Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 24, 2020, 02:47:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1/100 Gundam vs Zaku II Diorama for Supanova 2012  (Read 3501 times)

Kshatriya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
1/100 Gundam vs Zaku II Diorama for Supanova 2012
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:09:35 PM »

Hey all.

In preparation for Brisbane Supanova, I've decided to create my first diorama for the Advanced category of the GunPla competition. Earlier this year I won the People's Choice GunPla for my 1/100 RX-0 Unicorn w/ Cage at Gold Coast 'Nova, so I thought why not go one step further.  :)

The image I am recreating is the first fight from the original Gundam series, where the RX-78-2 cuts a Zaku II in half whilst in mid-air, and lands on the ground in this fashion. I'm not sure how detailed I want to make it, but I still need to find some clear rods to suspend the Zaku in the air (Not having much like finding them, so far)  :'(

I also notice that there are some parts that look loose (specifically the leg/right thigh), but they will be fixed soon enough. Also the back half of the piece is rather... flat, I want to create some rolling plains or small hills to uneven it.

Anyway, please leave comments for things that could improve the kit, as this is the first thing I have ever needed to paint/build, constructive criticism is very welcome :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
Re: 1/100 Gundam vs Zaku II Diorama for Supanova 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »

Not getting the picture, try using photobucket or some such hosting service

Kshatriya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry, I don't use forums much :l

How's this?

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »

Idea is good but you need to keep everything confined to within the borders of the base. The beam saber and the zaku overhanging the sides and ends sort of goes against most diorama principles.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:09:45 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Kshatriya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »

I wasn't aware of the border limitations :(

I'm planning on making a small wooden border anyway to help make the sides not look so sloppy, so hopefully the extra lengh and width (It will still be within the 50x50x50 measurement rulings) will allow some more freedom.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »

Have no idea what rules the Bandai comps use but most other competitions require that the diorama be contained within the borders.

Please don't spoiler your pictures as it makes no difference to how the page loads as the forum software loads the pic whether it's looked at or not and it's a PITA having to open the spoiler tag all the time especially when replying  ;D
Real men don't LOL!

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »

I would try to make it a bit smaller, other things to think about, the foot prints you have for the rx78 there isn't anything anywhere else, you need to make it look like it has moved there itself, also you need some impressions to where the zaku is, remember this is a heavy machine so if it's hit the ground it's goint to make a dent in the ground work.

Oh and the rules for the gbwc if you are entering this into supanova for dios can't exceed a 50cm cube so check your sizes too to make sure it fits

Kshatriya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »

The only rules for size and dimensions are that it needs to be 50cmX50cmX50cm or smaller.

Please don't spoiler your pictures as it makes no difference to how the page loads as the forum software loads the pic whether it's looked at or not and it's a PITA having to open the spoiler tag all the time especially when replying  ;D

Ok, will do :)

I just thought it was nicer not having a giant picture cover the screen :P

Kshatriya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »

also you need some impressions to where the zaku is, remember this is a heavy machine so if it's hit the ground it's goint to make a dent in the ground work.

Once I find some clear rods, the Zaku will be held up in the air, but thanks for the idea's! I'll get to work on making some feet impressions for the suits!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »

Just resize the picture to 1200 x 900 or there abouts.

The 50x50x50 means that's the area it can occupy. It doesn't mean the base is that size and you can have everything hang over the sides  ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:56:28 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »

Looking at the picture more, what I think could look better is the hand that is currently holding the saber make that a fist and have that touching the ground and the other hand make that holding the saber but have the blade pointing back.

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »

i like the idea, I'll leave the finer detailing to the more experienced guys but like i said i like the idea and interested to see what u do with the chopped zaku

Kshatriya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »

the hand that is currently holding the saber make that a fist and have that touching the ground and the other hand make that holding the saber but have the blade pointing back.

Slight problem, since I wanted to recreate the scene, I kinda glued the hand/saver together months ago :S

I'll find a way around it somehow :P

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »

if I were you I'd lift that zaku in the air and reduce the space required.
by lifting the zaku in the air you can compress the space needed between two. :)
and about the lifting try to make Gundam in the middle of cutting zaku's waist and you can hide the supporting brass rod and etc. through the beam saber and related effect parts.

I did something similar with my Gundam Vs Gouf diorama and have the Gouf's both arms complete with the heat sword up in the air. It's quite simply trick but does wonder with spectators... :)

http://pds13.egloos.com/pds/200812/10/68/e0037268_493ef9b77447b.jpg

p.s. I'd do this in 1/144 scale as at 1/100 scale any mistake or imperfection will be more obvious...  and if necessary make the background to force the viewing angle to the certain point and hide those bits... heh
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:55:33 PM by dj898 »

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »

Looks pretty good right now and if you wish to keep the models where they are, you could possible install LED's into the Zaku where it's been cut in half since you can hide the wiring and battery compartment directly under the zaku(ie, in the diorama). Other little things you could add are impressions on the grass where the RX-78 landed as well as some dug up earth where the zaku has fallen.
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF