Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
July 06, 2020, 10:05:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Model Line paint + Airbrushing problem  (Read 7468 times)

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Model Line paint + Airbrushing problem
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »

Yeah I love the Tamiyas. Not finding them great with the brush atm though, might have to practice a bit on that front! Will worry more about that once I've got my airbrush technique sound :)

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »

I like to experiment with different brands from time to time but my main choice of paint is Gunze. Doesn't matter if it's Mr Hobby Aqua or Mr Color / Mr Metal Lacquer, I find anything by Gunze is by far the best for Gunpla. I used to rely on Tamiya as that was the only type of paint we had in town, but since another store opened which stocks Gunze, that's my main port of call if I'm desperate for paints.

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »

I find it amazing that you guys paint at such low pressures. I set the compressor to max(~60PSI) and just spray with full power with a gravity fed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:10:42 PM by QuangVuong »

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »

That's... pretty high.

Do you ever blow pieces off the sticks/desk/planet? ;)

Possibly you're not getting 60psi out the business end, if you have leakage along the way.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »

Wow 60 psi  :o

Are you sure your pressure gauge is working right?

Internal corrosion can affect the accuracy of the reading.

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »

60 seems overkill to me. Mostly I use 30 at most.

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »

I know my tank is rusty as, but the gauges work fine. And I reckon 60PSI doesnt come out of the AB. The air filter and the AB itself wouldnt allow 60PSI to pass through(even though the limiters are open to the max). If I spray at 30PSI, then the air flow seems too weak to me. Less paint comes out and Im just not used to that.

Could be how I mix paints as well(as ive never used model or airbrush ready paints). And I still reckon my painting is fine.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Piat

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure most AB are rated for 30psi max
"You dun Gouf'ed" - Ramba Ral

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »

Yeah 60 seems a little high dude :S I was told to keep my AB at 10 with the Tamiyas.

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »

Right, this is starting to get ridiculous........

I have a HG dom thats VERY PATIENTLY been sitting in pieces in my garage getting ready to be painted.... for about 2 weeks now.

So I sat down before to try and suss out the correct thinners, ratio ect. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make this paint spread evenly. It ALWAYS comes out in a broad speckle. I'm at my wits end here! I thought this was meant to be great paint, it seems to comes highly recommended from several sources >_< Its at the stage where I need someone to physically show me how to do this.

Here is a picture of the results I am getting every time I try this:

The purples at the colors I'm having issues with. The yellow is a Tamiya one I've used in the past and you can plainly see how much better that's thinning down! I swear I don't even have to try with the Tamiyas. I just wish they have a better range of colours!

I'm using 20 psi of pressure. The compressor is ancient but shes giving me good constant pressure.
My Airbrush is a Badger 150. Its a double action so I've been able to try varying amounts of paint spread quite easily. The paint only seems to want to come out with a bit of force though (no matter how much thinners I use). The brush gets regularly cleaned out with Turps, but I always make sure to flush out the turps with a bit of thinners before putting paint through it so turps doesn't get mixed in with the paint.
http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Badger_150.asp
I'm using a few Vallejo Model Color paints with Their airbrush thinners at ratios 1:1 and 1:2 and 1:3 (I tried them all). I'm thinning the paint by putting it in the small plastic container I use to spray it out of then stirring it with a small cotton bud.

^is there anything I've missed? Pulling my hair out at this stage would LOVE any and all advice!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »

Why do you use turps??? You do realise that turps is oil based? Use GP thinners if you don't have IPA and as I said before Vellajo reacts quite badly with ANY solvent. Water or Vallejo thinners is it. Run a fair bit of water through before putting the paint in.

That pattern looks to me as if you've got the brush adjusted right down or you've got the fine needle in it and also why are you stirring the paint with a cotton bud  ??? ??? ??? Crap from the cotton bud can get into the working of the airbrush and clog things up. use a tooth pick if you don't have a proper stirrer.

Do you have a moisture trap on your compressor and if it's as ancient as you say it could have contaminants in the tank or has oil blowing by the rings.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:12:16 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Atchy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »

Cause Turps is cheap and plentiful, this is what was previously recommended to me. its never given me any woes before but Id be happy to try other things, Ive got some GP auto enamel thinner would that do better? You suspect the Turps may be the culprit here?

what do you mean by "Adjusted right down". As I said its a duel action brush and I've tried all manner of positions to the same effect. I just now tested it on a lower PSI and that SEEMS to give SLIGHTLY better results. So perhaps could it be a problem with the paint drying out? I do not use the tip of the cotton bud I cut it in half first and use the plastic part.

Yes it does have a moisture trap but I've never gotten crap out of it in other paints, which leads me to believe thats not the common factor in this. The old girl needs a good oil which I'm currently taking care of.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »

Hi Atchy,

The speckle patten you're spraying out is a fairly common problem when it comes to Vallejo Model Colour paints. The paint has quite a high pigment count and doesn't tend to break down easily even with thinner. I usually give the thinners a bit of time to break down the paint before spraying.

When ever I mix paint I use a jar with a lid and a clean paint brush. Stirring with a paint brush tends to break down the paint faster and more effectively, also you can use the brush to check how well the paint has be thinned by brushing the mixture on a bit of paper. If you see particles on the paper then the mixture is not ready. Once stirring is done I cap up the jar, give it a good shake and let it rest so that the air bubbles escape.

I use lacquer thinners to clean my airbrush which I purchased from Bunnings, it does a great job at breaking down paint and dries without leaving residue. It is also cheap and plentiful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:22:50 PM by KaiK »

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »

Don't mean to interrupt in this discussion, but Atchy, you might want to try the medium or large tip/needle on your 150 if you have the 150-7 set. Whenever I tried spraying something that had larger pigments with my 150, I would always end with the result that you have posted up if it was equipped with the smallest tip/needle.

Also, double check that you don't have anything stuck in the tip. Like gunny said, using a cotton bud to mix your paints can leave some fibres inside your airbrush when spraying the paint. It then clogs into a ball and gets stuck in the tip of the airbrush when you're trying to spray paint. Another thing when mixing your paint, stir it, then lift it up and down, and then repeat that process. I find that mixing the 'paint' in circles sometimes leaves a whole heap of solid gunk at the bottom.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »

I've done some testing and here are the results.

Left to right: 1:2 Mr Color Lacquer thinner, 1:1 Tamiya X20A thinner, 1:1 Water

All tests were done using a Sparmax DH103 with a 0.3mm nozzle @ 15 psi

I no longer have Vallejo thinners because I don't really use their line of paints. The Dark Sand pictured is an old vial that I've had for around 5 years which I was going to use for an M1A1 tank.

All 3 mixtures have great flow but you can clearly see that the water mixture had issues sticking to the surface. Although I sprayed the paint on card you will notice that there is very little speckling with the Tamiya thinner and water mixtures, and pretty much none with the lacquer thinners.

I have a firm belief that your problems stem from how well you mixed the paint because I was extremely thorough with my mixtures and the results show.

I hope this gives a bit of insight to using Vallejo Model Color paints.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF