Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
December 13, 2018, 11:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Australian Gunpla Builders World Cup 2011 Wrap Up thread  (Read 21472 times)

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
Australian Gunpla Builders World Cup 2011 Wrap Up thread
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »

On the 16th of July 2011, Australia held it's second annual Gunpla competition. The Gunpla Builders World Cup (the competition formally known as BAKAC, BAKUC and BMKWC has changed it's name again if you hadn't noticed on the day) was again included as a part of SMASH anime festival at the Sydney Convention Center.

Instead of having 20 million topics, this topic will be for ALL wrap up coverage and comments.

To kick things off, here is the link to all 207 photos that were usable on my camera :

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/other/gbwc11/index.html

It was great to see everyone again and meet up with some new and old friends from the GAF!

Now for the video :

Post away folks! Show us your pictures and tell us your thoughts on the day!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:36:16 AM by thegunny »

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
Re: Official Australian Gunpla Builders World Cup 2011 Wrap Up thread
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »

Some nice looking kits in there, again I would like to know how the judging was done and what criteria was used, the winner, while it looked cool I personally didnt think was the best one there, he did have a kick ass base though.
Anyone get more images of that fighter from Macross Frontier?

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »

Was a fun morning and the models were amazing (the gunpla was pretty good as well!)

To have a little whinge, I personally would advise the organisers (not Hobbyco) to work out a better way of displaying the models (to keep them more stable). The amount of times I saw a model wobble (edit:you can see the wobble in GOZ's video) precariously because some idiot had bumped the other side was worrying. Keep in mind that I personally didn't like this years overall setup (with regards to the displays and stalls) as it felt more 'crowded' even though it's a much bigger venue-heaps of space around the outside but everything seemed squashed into the middle....didn't help that most people seemed to be inconsiderate with regards to the way they moved around. I would have been heartbroken and pissed off if some gumpy otaku wannabe teenager had knocked over my GBWC model entry (if I had one). Their pre-sale entry needs more work as well!
/end whinge

But a great event and it was good to put faces to the names!!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:30:36 PM by tristan »
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »

I thought that the display was better laid out this year but the wobbling was a little concerning. At one point I was nearby when the entire booth was bumped and about 4 or 5 of the High Grades fell over. Luckily there was no damage and people nearby were kind enough to pick them up and place them back in their spots.

I was glad that there wasn't enough entries to fill 3 shelves on both sides as having two shelves on each side made the viewing experience much easier. The middle shelf was high enough for mid-sized people to see without having to tippy toe to see. During set up the afternoon before, the top shelf was OK for blokes like me who are 6'3" but a few of the shorter fellows were having problems seeing! :D

I thought the pre-paid line worked well but then again, I was like 10 people from the very front of the line and staff came through with a laptop and barcode scanner at 8:45ish and scanned tickets and gave everyone their lanyard passes. When the doors opened, there was no line ups, everyone just walked in without issue.

I'm glad to have met heaps of new faces as well (glad to have met you Tristan, even if it was for just a 5 second handshake and a G'Day!!) but I missed on seeing Hemish. You need to come down one of these years!!

Forgot to mention the support from the crowd as well during presentations - had my own little fan club a few rows back on the side! Hanging out to see what footage Alan got of the awards and if he got you guys yelling out to me (Sonar and Random mainly).

SMASH itself was very disappointing this year. I thought there was less vendors and more information booths - Zombster had the best stall for sure. I grabbed a Kshatriya and a Dressein from them for only $100 for the both (the Kshatriya is the price of a mid ranged Master Grade and matched in size as well). Not much else to buy though - even Madman were a little light on stuff that I like and don't have. Didn't get a chance to go to the workshop again but no biggie there and there were no real guests that I was interested in either. Ended up spending 2/3rds of the day hanging out by the GBWC display or wandering around looking for everyone.

What killed me was trying to walk back to my hotel carrying my models under one arm with my prizes under the other. 13 kits are hard to carry!! Luckily, they were wrapped and tied so I could carry two bundles in one hand and the rest I squeezed under my models in the carry box and in my back pack.

Looking forward to next year now. The long drive home this morning gave me plenty of time to think about projects and I've figured out a couple already that I might get done for next years comp.

Yami

• Commander
  • The Last Raven
    • View Profile
    • Realm of Darkness
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »

For me joining the competition really worth it while i didn't win, i get precious experience from the competition and inspire my to try harder next time. It is also nice to meet fellow GAF member despite it is a brief moment and i didn't talk that much. I will definitely join the competition next year ;).

As for the Smash itself, i find this time the event lack of organization since i had to wait almost for an hour to enter despite holding the advanced ticket and i bet it is even worse for the ones who buy the ticket on the spot. I also find some of the good events happen to early and too tightly packed. The guest meet is great as well and i hope more awesome Guests are coming next year.

tristan

• Rear Admiral
  • Backlog Smacklog...... he he he, Im a rear admiral
    • View Profile
    • Cheese and Spam
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »

... i had to wait almost for an hour to enter despite holding the advanced ticket and i bet it is even worse for the ones who buy the ticket on the spot.
I was lined up with Sonar, Random, Mokana_Man and Patrick (sorry, didnt catch his nick) and we were in the pre-sale line for (what felt like but was probably close to) an hour (this was about 10 am). Silly thing was, the line to buy a ticket at the door was empty and we joked about asking for a refund via email but asking to have a credit waiting for us at the pay to enter door!!

I also want to publicly thank Sonar for keeping my spot in the line when I had to take my daughter to the toilet...there is no way I could have lined up again!!

Also great to meet you as well GoZ....yes, it was a quick hello!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:23:08 PM by tristan »
www.tristanforsyth.com (site online 10am-10pm) Gundam and other J Culture stuff combined with my mundane take on life, infrequently updated!
“The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it”
"All Gunplas are good, they are meant to feed our childhood dream of robot fantasy we didn't surrender to reality after growing up." (NK)

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »

Great idea to have an official thread.

Great event. I think it was well organized and the guys at Hobbyco put a lot of money and effort into making a very professional booth.

Yeah the massive pre sale line was kind of a disappointment but hopefully it means they will be better prepared to implement a more efficient system next year.

Yeah Matt and myself were pretty vocal at the award ceremony, thanks to the half dozen pints we downed while waiting for our appointment at the maid cafe.. Probably a bit too vocal. It was a little disappointing that there was not really a lot of support from the crowd and the emcees seemed to not have been given very adequate info concerning the prizes.

The highlights of the day for me were meeting all of you guys and Rhyan as well. He was a nice dude and super excited to tell us all about the giant BB diorama he had worked tirelessly on with Noless (and sorry I forget who the third guy was), and seemed really interested in networking with Gundam Australia and helping out with QMHE. I only wish I'd been able to spend more time with those of you I only got to see briefly, but I managed some good chats with Freya and Mokana Man over beers. Randoms mates were super nice guys as well.

I thought first place was a brilliant build. It had loads of wow factor and demonstrated some incredible application of technique in the paint job. Far out it must have had 50 coats of clear coat on it.

The standout build for me was the Hillside Hangar GP01 Dio by GoZ. It was brilliantly photographed for us here on the forum, but on the day in person it was quite simply incredible to look at. I reckon I spent a good 10 minutes staring at it taking in all of the technique and details. So much depth. So precise. Most of all everything was perfectly in scale. You could not fault it. GoZ's second place getting SD Baund Doc was incredibly detailed as well.

Mokana's Galbaldy looked even better in person, and the PedoBeargguy was sooooo seedy. He actually snapped a great picture of a Pedo Bear cosplayer looking very sus at a young maid cosplayer. Mokana's main entry was a bit of a cage rattler. I like how he goes in with the intention of ruffling feathers. Looking forward to pics on the forum.

Freya and Noless had some great entries, and there are many more that I want to comment on, but it has been a long and tiring day for me so I will save my pics and comments for later on. Tristan you are a mega nice dude and I'm glad I got to hang with you for the morning. Your little girl is absolutely gorgeous and just so clever too. She was so patient. What a gem.

I will sign off by letting you guys know that I captured an enemy flag! Hahaha! Mokana Man politely let me wear his zeon flag as a Bandana all day (one of them anyway, apparently he has 3!) and I missed him at the end of the day due to the event hall being closed when we returned from snaring our free Blue Frames. I'm pretty sure there were numerous pics taken of me wearing it, and at the pub we were using it as a table cloth and one of the glassies recognized it! Awesome. Mokana has kindly offered to let me borrow it until after QMHE as well. Top bloke. Funny too.

:haro:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:01:03 PM by Sonar »

zahmad

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:23:21 PM »

I personally had a disappointment of my own as some of you may know, but it gave me a chance to learn new things and ofcourse a learn a bit more about GOZ :D

I was a bit disappointed by the display setup of this year as I believe they should really model it like what they do at other international BMKWC events. You should be able to see the techniques and attention to detail up close, but have no ability to touch or bump into the VERY delicate models. Last years event was much much more interesting and this year was way too disorganized. I was lucky(?) enough to show up at a time where there were nothing of a line whatsoever and had a look around straightaway, but I missed meeting tristan as a resul....

It was nice meeting some new faces, and some old....
I love the GAF T-shirt!
I knew there was something strange with the crowd roar coming from the other side of the auditorium :P

All in all, an interesting event, not much to do infact - but the challenge is getting harder and hopefully maybe one day I can challenge the likes of GOZ and Freya!

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:38:43 PM »

Yeah we were a bit rowdy. I hope we didn't embarrass ourselves or any of you guys.. :\ :| :/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:39:15 PM by Sonar »

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »

Nah, I thought it was funny as. Even the MCs were having a dig at me because they had to keep saying my name over and over again. Funny stuff.

loongz

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »

Hi guys, not sure if I could remember but I did had a chat with a few guys although I sort of missed to get their name. (Sorry! :) ) I know I met Scott. LoL.

I personally felt very disappointed with the judging, don't get me wrong as I know the competition this year is tough and there are plenty of borderline cases, but there's some room for doubt in the judging criteria (am sure Scott must've known as I've been whinging alot that time, hehe) . Plus., The display board is also a little dodgy, just like GoZ said, a few kits fell because of some dude from the otherside must've bump the support beam. Scary stuff on that but putting a kit against a wall makes me wonder on how do you judge a kit's full detail from front to back? Did a 360 review happen or just 270?

Overall, I feel very motivated to get stronger as I was blown away by alot of the entries especially the winner for the Open Category. Just left me with my jaw dropped. I also like to congratulate again to all the winners. Well done!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:55:11 PM by loongz »
When Chuck Norris plays Monopoly, it affects the actual world economy.

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »

Wow you guys with presale tickets had to wait an hour or so? I grabbed a shirt off Adam(nice meeting you and Random) at 9:45am and headed to line up in the que for door tickets. I got in at about 10:10am which was a very short wait specially for door tickets.  Well overall waiting time for me wasn't too bad.

As for Smash, the first hour was interesting. Going around to all the stalls, inspecting the Gundams, checking out the cosplayers(lol all chicks were Miku Hatsunes). After that hour, there wasn't much to do. I was surprised how little there was to see. Went to the Hobbyco room for the free kit but somehow it was booked out til 3pm at 11am. So didn't end up with a free Gundam :( .

Adam, that Pedobear cosplayer was infact my mate(Kevin Tran) and the maid was Vivian Tran both in year 10 at Sefton High. Kool Pedobearguy model though.   

And back to the Bandai stall. I agree at times the kits were wobbling around and some did fall. One Exia had a display box around it, smart thinking. But I guess there weren't that many entries this year. Might have a chance myself next year if I decide to enter.

Overall Smash 2011 was a great event! Next up, Animania.

Was great to meet some of you guys here and the great kits entered into BMKWC.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

LordCastigator

• Lieutenant Commander
  • A Mad Scientist who tends to lurk in the shadow...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:24:26 AM »

Hmmm, interesting, I think I recognize for WA WaiCon Gundam Comp entries there...

Got the WaiCon entry pics I took, so lets compare...

The GNX at 0:33, that 1 of ours. I think the 00 Gundam at 0:57 & 1:08 might be ours, we did have 1 win something over here, but I didn't get a good enough pic to confirm. That MS (can't remember name right now) at 1;59 is also another WA entry. Same with the diorama at 2;30, that was next to my RG 78 Gundam. My piddly little RG 78. Happens each year so far, my entry next to something bigger. Mind you, my White Base conversion was all by itself, still didn't get anywhere...

Don't recognize any of the rest as WA entries, but from memory they only sent the winning/special mention models over there, so unless they sent it themselves, it would be a no-show...

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being stuck up or anything, but I'm proud to see WA entries in the official Australian comp. All the entries are amazingly built & decorated, Congrats to all that won. When I went to Sydney Supanova & showed a couple of the Zombster guys my DropBearGuy pics on my mobile, they suggested I enter this. Didn't get to though, I' was back home in WA when this comp went on. Oh well...

From what I've seen, they don't pick them up to prevent damaging them, though just thinking if they put them in a glass case, then you can safely see them from both sides. Only problem is making sure they have enough light so noone needs their flash, cause if you take a pic of a glass cabinet with flash wrong, all you get is glare...

LOVE the EVA Destiny Gundam recolour! The PedoBear (Sorry, Safety Bear, saw that thread) looks cool. Might want to keep him away from the junior entries though. Also looks like 1 Gundam doesn't have enough Beam Sabers, it's only got 10. Someone give it more sabers. The Strawhat Pirate's ship wasn't a Gundam last time I checked, but it's still Bandai so I guess that's why it's there...

Again, well done & congratulations to the winners, as well as all those who entered...

Whoops, posted by accident. Finishing then reposting...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:39:02 AM by LordCastigator »
In the battle of the bravest souls, over evil shall the good prevail, If the universe is crashing down, heed the chaos and then drown it out, Showing flashes of bravado, in a torrent of destruction, keep your head above the mayhem; clarity will be your weapon as the blinded falter and die.

A link to my DeviantArt Gundam folder...
http://lordcastigator.deviantart.com/gallery/27063410

Noless

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »

I guess as I will step in and provide some response from the hobbyco side

First of all, Thanks to everyone who entered, we cant run a competition without entries (we always want more entries ;D) it was really great to put some more faces to names.

we were really happy with how the event ran, of course there are always some problems, but I still feel that it improved from last year, and we are always learning from our mistakes (I mean this years display was a bit wobbly, but I still think it was an improvement on the tables we had last year...)

the size and stability of the display shelves has definitely been taken on board and next year we will be trying to make it much better, but of course you must remember the limitations of what we had to work with, we wanted a larger stall then we got, but it wasnt available and costs were getting rather high

I hope people appreciated the SD diorama we made, its been my life for the last 3 months so my own entries got a bit neglected (like my bearguy for example... he's still just all primered)

and finally congratulations to all the winners!

also Hemish, that was my VF25 but i wont be able to take more pics until next weekend cause im not in sydney atm :( tbh i kinda entered it cause i thought it was funny that it was so much smaller then the gundams at 1/100 scale :P

EDIT:
Forgot to mention before that this is jusy MY opinion, and not expressly the position of hobbyco (but just consider it a little bit of insight into the side of running the show)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:39:54 PM by Noless »

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »

awesome photos GOZ haven't had a chance to view the vid yet but the photos were good enough

some awesome kits on display, i like the clean freedom, goz's dio was a standout, which one is his SD?, speaking of SD's i love em and there were some kool ones in there, ones i dont even know the names off so im just gonna say some kool ones :P the BB dio looks pretty cool too and i know from another forum they put some hard last minute work in to get that done
If i could name all the kits i think look awesome i would but i cant so to all those who made them well done and nice work.

also lol at the itasha macross kit kool idea and im a fan of itasha

@sonar or mokana: which was his "feather ruffling" kit?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF