Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
June 25, 2019, 01:45:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hot Sauce  (Read 3957 times)

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Hot Sauce
« on: September 30, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »

Chilli and Hot sauce

I like it. A lot.

Hot.

HOT.

I like pushing my limits with certain things, and chilli is one of them. So this topic is to document some of the products and varieties I like.

You build a tolerance to chilli that can be quickly reset by a week or two without having any.

There seems to be a bit of a drought on fresh chillies at the moment which Iíve read may be due to the QLD floods earlier this year? I canít get my normal red birds eye/Serrano/asian chillies that I love. Habaneros are pretty much impossible to find, and they are my favourite variety.

Due in part to the difficulty of sourcing fresh chillies, and partly because I love hot sauce as well, Iíve been exploring hot sauces a bit lately.

Previously the hottest chilli was thought to be the Naga Jolokia, an evil looking Indian variety. This has apparently been eclipsed by an Australian grower with a home grown strain of the Trinidad Scorpion called the Butch-T. He has produced a sauce from it called Scorpion Strike and it is apparently the hottest non-extract sauce money can buy.

Extract refers extracted chemical compound that gives chilli itís burn, and capsicum spray for that matter, called capsaicin. People have devised a way to extract the raw burn from chillies and put it back into hot sauce to make turbo charged hot sauce.

The two occasions where Iíve had something so hot I thought I would be able to see through time were extract occasions. One with random, the other at the Wellington Point Worldís Hottest Burger joint.

So Iíve recently tried the Scorpion Strike sauce made from the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T variety by the Chilli factory (an Aussie company). It was decently to very hot (not see through time hot). Also tried the Taipan Strike made from yellow 7 pot chilli by the same guy which was slightly less hot and curry flavoured. The Scorpion Strike is oddly flavoured I think due to the variety of chilli and found it difficult to match to food. Went well with ribs.

Today I have acquired some extract sauce and have been a bit disappointed. Am I setting my sights too high? I donít think so. The time I had a drop of sauce with Random I thought I might be in real trouble for a minute. Iím chasing that burn. I will find it.

I find the Scoville scale a bit hit and miss, so I rate my chilli by paper towels ;) i.e. how many it takes to mop up my sweat/snot after eating. Iím the first to admit that the paper towel scale has its flaws, such as ambient temperature, hair length, and amount consumed, but Iím sticking with it. ;D

I will preface my paper towel rating system by saying I have a fairly high tolerance. I literally use the small red birds eye chillies raw as a condiment and it is a frequent occurrance that I will chop half a dozen of them into thirds and dress my meal with them raw. I had 4 in my eggs for breakfast, and that's only because I only had 4 left. ;D Not trying to boast, just establishing my tolerance. (I will boast later ;D)

The best resource Iíve found for hot sauces is hotsauce.com but itís a USA site and the shipping is a bit OTT.

So here is some local linkage for your chilli needs:

http://www.chilliwillies.com.au/sauces.html

http://thechillifactory.com/shop

http://chilliandspice.com.au/index.php?p=home

and a bonus:

Tabasco by the gallon! (one can dream..)

N.B. You'll have to be logged in to see the images in this thread.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Aussie Back Burn
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »

Australian made habanero sauce with poppy seeds and a teriffic flavour. I've had a few of this guy's sauces and they are almost always 10/10 for flavour. Keen to try his new naga jolokia and extract sauces! I've been a long time fan but unfortunately am finding them available in fewer and fewer places.

1/3 paper towel

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Blair's Mega Death with Liquid Rage!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »

Extract sauce made in the USA. Salty and not much in terms of flavour. Pretty hot but more of a creeper than an instant burn. Enjoyable experience but way less than I was expecting for my first try of a Blair's sauce.

1/2 paper towel

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Boss Worcestershire Sauce
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »

Not a hot sauce by any means but going in here becuase it it mad slept on. New Zealand made to a 75 year old company recipe and for my money THE best worcestershire sauce invented by mankind. My kiwi mate put me onto this and told me to rip off the top and throw it away and over a course of months it will thicken up. Gooey liquid gold. BOSS.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Dave's Hurtin Habanero Honey Mustard
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:33:06 PM »

Just got this today. Been wanting to try Dave's sauces and this was the right price. Not too hot, more of a sweet mustard with a bit of zip. This will go awesome on my sandwiches at work.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Hoyts Dried Chillies
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »

Pretty much an emergency thing for me. A desert spoonful intoo whatever I'm cooking if there is nothing else available, or in combination with something else. I was once craving a heat fix, and unable to find anything very hot I bought these, and mixed a heaped desert spoon with half a bottle of tabasco and half a bottle of nando's extra hot peri peri sauce. I actually got a reasonable kick out of it. Didn't taste the greatest..

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Hot Ranga
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »

Another Aussie, this one is a curry flavoured sauce with Habanero for the heat. Curry flavoured sauces are not as universally applicable as vinegar based sauces and therefore do not curry my favour. Guffaw.

This is nice and worth a try if you like curry flavoured hot sauce.

1/3 paper towel

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Ichimi Togarashi
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »

Japanese chilli powder. Available in asian grocers it goes really well with most Japanese food.

Doesn't rate on the heat scale. A bit zippy if I use HEAPS. Great flavour though.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Nando's Extra Hot Peri Peri Sauce
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »

Extra hot? Extra insulting.

Has that lemony zing that makes peri peri interesting. Would probably make an ok marinade? I'm sure I've asked Nando's to cook my ribs extra hot and they've been hotter than this sauce.

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Sauce
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:01:22 PM »

Interesting thread, im not a hot sauce craving guy but I do like me a heat hit occasionally especially on perfectly cooked chips pure win, best and hottest sauce I've ever had was a new zealand brew my grandma brought over one time, was crazy hot but had a great taste, not sure of the maker or name anymore though will find oot next time I talk to the olds for ya though sonar, see if it matches up to what you have or if im just a girl lol

The daves one you've posted sounds up my alley, will check the local for it :)

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Scorpion Strike
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »

I think I judged this one a bit prematurely. I was expecting to see through time when I tried this sauce, and was greeted with merely an astonsihing burn. For a non extract sauce it is very hot. Salty in flavour and supposedly worcestershire based (I couldn't taste worcestershire) it isn't the most instantly delicious sauce but it works very well with some foods (Ribs in particular). I think this is attributable to the variety of chilli it is made from. I would very much like to try a raw Butch T.

I got a severe burn from this by combining it with 4-6 beers, a hefty dose of the sauce and half a dozen rustically chopped raw bird's eyes in my spag bol. I got a night, and half the folllowing day of intestinal woe out of that. The first night I tried it I had a bit of spicy belly as well.

I kinda feel bad for telling the chilli factory that Scorpion Strike didn't meet my expectations now. It is a very good product. They pretty much told me to go buy an extract sauce if it wasn't hot enough. Points lost for that remark, and points lost for charging me $15 to ship 2 bottles from Newcastle to the Gold Coast, when I got 3 bottles today from WA for $12, but otherwise a good experience and I will go back for more.

Definitely the hottest domestic sauce I have tried to date. It must have been good because I finished it in a week.

1 paper towel.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Tabasco Habanero
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »

I've loved Tabasco sauce for as long as I can remember. It used to be the hottest thing I knew existed next to a raw bird's eye once upon a time. These days I find it pretty tame and more of a flavour sensation for the vinegar and smoky oak barrel aged flavours.

Some years back I discovered Habanero chillies, and soon after found Tabasco Habanero sauce and have not been able to find it since. I initailly got it in the small bottle but this one in the picture is the larger size. I remember it being hotter but I guess my tolerance is higher now.

The Habanero is probably my favourite variety of Chilli for flavour, and as mentioned I love the flavour of Tabasco. So this is a winning combination for me.

1/3 paper towel. But only because I will drown whatever I'm eating in tabasco. Love it on wings.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Taipan Venom
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »

This is another product from the guys at the Chilli Factory (Scorpion Strike) made from the yellow 7 pot chilli. I admit not having heard of this chilli until I bought the sauce, and its a feisty little guy. I previously didn't put much stock in chillies that aren't red, but the orange habanero and this yellow guy have got some sting in 'em.

The sauce is a slight green curry flavour with a very velvety texture. Less burn than the Scorpion Strike but makes up for it in flavour. Surprisingly went well with a number of foods I thought it would clash with. Good amount of sting without the intestinal repurcussions.

1/2 paper towel.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Hoyts Pickled Chillies
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »

Old time favourite snack. Great as a side to just about anything, with a steak, on a sandwich, in a taco. Love these guys.

unrated

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Re: Hot Sauce
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »

Interesting thread, im not a hot sauce craving guy but I do like me a heat hit occasionally especially on perfectly cooked chips pure win, best and hottest sauce I've ever had was a new zealand brew my grandma brought over one time, was crazy hot but had a great taste, not sure of the maker or name anymore though will find oot next time I talk to the olds for ya though sonar, see if it matches up to what you have or if im just a girl lol

The daves one you've posted sounds up my alley, will check the local for it :)

I find it surprisingly hard to come by any decent hot sauce in stores these days. Good luck.

If anyone has any suggestions or contributions by all means feel welcome to share!
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF