Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 24, 2020, 03:05:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: 2012 Gunpla Builders World Cup Discussion Thread  (Read 29013 times)

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2012 Gunpla Builders World Cup Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »

Wait, how'd you know that I made that Unicorn??

maybe i am  psychic or maybe

Me? I brought the MG Unicorn with the water diorama, an MG 00 Raiser and a HG FWS Nu. Also brought my brother's kits which were the MG Strike Noir, HG Raphael and the SD Strike freedom.

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:32 PM »

It has always been my firm belief that if you build just to win, then you are in the hobby for the wrong reasons.

I build because I love to make creative things with my hands - comps are just something I do on top of building models and is more a social thing. If I win, then great, if not I learn from what is on display and improve my skills.

I have put forward a suggestion to the powers that be that the rules should be changed to that if you place in a specific secondary category, you are not able to enter the following year but then you are allowed to enter the year after that. This would allow for a more diverse range of kits in the secondary categories and allow for a more impressive display.

Definitely agree with what you said there. To further add to that, I would like to see an imposed rule that you can't win the open category more than 3 times like they did to dc23 over in the Philippines a few years back.

@puddingcup, me has bads memories. :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:18:15 PM by Ethan »

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »

they should do the award ceremony half way through the cosplay seeing as how the place cleared out.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »

3 times in a row sounds interesting, would you impose the same with secondary categories?

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »

Yup, I guess I would since it's in between 'You can still compete' but 'you can't over compete'.

zahmad

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »

they should do the award ceremony half way through the cosplay seeing as how the place cleared out.

That was so stupid....there were only a handful of people there who were all probably the competitors and their friends...

I think the should have it nice and early...
I mean I wasted a whole day last year walking around etc just for the ceremony part as nothing else interested me in SMASH

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »

That was so stupid....there were only a handful of people there who were all probably the competitors and their friends...

I think the should have it nice and early...
I mean I wasted a whole day last year walking around etc just for the ceremony part as nothing else interested me in SMASH
Same deal with me, was only interested in the GBWC part as I'm not exactly an anime geek nor a cosplayer.

mokana_man

• Rear Admiral
  • Mecha Workshop Melbourne
    • View Profile
    • Mokana man @ youtube
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2012, 12:45:09 AM »

Mokanaman was there but he wont have photos up yet as I don't think he gets home until later tonight. Stay tuned, he'll get his video up as soon as he can.

Hello, first time to see a computer since Thursday. I was impressed with the entry's this year the growth in the event is slow but I've noticed some new blood and others trying to push them selves which is great. Having a close look at what placed 1st 2nd and 3rd in open I believe was the appropriate derision in technical judging terms, also 3rd was the fella who won in 2010. What the judges look for besides a technical flawless build and finish is also a contemporary and creative product + matching dio/ story/ base. With how small our community is knocking out last years winner would be a bad idea, remember 1st place does rep us on the world stage but my hopes were behind GoZ. While also having fun and not taking the competition seriously I think we need to rethink a different approach to a mix up of the high end of this category and community while trying to refine basic finishing and paint skills. For anyone interested competing in a friendly manner (including myself). Too much restrictions can lead to others not wanting to improve them selves if you remove the best and I think this is unhealthy for a community and agree after a year former open winners can enter lower category's.

I call this event a success and was a lot of fun, I am also extremely proud of Wolfmans achievement and enjoyed string s*** with my wacky build  ;D. It was great to meet some of you but regret not talking with some of you longer and missing out with others. Some really fun and interesting builds on display well done guys...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:48:28 AM by mokana_man »
Success belongs to those who are too stupid to give up!
http://www.youtube.com/user/mokanaman

Wolfman X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2012, 01:20:22 AM »

mmm i entered my kit with no hope in winning as my mind was mainly into taking photos of the wonderful cosplay. nothing was expected since there were a few entries which couldve topped mine like the banshee which also looked great. the night when i was a bit tipsy with alan i get that call from them saying i won 2nd place and i was like oh bulls*** in my mind but with the biggest smile in my face with alan walking next to me.

but yes i agree, if youre entering just for the fact to win its the wrong way to enter. i had a fun day even though i had a massively sprained ankle. i wouldnt let such a thing deter my day, but im surprised that there are those who would let something so trivial sour their day. i think i got snobbed of by a few who were hoping to get a placing in any of the categories but simply shrugged it off. ill most definitely going to come to smash next year
Aka: Wolfman, Wolfie, WMX, Wolfenhiem.

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »

well for me the issue is bloody expensive ticket!
I mean I went there close to 4:40pm and still have to pay $110 for entire family to get in so they could see daddy's kits before I collected them. I couldn't get in by myself as that wouldn't be fair for the kids. But once inside I thought whole show was bit too much for 4 yo and 8yo, especially to our little one who was scared by all those people dressed up strangely...
They should allow the entrance who does not wish to attend SMASH to come by after the show is closed - say 5:30pm - and collect their kits.
Now I'm banned from entering by missus. As far as she concerned I blew the nice family dinner out for 15min walk around... @__@
by the way no I couldn't be there early because ouir kids still have the school swiiming team training in the morning as well as tuition in the afternoon. :(
(And while grabbing something to bite near by with family in tow someone walking by knocked the tray from the pram breaking bits and pieces from kits...)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:59:26 AM by dj898 »

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »

You could have waited until 5pm when the show closed and got in the rear exit for free to collect your kit (the Harbourside end of the center). Some entrants just did that when they came to collect.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:58:22 AM by TheGhostofZeon »

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »

You could have waited until 5pm when the show closed and got in the rear exit for free to collect your kit (the Harbourside end of the center). Some entrants just did that when they came to collect.

Wish I knew. The letter from Hobby Co "kindly" stressed that to collect the kits one had to buy the ticket.
Even the ticker sellers when I explained said I still needed to buy the tickets. :(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:01:34 AM by dj898 »

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »

Wish I knew. The letter from Hobby Co "kindly" stressed that to collect the kits one had to buy the ticket.
Even the ticker sellers when I explained said I still needed to buy the tickets. :(
why did you take your family then? couldn't have you just piked it up yourself.
they should change the rules so you only have to buy a ticket if you placed.

zahmad

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

That seems rather very unfair dj898, what did you enter btw?
It does seem rather inappropriate to have to pay to enter at that late stage when everything is almost finished, but maybe Hobbyco should arrange alternatives for people who would like to just enter to pickup kits etc/ waive the ticket for all entrants?

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »

nice pics goz, some great things on display right there, this is shaping up to be the event to attend/enter next year
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF