Current WIP: Aoshima 1:12 Blowsperior
After considerable drama in tryign to get the 1:!2 Mospeada from the Philippines, I finally managed to bget a 1:12 scale Blowsperior from Hong Kong for a good price. Still hoping to get the Mopeada since I've got a specific project in mind for it, but thankful that the Blowpserior allows me to try building one of these kits.
Left to right: MMS (15cm), SH Figuarts Faiz (14.5cm) and HG Gundam AGE-1 Normal (12.5cm) for reference. In the back is a 1:12 Honda bike from New Ray. The paint job is sloppy--I'll fix it when I progress further with the build.
The bike I built OOB since I was unfamiliar with the mechanics. It's pretty fiddly and unstable. It seems to work better in armor mode than bike mode, but since I'm not done with the figure and can't test-fit this on my existing figures so no pics of the armor suit mode yet.
I also messed up some of the joints. The Blowsperior uses a mix of Styrene plastic parts and metal parts, and I super-glued the metal parts for strength. Guess what part I assembled upside-down and now can't fix?
It can still transform, just not as smoothly as I'd hoped. There are two flimsy support struts that allow you to swing the wheels from bike mode into suit mode. thankfully there's a way to lock the wheels in place in suit mode so I'm not worried about that--but in bike mode they're a bit of a worry.
I need to make major modifications to the pilot/rider figure. The rider has poor posability and can't actually ride the bike without looking silly (plank-surfing the bike)
. Thus I need to mod it so that it becomes a relatively decent posable figure.
I used Figuarts Faiz for this pic because the MMS was too thin and kept falling over. The fit is pretty good all points considered, and I'm using Faiz as a reference for the dimensions of my revised Blowsperior rider.
You'll notice all the pics show a support strut--the way the bike is designed it can't stand on it's own and without that support strut it would just fall in on itself. The front of the bike has some decent suppor tin the form of metal bars--you can see them clearly in all the photos.
The back of the bike is an issue. The main support for the rear wheel, other than the swing arm, are the two segments that eventually become the side armor. And they're not attached to anything secure in bike mode.
Will post more pics and descriptions as I go along. The bike was the easiest part of this project, the real toughie is throwing out the old rider figure design and buildign anew one...