Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
May 24, 2017, 02:40:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad

Poll

New Theme:

Dislike
Good, but needs tweaking

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Welcome to GAF 2.0! (Beta)  (Read 11201 times)

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
Welcome to GAF 2.0! (Beta)
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »

With infinite thanks to Fury-S12 for the awesome custom theme, I am proud to present to you the Gundam Australia Forum 2.0! (ver. Beta)

First of all let me say that nobody likes change, and if you dislike the new look at first please give it a chance to grow on you for a few days. If you still don't like it you can switch back to the regular default theme by going to your profile>look and layout preferences>current theme (change) SMF Default Theme (Core)

Secondly, Fury and I have done extensive testing of the new theme but there is no better test than a live run across a hundred different machines and browsers. This theme will remain the default theme for Gundam Australia from now on, and will be considered the Beta testing version for the next couple of weeks while we hunt for issues. All of you guys will be our official testers for the initial period ;)  

Please let us know if you find any bugs in this topic and we will jump right(ish) on it. ;D

This is very exciting for us here at GAF. A custom forum theme has been on our want list since re-launching as GAF 1.5 just over a year ago, and even before that as GAF 1.0 at evilcow for those of you who remember it. To see it come to fruition after 4 years in the pipeline is a very special occasion for us.

We have more and more exciting things in store for the second half of 2011, and moving into 2012, so stay tuned!

Among them will be the revival of the data from GAF 1.0, in the form of an archived forum (Yay!), the first big comp sponsored by HLJ (soon!), the launch of the Gundam Australia website proper (later), plenty of awesome group builds, (some including prizes for the winners!), plus all of the usual friendly and helpful atmosphere that we are renowned for.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank YOU! All of you guys and gals, our members, are what make this place what it is. Without you we would not exist so a big Big BIG Thank You sincerely for your contribution to the forum and your willingness to help and be friendly with all newcomers. I honestly believe that this is what sets us apart as a forum and makes this a truly special place to be. You guys humble me. Keep being awesome.

Extra special thanks to the GAF team. Cam you have gone so far beyond the call of duty with creating this theme and I am more grateful for that than words can express. ZETA NEWTYPE thank you for all your hard work with the blog, social networking, and the Grunt GB. I'm very excited about where we can take this in the next 12 months. Hoardz and Hemish a big thanks to you guys for your unquestioning committment to QMHE and the hours and resources you guys have volunteered for the cause, and also for being a couple of good mates. Alphabeta, Xenomorph, and roggstudelpest for your help also with QMHE. Random a very special thank you to you for offering us your elite level design work and for being a very good friend. Zahmad, GhostofZeon, and thegunny for your silent vigil watching over the forums. I am pretty particluar about my requests and a bit of a perfectionist so a very special thank you to all of you guys for putting up with me!

This topic is now open to the forum. Please let us know your praises and criticisms on the new look, your feedback helps make this place better!

;D

:haro:

shadow298

• Rear Admiral
  • UNLEASH THE GUAN
    • View Profile
    • And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth blog
Re: Welcome to GAF 2.0! (Beta)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »

NOW THIS IS MY KIND OF COLOUR!

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
"Ego futurus. ut est totus"

-I Exist. That Is All

for geek related goodness, check out these: @andthegeekshall
http://andthegeekshallinherit.tumblr.com/
http://andthegeekshall.wordpress.com/

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:40:45 AM »

Yeah I actually like this look a whole lot more

potchip

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »

Erm...it hurts my eyes, and to be honest dark/high contrast colours is very '95 (just look at those angelfire sites in the history pile, less the adds). Red is high contrast 'look at me' and having red as boundary, especially on a dark background (red/black low contrast) ...

I immediately went into my profile to look for alternative templates but there appears none? An option to switch back is minimum requirement.

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »

I kinda have to agree with potchip. It's a little hard to look at. (I can feel my eyes blurring when looking at the text below Hemish's name.)

The top and bottom is great! Don't change them! It's the middle, the actual posts, that need some fine-tuning. Maybe some contrast of colors. So, instead of a red border, try some kind of blue. Instead of black and dark grey, use dark grey and a slightly lighter grey. Just throwing out ideas.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:01:56 PM by Kjasi »

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »

Thanks for your support guys.

Potchip it's not gonne be for everyone and I understand that, just give it a chance. Instructions for switching back to the SMF default theme were included in the OP. ;)

Good feedback kjasi, thanks. We will take all feedback into consideration in trying to develop something that we can all deal with. I think the red borders could probably stand to be grey.

As I said, I fully expect a lot of us to dislike it at first. Give it chance. Trial it for a couple of days before making your decision.

zahmad

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »

Great work guys! Potchip, you can use the "As" theme if you like something simple as I've been using it since the beginning...

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »

dark themes are very love em or hate em, ive tried to make it as readable as possible but obviously its not gonna be for all, we can/will monitor how many people are using the new theme so obviously if everyone is changing back to the default one we will know and will endeavor to fix things :)

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:42 PM »

Did a quick Photoshop alteration to demonstrate my changes. Turned out to mostly be saturation changes, but I find the attached photo much easier to look at than the active forums. I also included the HEX colors for my changes.

Freya

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • It's a Mecha!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »

its so nice, my fav color as well....red and black

potchip

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »

Oops, didn't see the 'change' as a link! All is good now :P

ZETA NEWTYPE

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • GAF Returner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »

After looking around at it, I've decided its a bit hard on the old eyes, I did like the look of the new colours though I had to change it back to the old version :(

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »

UV lights & flock posters  O0 Groovy Man.

Edit: might want to revisit the smileys as the darker ones don't stand out too well any more.

The blue names in the who's online are a definate no go for my eyes.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:09:43 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

DAZZ(^.^)

• Cadet Corps
  • Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Insert Peronal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »

For a second i thought my computer broke.....
And then i realized that you were pimping the site up......
AWESOME JOB!

But the only bad thing is, black tends to bring out things that arent transparent,
say a text (itll have a tex box around it unless it has transparency on it,)
But that doesnt seem to be happening anywhere, so rock on!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:49:16 PM by DAZZ(^.^) »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF