Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
June 26, 2017, 11:58:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: PG Strike Freedom GB redux - Atonement  (Read 9412 times)

lupes

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • It's A Gundaaaam!
PG Strike Freedom GB redux - Atonement
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »

This is what I get for slacking at the tail end of something.

No doubt many users remember the big PG SF GotA GB last year that took place up until September. If you don't, the thread is here. Go ahead and read it, I'll wait for you.

Done? Good. I won't lie. At the time, I was just glad to be done with the build and make it in before the deadline. The last leg of the kit had been an exercise in frustration with chroming the wing frames over and over and over due to slight imperfections caused by particles getting in to the paint (my airbrush was in serious need of a complete cleaning that I didn't know how to give it at the time) and horrible marring caused by overspraying and the thinner in the clear color ruining the chrome. Not to mention the blues were off in a few areas on the wings in terms of hue and the middle and lower part of the chest turned out rough and suffered from some seriously atrocious scratching.

All in all, the fire died out at the end. I didn't even paint the white on the kit and simple put the stickers on it and called it good. Even worse was the the chrome on the wing's frame had gotten smudged over time from posing the wings and I was so fed up with messing with it that I just let it be. Fast forward to months later and I'm utterly sick of looking at the wasted potential of the kit.

I'm a better builder than this. Something like this at this scale deserves better from me.

Take everything off, redo the entire frame. The Hi-Nu concept was hit or miss, it got mistaken for ANA colors a lot. No more odd green bit son the shoulder and thighs, let's go with what we know works. Gold for the sliding bits to accentuate the chrome frame. Make sure no area goes untouched. No ugly blank spots this time around, unlike last time where the ankle pistons had been left untouched and were the disgusting stock barf yellow color. But what colors? I wanted to keep a faint nod to the original and not completely abandon what has become somewhat of a trademark color for me.

Purple brings it home and it's not a color you see often. It worked great on V-Dash so let's really show it off this time around. Add a little more gold on some details to make everything pop so it doesn't all blend in to itself like it did before. How did I stand to leave the vulcan tips on the head unpainted last time? That didn't even go with anything. A little coat of clear purple over the cameras and eyes will really give it pop once I add the violet LED to the head.

And here's where we stand now. Painting the white is frustrating as it could possibly be- especially now that summer is here in full swing. But I'll be patient and wait til dusk when I can paint the whites proper, because I'm going to atone for phoning it in on the end of such a big GB.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:40:39 AM by lupes »

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: PG Strike Freedom GB redux - Atonement
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »

i dont think anyone thought there was much wrong with your SF man especially not enough to warrant going back to square one but hey im a perfectionist too so i can undarstand the desire to go back there even for a hellish build like the apocalyse

and tell ya what its look good so far purple, gold and chrome ftw

does the vfin fade from purple to silver or is that just reflection/photo trickery

Infinity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »

W o w!

This looks utterly amazing lupes. The purple looks great and the inner frame looks killer. Looking forward to the end result.

lupes

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • It's A Gundaaaam!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »

i dont think anyone thought there was much wrong with your SF man especially not enough to warrant going back to square one but hey im a perfectionist too so i can undarstand the desire to go back there even for a hellish build like the apocalyse

and tell ya what its look good so far purple, gold and chrome ftw

does the vfin fade from purple to silver or is that just reflection/photo trickery

That's just light reflecting from the chest, haha. But yeah most flaws weren't visible thanks to tricky photography but I knew they were there and that drove me nuts.

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »

oh stupid me just looked at the head on the full body shot that shiny chrome lol thats awesome that its that reflective and lol we all no hat feeling

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:06 PM »

Looking good, Lupes! You're becoming the metallic paint king! I look forward to seeing how this goes.

But this can of worms you're opening... I've been tempted to go back to mine. I really want to do something with the front skirt, it's just so... boring.  Then add some detailing, decals, and fix up the bits I managed to hide in the photoshoot. ;)

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »

Purple and gold are best friends. This is already looking 100% more intricate. I will be very interested to see the end result. Feels like you will be kicking it into pro-verdrive.

CHORM!

lupes

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • It's A Gundaaaam!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »

Looking good, Lupes! You're becoming the metallic paint king! I look forward to seeing how this goes.

But this can of worms you're opening... I've been tempted to go back to mine. I really want to do something with the front skirt, it's just so... boring.  Then add some detailing, decals, and fix up the bits I managed to hide in the photoshoot. ;)

Let's do it! And If I had some dymo tape, you can bet i'd be busting out the scribe for mine. Might just use some of the fantastically done SFs out there as a PoR, but I think there's a lot of canvas space on the SF.

Adrian

• Lieutenant Commander
  • aww yiss giant robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:51:49 PM »

Oh boy. Purple.This is looking so sweeeet already.  ;D

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »

Nice purple. What brand of paint did you use for it?

Falldog

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Otaku Revolution
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 08:29:21 AM »

Alclad purple mayhaps? That's what I was thinking of using on my Unicorn.

lupes

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • It's A Gundaaaam!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »

Actually it's Plamo Colour (I'll never buy from them again) transparent purple over chrome.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:21:03 AM by lupes »

Falldog

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Otaku Revolution
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »

Crap, someone makes a transparent purple?!

It sucks? Crap.

Falldog and the infinite sadness.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:12:28 PM by Falldog »

lupes

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • It's A Gundaaaam!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »

The paint itself is great, but Plamo Color's service sucks horriblely. Just stick with alclad ii hotmetal violet.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:39:37 PM by lupes »

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »

Thats looking awesome, loving the purple and gold combo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

japantoys.com.au banner ad