Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
January 28, 2020, 12:00:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gundam F91 The Motion Picture - your opinions?  (Read 3656 times)

Sandrock

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Uppercut-Justice.com posts by Riku
Gundam F91 The Motion Picture - your opinions?
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:48:44 AM »

Hey Everyone,

I've read some of the Gundam Crossbone Mangas, so I thought I would watch Gundam F91, since it has Seabook as the main character.  He was very likable in the Crossbone Manga.

The Animation looks a bit dated, but it still looks good in my opinion.  The action scenes were Ok; definitely not as face paced as I am used to. The story was good but the F91 movie felt very rushed.  I didn't feel like I really got to know the characters as much as I wanted to.  Is this a condensed TV series?

Your thoughts?
Uppercut Justice for All!
http://www.uppercut-justice.com

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
Re: Gundam F91 The Motion Picture - your opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »

I like F91. I like the mech designs - they are sleeker and naturally more advanced than previous Universal Century series. I really like the Denon Zon too, I like it that much that I want to build the model but lo and behold it is extremely hard to find.

Apparently it was meant to be a 50 ep series but it was changed into a movie for some reason, that is why it seems rushed in some parts.

shadow298

• Rear Admiral
  • UNLEASH THE GUAN
    • View Profile
    • And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth blog
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »

Apparently it was meant to be a 50 ep series but it was changed into a movie for some reason, that is why it seems rushed in some parts.

Pretty much because Gundam was no longer as popular as it was, a bit of a passe joke, so they turned a series into the movie to see how it would go.
Wasn't exceptionally popular unfortunately and why they went when manga and such for follow ups for the more demanding fans.
"Ego futurus. ut est totus"

-I Exist. That Is All

for geek related goodness, check out these: @andthegeekshall
http://andthegeekshallinherit.tumblr.com/
http://andthegeekshall.wordpress.com/

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »

•Off topic• But why is gundam a passe joke In japan ive heard it called the star trek of japan which I don't get either lol

ZETA NEWTYPE

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • GAF Returner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »

F-91 blantly put is an enjoyable mess. The movie is like GoZ said, a series rolled up into one movie, but I liked the designs and the story....it clearly took inspiration from Star Wars, with the story elements and the Crossbone Vanguard mobile suits....they are just like mobile Darth Vaders and Stormtroopers lol

shadow298

• Rear Admiral
  • UNLEASH THE GUAN
    • View Profile
    • And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth blog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 02:53:50 PM »

•Off topic• But why is gundam a passe joke In japan ive heard it called the star trek of japan which I don't get either lol

Like Star Trek: rapid fans who defend it to the death and buy everything related that they can but not always accepted in the mainstream and not garnering the same viewers and attention as it once did.

In the early 90's trends were rapidly changing from over dramatic things to the more adventurous fun of the Shonen genre (Dragon Ball Z and the like) and franchises that had been around for a long time (GUNDAM, Kamen Rider and all the shows that became power rangers in the west) were thought too cheesy and passe for the new generation of viewers and purchases.

Basically the same reason they are now making a series aimed at kids.

After the mature and dramatic nature of 00 they need to hook kids into both watching the show and building the gunpla. Hence making it more Shonen style (with your zoids references).
"Ego futurus. ut est totus"

-I Exist. That Is All

for geek related goodness, check out these: @andthegeekshall
http://andthegeekshallinherit.tumblr.com/
http://andthegeekshall.wordpress.com/

Yami

• Commander
  • The Last Raven
    • View Profile
    • Realm of Darkness
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »

The series was initially intended to be 50 episodes but was made into a single movie instead. I really like the mecha as F91 is one of my most favorite gundam design and i like the ending song as well.

The story is not that good and have some plotholes here and there since Tomino is not the type of Director who can explain his story well with short episodes as he usually needs 50 episodes to get all of his plots done. In my opinion this series also experience the same thing with Gundam X where it got changed from initial plan due to the predecessor which is CCA iirc.

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »

@shadow - ah I get ya, it's a pity though serious adult anime is the best imo, especially where giant mechs are concerned, if only the trend to make gritty, dark super hero movies translated to anime
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:57:45 PM by Fury-s12 »

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »

@shadow - ah I get ya  makes sense to pity though serious adult anime is the best imo specially where giant mechs are concerned if only the trend to make gritty dark speer hero movies translated to anime

Gee that was hard to read. How about a few . & , please  ;)
Real men don't LOL!

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »

Ha sorry mate I'm on my phone and if I rush it grammar is the first to go, back to the topic though discuss the movie people, I just googled it love the mech design

Sandrock

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »

The cancelled 50 Episode series does explain why the story seems very rushed.  It's too bad.  I would have watched it.

I like the mechanical design of the series.  The old HG model kits of this series do not represent the designs properly.  Thank goodness there is an MG of the F-91.  I especially like the design of having a "closed" face and "open" face on the Gundam.  (I also have the Crossbone MG which has a closed an open face design.)

I would really love to see a Gundam Crossbone Anime. Until then, all I have to watch is this...

ZETA NEWTYPE

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • GAF Returner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »

The cancelled 50 Episode series does explain why the story seems very rushed.  It's too bad.  I would have watched it.

I like the mechanical design of the series.  The old HG model kits of this series do not represent the designs properly.  Thank goodness there is an MG of the F-91.  I especially like the design of having a "closed" face and "open" face on the Gundam.  (I also have the Crossbone MG which has a closed an open face design.)

I would really love to see a Gundam Crossbone Anime. Until then, all I have to watch is this...

I JUST finished my MG F-91. This kit is tiny, and a bit dated but it was fun to build! 

Sandrock

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:36 PM »

@ Zeta Newtype - You should post your Critique of the model in the R&D Section.  I'm interested in hearing a more detailed review from you.

http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=304.0

ZETA NEWTYPE

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • GAF Returner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:59:30 AM »

@ Zeta Newtype - You should post your Critique of the model in the R&D Section.  I'm interested in hearing a more detailed review from you.

http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index.php?topic=304.0
I shall soon as I decal it up and finish the stand for it. :D

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »

I am a strong proponent of "F91 should have been a TV series". The one thing Gundam fails to convey in a movie is depth. It works if the movie continues on from a TV series (such as Char's Counterattack), but not as a standalone.

Also, from a purely technological standpoint, it makes sense to have smaller, faster, and more efficient MS. Especially notable was older bigger MS versus F-series 'small' MS-- F91 showcased it pretty well, and hell, the Loto in Unicorn also showed the advantages of having a much smaller MS handy. I would have liked some depth and description on how the Federation's older MS were having so much trouble with machines 3/4ths their size (A sequence in the F90 manga showcased it pretty well, too)--difference in tactics, technical limitations.

Not to mention that F91 was the last Gundam series wherein I liked Okawara's original design.
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."
Pages: [1] 2

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF