Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
January 17, 2019, 04:14:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: HobbyLink Japan and Social Networking plugin issues  (Read 2023 times)

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
HobbyLink Japan and Social Networking plugin issues
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »

Hey gang,

Anyone else using Chrome and finding that the product listing pages on HLJ are awfully slow to use after they appear to have loaded?
I was! Then I found out why: the facebook Like button on each product. It causes HLJ to make an API call to the Facebook website for each product on the page.

How to fix it: Block the plugin, somehow. How'd I do it? The Chrome addon Disconnect.
This extension prevents the Like button from loading.

"Okay, Shaid, I did this ish, and it's still slow?" Well, that's the Google Plus plugin doing that. Just block it aswell. I find it's not too bad to keep running, Facebook is the big killer.

Also, Firefox doesn't appear to have this problem. Additional disclaimer: No one else might have this issue in Chrome either, it might just be me. Though it was happening on my Mac (eww) at work and my PC at home. /shrug

@GaijinGunpla: Don't know if you're able to, but would you be able to pass something onto your webteam at HLJ about how they're using the Facebook plugin? Maybe ask them to investigate if there's a better way to do it. It can cause issues with the browser due to the sheer number of connections it asks the browser to make to Facebook. Possibly use json or ajax to do it as a delayed asynchronous action instead of a direct load. Or let me know who to contact about it, and I can write them a more detailed image. Also, it only affects Chrome, really.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:43:57 PM by Shaid »

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: HobbyLink Japan and Social Networking plugin issues
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:04:36 PM »

Are you sure its making a separate request for each like button?, im using the facebook api for a project at uni and it makes one or two connections and gets all it needs

Also im using chrome and both mac/pc with no issues, you using any other extension at  work that might affect it??

Either way some helpful facebook removal info

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »

Anyone else having issues with the G+ button on GAF?

Thanks for the tip Shaid. I will forward this on to HLJ and move the thread to the forum feedback/glitches area.

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:02:51 PM »

Are you sure its making a separate request for each like button?, im using the facebook api for a project at uni and it makes one or two connections and gets all it needs
Yeah, it's making separate requests for each one. Atleast for me. Also, it's possible an extension is causing it. It's also more likely my clam chowdering wireless card is the main issue. ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:26:38 PM by Shaid »

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »

Anyone else having issues with the G+ button on GAF?

Thanks for the tip Shaid. I will forward this on to HLJ and move the thread to the forum feedback/glitches area.
Im not, and due to the theme stuff and the nature of my uni project im inadvertently testing it on many browsers and platforms lol

@shaid: ah i assumed coz you said it happened at work and at home that it wasnt an internet connection based issue if its the same net at both though id definitely be looking at that

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »

Was on HLJ last night and yes, it was painfully slow (using Chrome on a mac- YAY!!! :P ).
So slow I didnt buy anything from their current sale........ !!!!

Figured it was the FB/G+ connectivity which appears to be relatively new on HLJ but wasnt sure how to fix it so thanks for the heads up!!!
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF