:32 AM »

fire fighting zaku, huh?
what's wrong with water shoot out of its groin armor - first flipped open of coz then the machine gu... I mean water pipe poking out that shoot out the water~
for extra brownie make the water into golden anti-reactive chemical liquid... :p
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:29:24 AM by dj898 »

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »

Careful mate its not wise to drink so early in the day ;)

Matt723

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »

A marasai head already looks quite a bit like a firefighter's helmet.
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF