Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
April 25, 2017, 10:21:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: MG Exia Repair  (Read 3967 times)

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
MG Exia Repair
« on: June 05, 2011, 01:17:18 AM »

Hi guys!  I'd like to present my latest work.  This is the MG Exia with the repair parts.  This was a shelved project last year since I lost a part in the GN Sword so I had to look for scrap parts before I could resume this.  

I painted this kit by weathering specifically by pre shading technique, paint chipping by hairspray technique, enamel wash, pin wash, dry brushed selected parts and used bandai water decals.

Ah by the way, the GN drive isn't weathered since that's been painted last year along with my other MG Exia Ignition Mode.  

A little brief History of the Exia Repair from Gundam Wiki:

Gundam Exia Repair is the crudely repaired version of Exia. Due to lack of contact with Celestial Being during the 4 years after their defeat, Exia was never fully repaired from the damage it sustained in combat with Graham Aker and his SVMS-01X Union Flag Custom II. When it reappeared in A.D. 2312, it was in a state of poor maintenance, with most of the damaged areas crudely patched together by its Meister, Setsuna F. Seiei.

The overall damage upon Exia was extensive: The left arm was severed by the GN Flag's beam saber and was never recovered, instead it was replaced with a camouflage sheet that creates the illusion of a cloak. Setsuna reattached Exia's head, but the right-optical-eye remained gutted, it was substituted with a red-glowing optic salvaged from a MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type in its place. As the cockpit was impaled and damaged by the Flag, a scrounged gray cockpit hatch was seen in place of the Exia's original cockpit hatch. As most of its other weapons were discarded in the battle against the GNMS-XCVII Alvaaron, Exia only had access to its broken GN Sword and its right arm's GN Vulcan, leaving it with very little offensive options. It's presumed that Exia Repair posseses the Trans-Am System and its Optical Camouflage, but it is unknown whether these systems are still viable due to the extreme disrepair state of the machine. Because of the Exia Repair's extensive damage and overall limited combat options, Setsuna was forced to rely on his own skills to fend off the new mobile suits fielded by A-Laws.

Pic of the unpainted kit last year:

The painted kit:

some closeup shots:

Action shots:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:19:32 AM by Garret Masterson »

ZETA NEWTYPE

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • GAF Returner
    • View Profile
Re: MG Exia Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 05:19:47 AM »

Wow, that looks fantastic. I love all the little details in your weathering and the way you painted the cloak really brings realism to it. Keep up the good work!

Xenomorph

• Commander
  • Whoop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:30:20 AM »

That thing looks completely trashed =P. Awesome Job!
Fear the Facehugger!

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »

A serious build up of space dust there! Wow, really impressive weathering Garret! There is a lot of it and it is used very effectively. I'm impressed with the weathering of the decals, that adds a lot to the effect. The shadowing on the cloak really gives it some depth. Love the last shot with the two of them together and also your painted CB base is really beautiful. So often I see wonderfully painted kits on (coloured) bare plastic action bases and it always looks out of place. Really great work mate, thank you for sharing!

;D :haro:

ZETA NEWTYPE

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • GAF Returner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »

Two model features on the blog today and Garret, you got yourself one of them! http://gundamaustralia.blogspot.com/2011/06/gaf-gunpla-member-feature-garret.html

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »

@ZETA NEWTYPE

Wow thanks for being featured in the blog!  yeah I'm happy with the result of the cloak as well.  I've been racking my brains for a long time to get that result.

@Xenomorph

thanks man!  Yeah poor guy got messed up real good at the end of season 1 hence I made the paint chipping heavier than normal.

@Sonar

thanks man! I saw this one kit with a painted celestial being action base so it inspired me to my own version as well.  As for the decals I'm glad I used water decals for this one since it really blends well after being weathered.

shadow298

• Rear Admiral
  • UNLEASH THE GUAN
    • View Profile
    • And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth blog
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »

Great work there, mate, but am wondering if the Exia repair is a separate kit or is it part of a standard one that you get?

Either way, really epic. \m/
"Ego futurus. ut est totus"

-I Exist. That Is All

for geek related goodness, check out these: @andthegeekshall
http://andthegeekshallinherit.tumblr.com/
http://andthegeekshall.wordpress.com/

ZETA NEWTYPE

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
  • GAF Returner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »

Great work there, mate, but am wondering if the Exia repair is a separate kit or is it part of a standard one that you get?

Either way, really epic. \m/
Exia Repair comes in MG Exia Ignition Mode. Which is a special edition Exia kit that comes with silver plated weapons, two LED units and the optional parts to build MG Exia Repair.

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »

@shadow298

Thanks man!  Just as zeta said buy the mg exia ignition mode.  You won't regret it!

fury-s12

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »

Wowser that thing looks great man it looked good b4 but it didn't match the back story but the effects you added do the job prefectly its exactly how is expect it to look  after that back story nicely done

Pretty sure the exia ignition mode just jumped up to near the top of many peoples want list mine included

shadow298

• Rear Admiral
  • UNLEASH THE GUAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »

Thanks man!  Just as zeta said buy the mg exia ignition mode.  You won't regret it!

No probs, mate, but seems as though I'll have to buy two kits for the Repair and Ignition modes. ;) ;D

-I Exist. That Is All

shadow298

• Rear Admiral
  • UNLEASH THE GUAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »

-I Exist. That Is All

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »

@Fury-s12

thanks man!  I've tried making the damage anime accurate since I'm really a big fan of the anime series.  I keep re-watching the first episode of season 2 just to see what the exia repair looks like haha!  Although my version has one difference since I still added the front and back ankle guards of the left foot just to even out the the details.

@shadow298

Haha yeah that's what I did as well.  I bought 1 MG Exia Ignition mode then I bought 1 normal MG Exia.

You can try Rainbow ten webshop if HLJ doesn't have stock.  In my experience they're sometimes cheaper with their gunplas: http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html 

Xenomorph

• Commander
  • Whoop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »

@ shadow298

A website I've gotten quite a few models from is called Plamoya with most their prices being the same as HLJ and they also are based in japan

Here's a link to the Ignition mode Exia : http://plamoya.com/en/bandai-1per100-scale-model-mg-gundam-exia-ignition-mode-construc-p-26622.html
Fear the Facehugger!
Pages: [1]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF