Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 24, 2020, 03:12:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: 2012 Gunpla Builders World Cup Discussion Thread  (Read 29014 times)

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2012 Gunpla Builders World Cup Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

hey guys i was wondering, what do YOU plan to buy with your winnings?

Wolfman X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »

well with my 100 dollar voucher i got myself a MG marasai and whatever was left was given to mokana_man
Aka: Wolfman, Wolfie, WMX, Wolfenhiem.

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »

well with my 100 dollar voucher i got myself a MG marasai and whatever was left was given to mokana_man
you are so sweet. ;)

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »

I'll be getting a MG Marasai as well plus a few other MG or HGUC kits (at least a Dra-C or two) I think. No rush at the moment, just going to wait a bit and choose wisely.

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »

1/144 HGUC Stark Jegan
$38.50
1/144 HGUC Base Jabber (Unicorn Ver.)
$21.50
1/144 HGUC Sinanju
$49.95
1/144 HGUC Delta Plus
$40.95
1/144 HGUC Geara Zulu
$35.50

thats my order so far
for a diorama.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:47:17 PM by thepuddingcup11 »

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »

Although it was school holiday our kids swimming squad still trains do we spent morning for training and then our little one's training which finishes around 3pm.
Thought of dropping by myself to pick up but ran out of time and to drop my family at home and came to the venue I'd be lucky before 6-6:30pm which was too late.
Like I said wish I knew I could pick up after the show was closed.
Or at least the ticket booth guy told me the option.
In any case I'm not into the competition tbh and besides my wife told me I'm too old for that anyway :x
And maybe she's right. I couldn't get those cosplay but I'm sure it's as exciting to them as gunpla is to us, modellers... ^^
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:08:57 PM by dj898 »

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »

A quick write up I did on the event : http://www.ghostofzeon.com/other/gbwc2012.html

meneh

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »

Really enjoyed the event this year lots of great talent and inspiration. Always great to catch up with other members wish we had more events in Sydney, my apologies to Alan I couldnt find you when we were goin for lunch. Congrats to everyone that entered, pleased to see a large part of the entrants were GAF members! As an amateur who somehow pulled a place last year I'm goin to have to step up for next year as I really enjoy been part of this event. My only grievance was that the only GAF shirt I saw was on my back :P

Great photos GoZ!

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »

Thanks meneh, it was great to see you again too.

mokana_man

• Rear Admiral
  • Mecha Workshop Melbourne
    • View Profile
    • Mokana man @ youtube
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »

my apologies to Alan I couldnt find you when we were goin for lunch.

Yeah I'm sorry we didn't catch up must have wondered too far from the both.
Success belongs to those who are too stupid to give up!
http://www.youtube.com/user/mokanaman

zahmad

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »

I had my GAF shirt on, but it was under my jacket....
However, never spotted anyone other than GOZ or mokanaman from a far distance however...

Wolfman X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »

i couldnt find my gaf shirt when i was packing for sydney.
Aka: Wolfman, Wolfie, WMX, Wolfenhiem.

markofthedead

• Newber
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »

Hi, My name is Mark Carlisle, I am the winner of the 2011 and 12 GBWC. 

I only found this fourm while serching for pics of the weekend, and how disapointed i was reading some of the peoples comments. 
To be discredited as a modler who is only interested in competitions and not the hobby?
I have been a hobbyists since i was 5 years old, who built kits and played with them for hours on end and still continue to build kits and love it at 35/6 yold. 15 years ago i started to enter my models into competitions and never won a thing, but with help from fellow modeler's i started to get into the minor awards, more practice, buying referance materal and doing workshops I started to to get into the awards.
I moved to Australia 10 years ago and found the level here to be much higher in standard and inline with the international level.
I started painting Games workshop models because they had the best painters doing amazing work. I took my first store lession and entered a comp a month later where i won. I met a couple of modeler's and started painting with them weekly and was introduced to the top level painters in Aus painting GW. We flew to Syd from Melb just to paint a weekend with them and learn how they were achieving there results. Since then I continued to paint, almost everyday for hours on end and entered more comps where we would all catch up and show what we had been working on and new skills we learned.
2 years ago one of my best friends who introduced me to Anime bought me a 1/144 Gundam model for a Bday present, which ended up ruined but and i was hooked, i went out and bought my first kit the 1/100 Acguy, took it home and then went what do i do to it? enter DC23. I copied what he had done and painted it with an airbrush, which was the first time i had used one.
I then went back to the shop and showed the store guy and he suggested to enter GBWC, i bought the Rick Dom and researched online what the top guys had done. I converted it like the Acguy and painted it , built a base and flew to Syd. I thought i had a chance but expected a minor prize, but it placed 1st. The trip to HK opened my eyes as to what was being done at an International level. I decided then that i wanted to come back and challenge for a place next year.
As soon as i was back i dedcated 4-6 hours everyday 7 days a week for the next 6 months to realize my entry. I payed hundreds in Airbrush training DVDs, monthly painting training downloads, 2 top of the line Airbrushes, burnt out 2 compressors, and spent over $500 on the entry itself. The paint job consisted of primer, enamel, acrylic, hairspray, salt, oil paint, weathering paints and pigment powders. It was painted with thought to light placement, lowlights and highlights, rust and the damage was done with thought on how it would get there. The conversion was even more complicated with a full rebuild and joining the body parts together,scratch boulding 10 legs and making the complex base.

Can you say that you entered this year with the same level of dedication?

I have only entered 2 models in to the GBWC yet won twice.

The open Compertition is just that, OPEN. Its open to any model, any style and any competitor. Name another comp that restrict past winners from entering? IPMS? Golden Demon? Imagine telling Usain Bolt he cant enter because he's won before? I have been apart of a lot of comps in modeling and sport, I have won and lost, but never have i put down a person who has given there very best and achieved what they set out for.

Did i paint to win the GBWC Competition? Yes, thats why its called a Competition!
If you noticed though, i also brought up the Candy painted Acguy, The white ZakuII and the Candy Painted Gadessa.

Mark Carlisle

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »

Hi Mark. Congratulations on your wins, both outstanding builds. Clearly you are a very skilled and dedicated modeler, I apologize if some posts made by our members have indicated otherwise. I think people tend to fear the unknown a bit and to not have heard from the Australian GBWC winner at all until now has probably contributed to a bit of tall poppy syndrome.

Other GBWC events in other countries are facilitated so that the same person does not win the same category 2 years running, or in some instances after winning it 3 times they are "retired". I believe this is for the sake of diversity and fairness to all competitors. Our event is still in it's infancy and typically it takes the organizers time and experience to eliminate issues in the regulations and running of the event. It isn't a personal statement about you, moreover a comment on an issue with the regulations. I just don't think it is fair that one person can take out the same category twice in a row. Having said that, you have done exceptionally well to do so and that speaks volumes of your skill.

Make no mistake, we value every member of our community very highly. You clearly have a lot of passion for the hobby and we are honoured to have the 2 x Aus GBWC champ participating in our humble forum.

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »

faaar out that is quite some dedication to a single model!!!, i think sonar got it right no one was specifically crapping on you or your work just the general state of allowing one guy whose skill is exceptional to win year after year which is a devicive topic to say the least some hate the fact one guy keeps winning and some think if one guys dedication is that high they deserve it either way dont take it personally mate if GoZ was the one winning every year we'd be saying the same thing :P.

also please please post up a bunch of awesome pics of this kshatriya centipede for those too far away to see it in person :D:D
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF