Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
October 18, 2017, 09:07:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grunt MS Group Build:EX Challenge #3: The Water's Fine Now. Best Paint Job  (Read 3846 times)

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

Not when mass produced Z'goks are swimming rampant in the ocean waters!  And it's inevitable that the EFF are bound to catch one of this slimy Zeon b*stards in their nets.  One group in particular caught one to help them in their incoming blitz operation.  

"Now what to do with those Zeon colors?" said Lt. Rayer.

So here's my entry for the group build: a MG Z'gok mass production mobile suit.  I'll be painting this in EFF colors which I will announce when I started painting this guy as I'm still looking for the perfect color scheme.  I'll probably be weathering this seeing as this is a perfect opportunity for good practice for my skills since it's been a year since I've tried doing one.  

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:26:03 AM by thegunny »

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia

Well this should be pretty awesome. Keen to see what your colour scheme will be! ;D

potchip

• Commander
    • View Profile

shake hands fellow water use suit participant. Will inspire (I mean steal) a few ideas from each other no doubt.

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

@Sonar

I hope I do justice since it's been a long time I've weathered a kit  :o  I have 2 color schemes to choose from but I'm torn between the two right now  :-\

@potchip

High five man!  I'm a huge fan of amphibious mobile suits (except for the gogg and zock *yech*  :P). 

Hopefully we get alot of ideas to steal, I mean inspire each other with  ;D

Here's a bit of progress for my wip.  I've clean the runners with liquid dishwashing soap to wash away the nasty chemicals from production then let it dry for an hour.

I've recently finished snapbuilding this last night but I still need to see if I've cleaned the nub marks thoroughly.

Surprisingly there's only one seamline that you need to glue together.  I was expecting alot but I'm sure glad there's only one.

This wip will be a race against time since I'm a very slow painter.  In case I'm pressed for time I'll probably just lightly weather this to meet the deadline.

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

ok started weathering this kit.  I've added a bit of cuts and notches on the exterior armor.  Hopefully I'll finish my pre-painting process before the end of the sunday.

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

Here's the continuation of my wip. 

Last weekend I added textures to the exterior armor.  Sadly I haven't been able to finish all of the parts so my time frame will be extended for 3-4 more days.

I primed the finished parts last night and I'll be starting the base color in a few hours.  I've decided on a blue and white color scheme which will suit with what I planned with this guy.

Here's some pics before priming:

and after priming:

NoZaku

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I really dig the textured look, especially considering it's an aquatic unit so it might be more pitted and corroded after seeing a lot of use.

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

@NoZaku

Thanks man!  Yeah that's why I like aquatic mobile suits since they're supposedly more rusty than land type ms.  It gives me a reason to use textures on the parts :D

So here's another update on my wip.  I was suppose to finish texturing all the parts this week but I got sidetracked playing Rage in the pc a few days ago.  I knew I shouldn't have installed it haha! I'm planning to finish texturing the rest of the exterior parts today which I'm hoping to finish by tonight.

I already started pre shading the main colors of my build.  I chose grey instead of blue since the blue paint I have was fugly as hell so I resorted to my backup color scheme. I'll try to add a few decals tonight so I can topcoat some parts by tomorrow.

first base coat of my preshading

second basecoat with highlights

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

Here's the latest update of my wip. 

So after a week I finally finished painting all the parts and finished up all the decals.  I stil have to flat coat the exterior armor in preparation for the weathering.  Sadly It's rainy season right now so I have very few opportunity to topcoat.

Here's the secondary color of my z'gok.  It's light greyish blue color for the upper arms and legs. 

Finished the decals, and yes, this is an Earth Federation Force captured Z'gok  ;D

The inner frame color.  I'm quite satisfied with the finish as this looks like the exoskeleton of a Terminator T-800 in person  :o

2 more weeks before the deadline.  Hopefully that'll be enough to finish this    :-\

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia

That frame colour is just great. Digging the texture as well. Reminds me of Random's work. (come back Random!) ;D

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

Thanks sonar!  

Less than 2 weeks left so I'm really feeling the pressure now. Here's the continuation of my wip:

Added chipped paint technique for the past 2 days.  I made it more prominent below the legs since I'm assuming Z'goks likes to wallow in swampy water or wade along reefs in the ocean to reach the mainland.  

The hand where the blades are have more chipped parts as well since this guy likes to ram their hands on enemy mobile suits.  

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:56:48 PM by Garret Masterson »

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

almost there.  Just a little bit of touchups left

with mini me

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile

Is that the Holstein variety? It's head looks like a cows udder :) Launch nipples  :o

I like how mini me matches. That's one thing I noticed when building my MG Z'Gok that it's so similar in construction to the HGUC version.

Looking good.
Real men don't LOL!

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile

I don't know how I didnt comment on this one before, but that texture and decal work is just awesome, fantastic work
The paint shdaing looks great too, keep it up

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile

Thanks Hemish!  ;D  I just finished it this morning.  It could use a bit more touchups but I won't make the deadline if I do.   Sure wish I had more time  :'(

@gunny

Darn now that you mention it does looks like nipples.  Maybe I should have painted it pink? ;D

That's one thing I noticed when building my MG Z'Gok that it's so similar in construction to the HGUC version.

Yeah I know what you mean.  While building this makes me remember building my HGUC Z'gok as well.  The only difference they have is that the MG has more separated parts so it's much easier to paint if you're doing custom colors.  And since this is an old MG kit innerframe is limited to the arms, legs, chest and head.

Is that the Holstein variety?

Umm... I don't what the Holstein variety looks like  :D  My theme for my Z'gok is that it's captured by EFF White Dingo forces hence the color scheme of white and grey. 
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF