Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 24, 2020, 02:17:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Painting Muscular Skin Tones  (Read 1468 times)

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
Painting Muscular Skin Tones
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »

Coming up next is a MG Goku. First time doing something like this. The box art shows some pre/post shading arounding the muscles and hair, and I am trying to do seomthing of the sort.

Ive never done pre or post shading before, and I know when I paint over the top, it will just disappear. Whats the easiest way to paint skin tones with minimal supplies?

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Painting Muscular Skin Tones
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »

that is so wierd i was just thinking the exact same thing on the exact same model.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 03:18:59 AM »

The instructions should indicate a mixture colours to use for the skin tones (refer to GSI Creo colour charts). The mixture will consist of one lighter colour and one darker colour. Use the darker colour of the mixture for your flesh preshading.

I would probably go with preshading over post. Post shading can often become time consuming and may require constant colour corrections. Usually if I preshade I won't post shade.

There are two different methods of preshading that I use when painting, "Fill in the box" and "Spray all over".

With "Fill in the box" I would first prime the model and then spray a solid coat of the primary colour (Flesh paint mixture). I would then spray a darker colour (Darker colour of the mixture or a different colour) in areas which I want to be darker, for flesh I would darken areas for the purpose of creating shadows rather than using weathering concepts for Gundams etc. Once the shading is completely dry and cured I would then spray the primary colour starting from unshaded areas and gradually working my way towards the shaded areas. This methods gives me a brighter colour with a distinct shade transition from dark to light. With this method the primary colour controls the shade.

With "Spray all over" I would first prime the model and then proceed to shade the darker areas. Depending on the final colour I may choose to spray a coat of the primary colour down first prior to shading. Once the preshading is dry and cured I would then spray the primary colour over the appropriate areas. Since the primary colour is lighter, as it sprayed over the preshading the colour will be darker than unshaded areas. This method saves time and does produce a good effect however the colour transition will be very limited. The darker colour will control the shade.

I highly recommend practicing shading on a sheet of paper before attempting this technique. Get comfortable with controlling your airbrush and paint mixtures.

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

maybe somewhat similar to what I did with Eva-00 few years back.
Basically I mix the colour on the airbush bowl and after each spray added few more drops to adjust the tone as I went. I think similar approach would work as well - after the basic pass add few drops to darken the tone and do the shallow shaded area and then do it again but with more darken tone and those more dark shaded areas, and etc.

One could pre-arrange the colours/tones but for me mixing as I go woks better, not to mention quicker.
of coz ymmv
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF