Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
April 24, 2014, 02:24:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Operation Big Red Wallet Destroyer .... The GAF vs Sazabi GAUNTLET. Celebrate the Var Ka with GAF, HERE

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
hlj.com

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tamiya polishing compound question...  (Read 4041 times)

Jimmy The Guz

• Commander
  • Play some SLAYER!!!
    • View Profile
Tamiya polishing compound question...
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:35:00 AM »

Iím just wondering on GAF membersí opinions on Tamiya polishing compounds.  I have been pretty confused about the correct use for polishing compounds and have been unsuccessful in finding any decent info about these products in regards to gunpla.

Is there any need to use Tamiya polishing compounds on painted or non-painted Gunpla?  Iíve read on the web that you can use these products to scrub away nub marks and swirls on bare plastic, and to polish paint before a top gloss coat and/or flat coat.

But is there any other use for a polish if you paint your model and then top coat it with gloss before applying decals.  Then gloss coat again, panel line with a wash or marker and then finally a flat coat? 

The Tamiya compounds come as Coarse, Fine and Finish.

Cheers
JTG

Fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tamiya polishing compound question...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:17:06 AM »

This is far from the definitive answer but in the past year I've been looking and learning I've never seen polish compound mentioned in any tutorials or anything, so that says a little lol, im sure if your going for a super glossy Gundam it be helpful though

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »

So here goes, with those compounds you are generally looking to create a mirror finish, you know those kits that are stupidly glossy? Well tha\is is the stuff they are using with a combination of gloss coats and wet sanding, its a long process and can bore the crap out of you if you aren't a patient person

Basically its gloss coat, wet sand, coarse compound, wet sand, fine, wet sand, finish.
You do that for each part you want stupidly shiney

I played with them when i first got them but havent applied it to any kits yet

Gundam Beginner

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Beginner blog
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »

hmm, I've heard these polishing compounds can remove nubs and plastic stress. which is useful for Straight builds.

Gundam Beginner : A rookie beginner on the way to improve.

Solo

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »

You'd have to polish for a loooong time to remove nubs and stress marks from a piece using polish. You've got to cut a fair bit of material away, so you'd be better of using hemish's method of wet and dry, etc.

Jimmy The Guz

• Commander
  • Play some SLAYER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »

Thanks for the feed back team.  Yeah its sounding like more of a mission to use polishing compounds than its worth.  I'll try hemish's method of wet and dry sanding between each compound and see how it turns out. 

Cheers GAF Members  :)

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:41 PM »

Here's a tip. This thing called Polishing compound is also known as toothpaste. Its just a paste that contains fine abrasives(so like sandpaper in a way). Toothpaste also is like this.  There are other prodcuts like Brasso/Silvo, and car wax, but toothpaste is something you will surely have.

For example, with a scratched watch face(acrylic ones) I just sand til the deep scratches are removed using 600 and 1200, then if I want 2000. Then I get a thin cloth and some toothpaste(cheapo brand or baby toothpaste) to polish the face. It works extremly well if you want a glassy finish. I dont see the use to polish any Gunpla like this, unless you accidently scratched a clear piece.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:33:30 PM by QuangVuong »

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Jimmy The Guz

• Commander
  • Play some SLAYER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »

Cheers for your tip QuangVuong.

I have also found out this info for anyone that is interested.

Tamiya Polishing Compound - Course (Red)
Recommended for use after sanding with 1000 grit or higher finishing abrasive, this coarse compound features outstanding polishing capabilities.  Perfect for preparing surfaces for painting or smoothing down bumps or uneven surfaces.

Tamiya Polishing Compound - Fine (Blue)

This all purpose compound is great for further smoothing surfaces after using Tamiya Polishing Compound (Coarse), smoothing down undercoats, or polishing surfaces after painting.

Tamiya Polishing Compound - Finish (Silver)

Produced using special production techniques, this high grade polishing compound provides a perfectly smooth, glossy finish. Great for plane canopies or polishing cars after painting.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:32:14 AM »

Hi JTG,

My concept for compounds is that they are used to restore or improve the smoothness of a surface and can be used to create high gloss finishes.

The way I apply polishing compounds is simple, just polish with a micro-mesh cloth. I only ever use sand paper as the applicator when I'm removing seam lines from an aircraft canopy.

I recently built an Age FX without painting the entire kit and just top coating it, this was achieved partly through the use of compounds at different stages in construction.

Every time I needed to sand a surface it would cause discolouration, this issue can be correct by using finer sand paper incrementally but can often leave stains on lighter coloured surfaces. Knowing this I used Tamiya fine compound after I sanded the surface to restore it without leaving a mark.

One darker coloured parts there were noticeable swirls on the surface. I used Tamiya course compound followed by fine compound to remove them. This process does not take long to do.

For the clear parts I used the finishing compound to increase their shine.   

Tamiya make some excellent compounds which won't damage most surfaces and paintwork. I have noticed that the finishing compound will strip paint sometimes if too much is used.

Regular toothpaste is a good substitute for finishing compound but it will not achieve a greater shine than finishing compound.

I don't recommend using metal polishing products on Gunpla, they can cause more problems than achieving your goal.

For really high gloss finishes try using Turtle Wax for cars, it's done wonders in the past for super glossy paint work.

Hope this helps.

Suzaku

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 03:05:13 AM »

Also, polishing compounds can be useful if you need to fix some scratches in clear parts.

khai62

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:49:56 AM »

Speaking of fix scratch in clear parts, this should be the idea on how using it that i found long time ago:
http://www.kenzbuilds.com/intermediate.php?p=restore_sanded_clear_parts#  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:50:07 AM by khai62 »

Jimmy The Guz

• Commander
  • Play some SLAYER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »

Thank you KaiK.  You always have great informative and detailed advice for novices like me.  :)

Also thanks Suzak and Khai62.  The question of polishing compounds is something I've been trying to figure out for ages. 
Pages: [1]

hlj.com

genteikits.com

CurtRatcliffe.com

Advertise With Gundam Australia
sazabigauntlet.com GBEX BANNER