Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
September 20, 2017, 06:49:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Model Line paint + Airbrushing problem  (Read 5407 times)

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Model Line paint + Airbrushing problem
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 12:35:56 AM »

Dude that's brilliant! Thankyou so much I'll give that a shot :) Overwhelmed with the amount of help I'm getting here guys!

Kaik you mentioned earlier about using a Lacquer thinners you got from Bunnings? Would you say its probably a better option over the Turps? I don't think the Turps is the problem here but its always good to know if there are other options.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 01:04:52 AM »

To be honest I've never cleaned my airbrush with mineral turpentine so I can't really give a comparison. For me I would say lacquer thinner is my best option because I only use water base and solvent based acrylics. If you find that you often use enamel paints in your airbrush then mineral turpentine might work better in that circumstance. If you're using turps and your airbrush is perfectly clean and dry after use then there really shouldn't be anything to stop you from using it. 90-100% (70% isn't so great) IPA is another great cleaner to use because it dries without leaving a trace.

Prior to spraying I will flush the airbrush with the same thinners used in the paint mixture. This sort of lubricates the airbrush and removes one more potential problem. If you've ever used Alclad II paints straight after a water based paint you can often find inconsistency in the paint work as a result of acrylic thinner or even water being mixed in. Trace amounts of turps can contaminate various types of paint because it's too aggressive and tends to adversely affect paint.   

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »

Ah ic. Well I'll give other stuff a go too. Its all very easy to switch back and forth between. I have always been careful not to let any turps get into my paints, but who knows maybe it snuck in trace amounts. Before now I've done afew enamels (don't really intend to keep using them though) and Tamiyas. Honestly with Tamiya I find it impossible to bugger it up. No matter what ratio or thinners I use the stuff just sprays like a dream, which may have gotten me into bad habits :P

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »

Success! I'm finally pleased with the results this paint has given me! Found the solution to get it to spray around evenly was to mix it THOROUGHLY with afew drops of airbrush cleaner and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

This still doesn't address the issue of it being particularly harsh in terms of clogging up my airbrush, but I can deal with that for now. To be honest after all this I think im gonna steer clear of these paints and give the Gunzes a go. I was drawn to these cause of the great range of colors, but they are just too high maintenance. I don't seem to be alone in this accertion the guy at Metro Hobbies mentioned having similar issues cleaning it our of his brushes. From WHAT I HEAR the Gunze seem to work at a similar standard to the Tamiyas. Although I'm sad to report that we wont be seeing another shipment of Gunze in Aus for atleast another few weeks due to some issues with the importing. So I'll have to be patient :(

I'll post pictures of this DOM when hes all complete. Shouldn't be too long now the hardest bit is well and truly over :P

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »

IMO Gunze is far better than anything else. Tamiya is OK but I have best success with anything by Gunze.

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »

Had to touch up some of the pink areas and the Vallejo decided to go back to its old tricks and completely change color. I've just gone over it with the Tamiya purple now, can't be f**ked bothering with this crap anymore. Let this be a warning to all those starting out airbrushing: STAY AWAY FROM THESE PAINTS!

On a brighter note not that I'm using my Tamiyas again the build is coming along great! just added from weathering effects with some gun metal grey and the whole thing is coming up really nice and speckly (the good kind of speckly not the rubbish the Vallejos were doing).

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 12:04:59 AM »

It is unfortunate you are encountering issues with Vallejo paints, they are definitely less forgiving if you don't mix them thoroughly.

cobraleader

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Cobraleader's Workbench
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »

i really hate Vallejo Model Air now .... brought a couple of bottles a few weeks ago, since i was hearing raving reviews about it ... used their airbrush thinner ... man talk about hard work ...

first up, drying in the nozzle ... had to open the pin to get it to flow, which caused the good old pooling.

lifted when masked ( and yes I waited several days).  I also stuck the tape to my arms and legs to remove most of the tackiness ... and yes, there are patches of hair missing and the model is a bit hairy

chipped easily from handling

used Gunze Clear Gloss acrylic over top of it and it ended up cracking - i started leaving 2 days between paint applications ...

had to use Vallejo Glaze Medium (i think thats what it was), got acceptable results, but drying time extended ... had to use hair dryer to speed it up ...

i have no problems with vallejo with hand painting, but with airbrush, its not worth it ... reminds me of the early Model Master paints you got in the bag to attach to the Aztec Airbrushes ...

going back to Gunze and Tamiya Acrylics ... they have yet to piss me off.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows him?

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »

I had lots of trouble with both Air and Color until I started using the Badger Cresendo http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=1481.0

Can't help you with the masking side as all the models I've painted with Vallejo have been single color with any other colors done by brush. I use mostly Gunze these days more for standardisation than any other reason. They have a pretty good range of colours and if I need any others it's usually Tamiya.

You need to use Vallejo clear over Vallejo, Gunze is solvent based and will affect Vallejo. Found that out the hard way as well  ::)
Real men don't LOL!

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »

I, too, endorse the Badger Crescendo. Only downside is that any time I eff up with airbrushing now I can't blame the paint or tools.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF