Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
October 18, 2017, 09:09:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: The Grunt MS Group Build Challenge #4: Squad Leaders & Aces UC 0079 to 0096  (Read 71136 times)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile

Welcome to the Grunt MS group Build #4: Squad Leaders & Aces UC 0079 to 0096

START: 8AM CDT Thursday 01 Nov 12
FINISH: 8PM CDT Thursday 31 Jan 13

In this build the intention is to represent the grizzled war weary veteran Squad Leader or the cocky, flashy, over confident Ace (who usually gets their ar5e saved by the aforementioned Squad Leader). To allow for a bit of variety vehicles are also included in the mix. This build is open to grunt MS & vehicles from ALL theaters of war (ground, air, sea & space) and all conflicts from the One Year War in UC0079 to Unicorn in UC0096 and any side story within that time frame.

To set the scene picture the Squad Leader as the wily old fox that has survived the battlefield by knowing just what to do and when to do it while at the same time attempting to keep his snot nosed brats alive for the next mission. He knows what works and what doesn't so his Mobile Suit or vehicle is a little bit different to the norm. Maybe some extra armour, some additional thrusters, some special comms gear or just and array of nut busting weapons. On the other hand the Ace is the flashy show boat who is overawed by his own reflection in the mirror. Cocky, good at what he does and not afraid to let anyone within ear shot know. His MS could be decked out in gaudy colours, stripped bare for that extra edge in speed and mobility or loaded to the gunnels with BFGs. The Squad Leader may well be an Ace as well but that sort of thing is not important to them. For the purposes of this build an Ace is not considered a hero so no hero MS are allowed.

Now down to the boring stuff, the rules  :)

BUILD RULES. Revised 16Oct

1. First and foremost all entries must be based on an original Bandai or B-Club kit. Under no circumstances are pirated/bootleg (or whatever other name you have for them) kits allowed. If in doubt ask.

2. This buildís entry requirements are different so please read the next section carefully.

A.   PRE-ENTRY. (Concluded. All categories are a goer)
Between 8AM CDT 4Oct12 & 7PM CDT 30Oct12 please nominate in this topic what category you will be entering into (see below for categories). This will determine prize allocation. Categories with only one nominated entry or less at closing time will be dropped (no instant prizes). If you are the sole entrant in a dropped category you will be given the opportunity to switch to another category. You can choose to enter the build without prior nomination once it has started but you can only enter into one of the active categories. Once a category has been dropped it will not be brought back.

Please also use this time to ask any questions you might have about your build so when the start comes around you are ready to go.

B.   ENTRY
As with other builds, to be considered an official entry please post a dated picture of your unstarted kit in the Grunt Build #4 topic after 8AM CDT Thursday 01Nov12. In the past this requirement seems to have gotten the better of some people so to make it easier just include the front page of the newspaper from the day you plan to enter in the picture. Please do not forget to do this as you will not be considered for judging if you donít.

You do not need to start a separate topic for your WIP. Please keep all WIP posts in the Grunt Build #4 topic.

C.   COMPLETED ENTRY
Once you have completed your entry you may start a new topic within the Field Training board with your final pictures and any other information you might wish to include about your build. This needs to be done no later than 8PM CDT Thursday 31Jan13. Previous builds have been difficult to judge due to the, shall we say less than adequate pictures that some people have submitted. Whilst the minimum requirement of four profile pictures remains (front, back, left & right) there will also be a size requirement as well. The four profile pictures MUST be as follows; Cropped to include only the subject (I couldnít care less how pretty your back drop looks) and must be 1200 pixels wide by 900 pixels high give or take a few either way to keep the aspect correct.  Blurry dark mobile phone pictures are out as is any photo shopping, titles, signatures or any other item that is not part of the model being photographed. If your pictures do not display your entry clearly you will be asked to correct them and if you donít your entry probably won't fair well against better photographed entries when judged. Feel free to add more close up detail shots of your finished entry and donít be shy in highlighting anything you think is special about your model. The more pictures the merrier.

3. CONDITION OF ENTRY.
Please make sure you understand and accept the following (overseas members especially); unfortunately due to the ridiculous prices Auspost charges for postage, a condition of entry to this build is that if you are skilful enough to pull off a victory you accept that you will pay half the postage costs or make other arrangements to collect your prize. The winners will be notified of the cost and payment details immediately after the results have been announced. Prizes will not be sent until payment has been received.

4. All times and dates are Australian Central Daylight Savings (CDT). The build is open to ALL forum members.

5. Iím sure, as in other builds everything has not been covered so fire away if you have to. Please accept that we are but mere mortals and do not conduct an ďare we there yetĒ attack if you donít agree with the answer.

CATEGORIES.
To keep it simple there will only be 3 categories. OOB Basic, OOB Advanced and Open. ALL entries must be based on a grunt mobile suit or vehicle. No hero suits allowed. Please see list of allowable MS & vehicles.

ALLOWABLE BASE KITS SEE REVISION AT BOTTOM OF POST

B-Club kits and parts are eligible in the Open category only.

Out of The Box Basic. Any scale.
This category is intended for those people who want to stick with the original kitís colour scheme and like to do clean builds. Glue, filler and paint (original colours only) are allowed. Filler is only to be used to cover up seams etc. It is not to be used to reshape the model. If you want to do that you must enter into the Open category. Only components that come in the box can be used except for the allowances below. Multimedia is Ok as long as it came with the kit.

To allow for the customisation required to represent a Squad Leader or Ace you are allowed to make ONE addition to the kit that is not OBB. You can chose from
a) weapons (either ranged or close combat but NOT both),
b) thrusters (main and/or manoeuvring),
c) additional armour (add on armour or a different shield but NOT both),
d) extra communications gear (antennas, radar etc).
The additions can be from any plastic aftermarket source such as Wave, Kotobukiya, Bandai etc or from another Bandai kit from the UC era (except hero MS. See Revisions below). No scratch building.

Out of The Box Advanced. Any scale.
This category is pretty much the same as OOB Basic except for the following; you can recolour the kit and add battle damage and weathering. ALL other restrictions from the Basic category apply.

Open. Any scale.
This category is for those who wish to go the whole hog. Recolours, additional markings, battle damage, weathering, multiple upgrades, resin parts, metal parts and scratch building. You must still use a grunt MS as the base and no parts (plastic, resin or otherwise) from hero kits See Revisions below.

Please note: this applies to all categories.
Finished kits can be presented as stand-alone figures or in a vignette (no full blown dioramas). Stands may be used to display the figure. There are some good Bandai stands around but there are also pretty good stands from other manufacturers as well. As an example of a stand you could use the Zeon or Federation Bandai action base. If you wish to do a small scene (vignette) you could for example use one of the Kotobukiya Chain Bases to depict repairs or re-arming. If you are going to do a vignette just remember they are only intended to be a small scene that complements the centre piece. No Cecil B DeMill productions of Ben Hur. For example if you choose to use a chain base then make it only one panel wide by one panel high.

If you are in doubt about anything please ask. Supporting reference is required if you feel that something should added that is not already mentioned.

MOST IMPORTANT: For any of these categories to get off the ground they must have two or more pre-entries.

Prizes are as follows;

OOB Basic First: Choice of either an RX-121-2A Advanced Hazel or a Shaldoll Custom. Second: Depends on what first place chooses.
OOB Advanced First: Choice of either an RGM-86R GMII or a Gouf Custom. Second: Depends on what first place chooses.
Open First: Choice of either an RX-121-1 Hazel Custom or an ORX-005 Gaplant TR-5. Second: Depends on what first place chooses.

Grand Prize for the overall best kit: MG RX-0 Unicorn Gundam Full Psycho Frame Prototype Mobile Suit with MS Cage and the Gentei Kits prize mentioned below.
All entries in all categories are eligible for this prize. To spread the luv the winner of this is not eligible for any other prizes.

The WFT award: Hazel II & Hobby Japan Primrose.
All entries are eligible for this award (including any place getters). This will be awarded to the person who has the biggest WTF moment during the build.

Other prizes may be forthcoming as the build progresses and will be allocated as the donator see fit.

ADDITIONAL PRIZES:

PRIZES ANNOUNCED courtesy of Gentei Kits!!!!

GGB:Ex4 Winner can choose 1 of these kits:

http://www.genteikits.com/tgf-gft

http://www.genteikits.com/delta-plus-inner-space

http://www.genteikits.com/hg-leos

http://www.genteikits.com/hguc-jesta

SONAR's Mystery Prize  :o
As well as that, there will be a 20% off total order voucher up for grabs!

(The free kit will be a coupon as well and all the winner has to do it apply it during checkout and they will receive the kit and free SAL shipping.)

Starting line up (names in green have posted their entry picture)

OOB Basic: PGOD tristan, alison,

OOB Advanced: Epimethius, Matt723, meneh, xenomorph,

Open: flamingeyebrows, Fury-s12, Hemish, thegunny(not for judging), Wave Hawk, zenma5ter, Shaid, alphabeta, puddingcupII, siwrx, mikiwank, nico, zahmad

REVISIONS

6Oct: Common parts from hero suit kits can be used. For example Char's MS-06S shares many parts with a standard MS-06 such as the Zaku Machinegun, Heat Hawk and most of the basic body work but you cannot use the parts that are specific to the 06S such as the lower leg thrusters and armour or the back pack. If you wish to give your Squad Leader or Ace those sort of things you must modify the standard parts to achieve it. You may use the head mounted antenna as that is an option on just about all Zaku kits and is supposedly one way to distinguish squad leaders from the grunts.

16OCT:
ALLOWABLE MS UPDATE

ANY MS from the UC timeline of 0079 to 0096 that is referred to as:

MASS PRODUCED or
MASS PRODUCTIVE or
SPECIAL OPERATIONS

either on the box or on the first page of the instructions  ARE ALLOWED

ANY MS that is referred to as:

PROTOTYPE or
CUSTOM/CUSTOMIZE or
(insert name USE)

either on the box or on the first page of the instructions  ARE NOT ALLOWED except for the common parts that have already been addressed in a previous update.

NOTE: there are some kits that Bandai have chosen to ignore their normal naming methods such as the Stark Jegan for example. Just ask if in doubt.

COMPLETED ENTRIES
tristan http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3624.0 1st OOB Combined
Matt723 http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3644.0 2nd OOB Combined
Epimethius http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3629.0 3rd OOB Combined
xenomorph http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3659.0 Encouragement Award
Flamingeyebrows http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3685.0 1st Open
Fury-s12 http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3688.0 2nd Open
Shaid http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3669.0 3rd Open
Hemish http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3682.0 Grand Winner
thegunny http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3664.0
Wavehawk http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3671.0
zenma5ter http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3681.0
Alison http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3686.0
puddingcupII http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=3687.0
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:05:29 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

flamingeyebrows

• Captain
  • A few parts short of a full sprue.
    • View Profile

Gunny, I was thinking of entering this MG Ver.Ka Ball into the open category.

(Epi's entry for the last one got me interested.)

It wasn't in the list but I saw that the HG Twin Balls were so i thought I'd ask if it was allowed.

I will pitch you the entry idea if you approve of the kit.

tsubaki

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

i don't see the gm powered type from stardust memorys on the list is it alowed or not?

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile

Gunny, I was thinking of entering this MG Ver.Ka Ball into the open category.

(Epi's entry for the last one got me interested.)

It wasn't in the list but I saw that the HG Twin Balls were so i thought I'd ask if it was allowed.

I will pitch you the entry idea if you approve of the kit.

Me thinks your flamingeyebrows are blocking your vision  ;) Line 22 of the MG page sure looks like RB-79 Ball [Ver.Ka] to me  :)

i don't see the gm powered type from stardust memorys on the list is it alowed or not?

No it's an experimental MS.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:48:43 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Epimethius

• Commodore
  • *Insert joke about Balls here*
    • View Profile

Ok, declaring my entry.

HG Loto (half of twin set since an ace cannot pilot 2 suits, even if he is an ace).  I would like to enter the Advance OOB.  Just wanted one clarification on the rules.

To allow for the customisation required to represent a Squad Leader or Ace you are allowed to make ONE addition to the kit that is not OBB. You can chose from
The additions can be from any plastic aftermarket source such as Wave, Kotobukiya, Bandai etc or from another Bandai kit from the UC era (except hero MS). No scratch building.

This category is pretty much the same as OOB Basic except for the following; you can recolour the kit and add battle damage and weathering. ALL other restrictions from the Basic category apply.

Is the advanced OOB restricted to just one of the choices also?
ďIt may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first." Miyamoto Musashi

flamingeyebrows

• Captain
  • A few parts short of a full sprue.
    • View Profile

Me thinks your flamingeyebrows are blocking your vision  Wink Line 22 of the MG page sure looks like RB-79 Ball [Ver.Ka] to me  Smiley

My excel-fu had failed me. I didn't realise there was more then 1 page. :P Thanks.

To Epi. I hope you weren't wanting to enter a ball too. Sorry if I am stepping on your toe. :D You can enter a ball too though. We can be ball buddies. :P

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile

"and no parts (plastic, resin or otherwise) from hero kits."

so just to confirm we are turning grunts into leaders and aces without using anything from hero kits?

either way put me down for the open category i have no idea what im going to do as of yet but i want it to be more then the advanced oob allows :P

Epimethius

• Commodore
  • *Insert joke about Balls here*
    • View Profile

Me thinks your flamingeyebrows are blocking your vision  Wink Line 22 of the MG page sure looks like RB-79 Ball [Ver.Ka] to me  Smiley

My excel-fu had failed me. I didn't realise there was more then 1 page. :P Thanks.

To Epi. I hope you weren't wanting to enter a ball too. Sorry if I am stepping on your toe. :D You can enter a ball too though. We can be ball buddies. :P

Don't worry Brows.  You are not stepping on my Ball.  I was planning a Loto all along.
ďIt may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first." Miyamoto Musashi

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile

Open any scale - 1/144 acguy

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile

Same as epimethuis exactly. I mean WTF I was just about write this when I say his post.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile

Ok, declaring my entry.

HG Loto (half of twin set since an ace cannot pilot 2 suits, even if he is an ace).  I would like to enter the Advance OOB.  Just wanted one clarification on the rules.

The additions can be from any plastic aftermarket source such as Wave, Kotobukiya, Bandai etc or from another Bandai kit from the UC era (except hero MS). No scratch building.

Is the advanced OOB restricted to just one of the choices also?

Yes
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:04:16 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile

"and no parts (plastic, resin or otherwise) from hero kits."

so just to confirm we are turning grunts into leaders and aces without using anything from hero kits?

either way put me down for the open category i have no idea what im going to do as of yet but i want it to be more then the advanced oob allows :P

Yes
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:04:41 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile

For the pre-entry phase you don't have to declare what you are building if you don't want to or are unsure, just declare what category you want to enter.

You don't have to decide what you are going to build until you actually enter on or after 1Nov.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:05:02 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile

Open (along for the ride, not eligible for prizes)

HGUC RGM-96X Jesta
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:04:54 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile

Open any scale - 1/144 acguy

Finally got him to come out and play  :headbang:
Real men don't LOL!