Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
June 25, 2019, 01:32:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: We made a sword...  (Read 1352 times)

Solo

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
We made a sword...
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:05:20 PM »

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share a project me and some good mates of mine completed recently. A good friend of ours got married recently, so the three groomsman decided to give him a sword as our wedding gift!

Now we weren't just going to get a piece of flat aluminium, or stainless and use that, and one of the guys has a forge, so we did it properly. Started off as an aircraft tail spring cut down to around 350mm long, 35mm wide and around 10mm thick.

This is how it ended up in the end (below). Blade is about 900mm long, 300mm from the hilt to pommel, full forged tang, diamond profile forged in, blade quenched and tempered, hand finished and polished, leather wrapped handle (over timber stock), brass machined pomell and crosshilt.

There's one WIP photo below of it half way through blade finishing.

Anyway, we were pretty pleased at how it turned out for our first go! We can't wait to make another one  ;D

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: We made a sword...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »

thats a pretty awesome wedding gift, especially with the work put into it, having access to a forge must come in hand occasionally  lol

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:30:56 PM »

Good stuff  :)

I was taught blacksmithing during my apprenticeship. Why I'm not sure as there wasn't much call for horseshoes, spears and swords on P3 Orions  ;)
Real men don't LOL!

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »

How many people have a forge handy?! Your friend would be useful to keep around for the imminent zombie apocalypse. Very impressive!
Did you forge his wife a maiden's helper, too? :P

@gunny: Perhaps they were worried you'd run out of munitions and have to board a submarine one day, and need you to quickly whip up some weapons using the idle outboard engine for materials. ;)
The Orion is the one they like to turn off an engine on, right?

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »

@gunny: Perhaps they were worried you'd run out of munitions and have to board a submarine one day, and need you to quickly whip up some weapons using the idle outboard engine for materials. ;)
The Orion is the one they like to turn off an engine on, right?

Only certain pilots are allowed to that (they used to be called maritime captains) and only above a certain altitude. In desperate times they sometimes run on two to get an extra hour or so.

Back OT. He'd want to keep it locked up. Wouldn't want to come home late from a night out with the boys to find the missus standing there waving that about  :D

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:24:59 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »

Very nice!

Also, who the F has their own FORGE?

Who did the engraving?

Solo

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »

Hah! His grandfather was a blacksmith and gave it to him. They're pretty easy to make actually...

A lady here in Toowoomba did the engraving.

I can tell you it was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done - really hard work but very satisfying
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF