Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
December 14, 2017, 12:45:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad

Poll

What is your status with this kit?

Want
- 3 (60%)
Back Log
- 0 (0%)
Built
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mega Size Model 1/48 Gundam AGE-1 Normal  (Read 4461 times)

Vector Prime

Mega Size Model 1/48 Gundam AGE-1 Normal
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »

Originally Released: December 2011
Release Number: BAN971063
Size/Weight: 59.2 x 32.2 x 11.7 cm / 1570g
Rough Cost: ¥6,800 (From HLJ)
Origin: Gundam AGE

Vector Prime

Re: Mega Size Model 1/48 Gundam AGE-1 Normal
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »

I received my AGE-1 this morning when Auspost dropped off my HLJ shipment and I immediately wanted to open it up and build in then and there (to give my 1/48 Zaku a counterpart) but sadly I had to rush off to work.

Got home and decided to tuck into it whilst watching TV and I managed to knock it all over in about 3 hours including a rushed photoshoot of the completed build.

As expected, Mega Size AGE-1 Normal is a very straight forward, non-fiddly, non-complex build - for some reason AGE-1 seemed a lot easier to assemble and put together than my first 1/48 kit (Zaku).

I'd suspect that it was due to a better understanding of the instruction booklet (it's a somewhat slightly 'different' to follow instruction layout than standard fare) and also now experiencing the 'sandwiched' runner setup for the second time I wasn't wasting time studying the instructions so closely.

What's the latter? Well it's pretty much two whole runners where you insert polycaps into one of them and then simply snap the other complete runners onto it and then simply cut off the parts from the frame to give you a completed part (like a leg or an arm) - all designed to simplify and speed up the assembly process.

Whilst the first time around, I thought it was a fantastic idea, I actually prefer the traditional method of assembly as it allows more accuracy on the trimming of the nubs.

On the subject of nub removal, the 1/48 series is meant to boast thinner runner joints so that you can simply snap the part off without needing a pair of cutters - they go so far as to include a special 'tool' in the kit to aid the process.

I found that on the AGE-1 kit, the quality of the plastic is pretty cheap and it ends up leaving white nub marks either way - so be careful!

The included LED/lighting setup gimmick is quite clever in it's design with clear internal light piping that is meant to channel the light from the single LED unit to illuminate the chest and the face - great in theory, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

Due to the size of the kit, the light emitted from the single LED has to travel quite a long path to illuminate the head, so while the chest lights up well, the head? Not so well. It only really works well in poor lighting - what they should have done was designed a second LED unit for the head.

Articulation on the completed product is okay but nothing to write home about - no worse than a standard HG kit, so he can be put in some fairly action orientated display poses.

Speaking of display, this is where this guy really shines... because of the sheer size of the scale and the bright bold 'traditional' Gundam colour scheme, AGE-1 certainly has fantastic shelf presence and looks very good (sans decals and paint) displayed.

Now onto the judges....

Build:                3.5/5
Quality:             2.5/5
Gimmick:            3.5/5
Articulation:       3.5/5
Display Value:     4.5/5

Overall:             3.5/5

I'd recommend you get one if you can pick one up cheaply or if you simply want a big display piece, but otherwise save your money and wait for the MG release or pick up the regular HG one.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:31:56 PM by Vector Prime »

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »

Mega size models are super fun and rewarding because you end up with such an impressive display piece that is quite well detailed. I will build my Age when it arrives and it will be my 5th mega size. They certainly get easier with experience but no less fun.

When I built my mega size Chars Zaku I chopped all the bits off the runners and tossed em into the box to be denubbed, sanded, and assembled. That was fun.

shadow298

• Rear Admiral
  • UNLEASH THE GUAN
    • View Profile
    • And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth blog
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:28:49 AM »

Well it's pretty much two whole runners where you insert polycaps into one of them and then simply snap the other complete runners onto it and then simply cut off the parts from the frame to give you a completed part (like a leg or an arm) - all designed to simplify and speed up the assembly process.

Whilst the first time around, I thought it was a fantastic idea, I actually prefer the traditional method of assembly as it allows more accuracy on the trimming of the nubs.

That's actually something that started with the old old SD gundam kits that I built over 20 years ago but generally ignored but did mean it sped a lot of the build up.

I've never been sure out the 1/48 kits because of reports on the quality but something about the AGE-1 looks realy decent.
If it goes on special in the near future, may put some cash towards it.
"Ego futurus. ut est totus"

-I Exist. That Is All

for geek related goodness, check out these: @andthegeekshall
http://andthegeekshallinherit.tumblr.com/
http://andthegeekshall.wordpress.com/

Vector Prime

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:48:51 AM »

That's actually something that started with the old old SD gundam kits that I built over 20 years ago but generally ignored but did mean it sped a lot of the build up.

That I wasn't aware of since I've only been building Gunpla for the past 3 mths  :P

I've never been sure out the 1/48 kits because of reports on the quality but something about the AGE-1 looks realy decent.
If it goes on special in the near future, may put some cash towards it.

Yeah if you can pick it up for $100 or under, I'd say go for it, but otherwise I don't think the 1/48 are worth paying full RRP (+expensive shipping due to massive box size) for.

The AGE-1 does look very spectacular sitting on display simply due to the sheer size of it and the 'traditional' Gundam colours.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:58 AM »

The only one I payed through the nose for was the ANA ver. The rest I bought at RRP off the shelf in Japan, or received as a thank you from Zombster for running their workshop at Supanova (thanks!). I Typically pay around $60-$70 for them. The last one I assembled while in Japan and brought back  wrapped in a t-shirt.

Much like the RG line, I'm in love with this new line and think they are fantastic. Super huge, quick, easy, and rewarding to build, loads of detail on the panels, and something I can share with the kids. I'm actually the least fond of the AGE, not a fan of the angular legs or goofy rifle, but I enjoy the MSM line and I can't wait to build it.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »

I now have all of the standard version kits plus one :gentei: ver. If I can track down the other 4 special versions I'll have a complete sett but I don't fancy the idea of paying $300+ for any of them :(

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »

Just to sidetrack this thread a little, Ive also got the ANA version sitting in the pile to build......only way I could justify it was to give it to my wife for her birthday as a 'couples build'!

It isa beautiful kit...as is the AGE-1

/thread hijack!
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »

Nice score ;)

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »

Modding question for these 1/48s--do you think they're the right size to mod into 1:12 scale Knightmare frames?

I mean, mecha large enough to put a 1:12 figure (like a Figma, Figuart or standard US 6-inch action figure) into? I know such kits exist---a Votoms Scopedog exists in 1:12 scale, but I'm not sure fi the scale woudl be akin to the Mega size kits, or if it's too much work to bother for this kit...
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »

You probably could do it though Im not sure of how much space you would require to insert a figure (into the chest???) The Zaku I built and gutted would have enough space in the chest to do it if you are prepared to glue everything into place so you could hollow it right out. This would depend also on how you want to do the figure-seated or standing! This is of course assuming the Gundam is somewhat similar inside to the Zaku (I cant remember as I built the Gundam last year)

If you have a look at Dalong to see if he has an instruction guide for the chest, it could give you an idea but I reckon you could do it so long as you can 'get over the scale in your head' as, at the end of the day it will always be a 1/48!!
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 09:42:23 AM »

If you are talking about mounting the body in the torso then you have to take into account the shoulder mounts as the protrude into the torso. The Zaku has it's shoulders at right angles to the body so there is a fair amount of space between the joints (see step 40) but the Age appears to have a narrower torso and the shoulders are at an angle and they appear to be only about the width of the neck insert apart (see step 41). From the surgery I did on the Zaku to fit the cockpit you could do it to the Zaku but just looking at the Age pictures I'd say not with the Age. Both of them will present problems with the lower torso/hip attachments as they will need to be almost completely removed to get anything inside the upper torso. As I was only using one half of the Zaku torso for the cockpit it wasn't a problem but if you remove both sides you will loose all mobility from the waist.

The RX-78 has a similar inner torso arrangement to the Zaku so you could probably get away with it on one of them if you are after a Gundam shape.
Real men don't LOL!

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »

Definitely not going to be in the torso, or at least not a lot of it would be---Knightmare frames (the mechs in Code Geass) usually have a large cockpit 'backpack'. Trouble with that is it'll be plenty back-heavy. The Zaku seems promising in terms of bulk and balance, though.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »

Never watched Code Goose :) My mega Char falls over at the drop of a hat  :-\ If you want to pose it with the chopper up over the head ready to strike you have give a really wide squatting forward stance otherwise it goes A over T pretty easily.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:50:49 AM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »

O-kay...I guess that means stocking up on metal shot and other weights for the feet. :(
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF