Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
May 26, 2020, 02:36:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Stores to buy gunpla/plamo in Melbourne  (Read 32675 times)

Goose_Ver_KA

• Newber
    • View Profile
Re: Stores to buy gunpla/plamo in Melbourne
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2016, 10:21:01 PM »

Just to let everyone know, this list needs updating. Minotaur is overpriced, but great for other anime stuff. Very low stock. Metro Hobbies has decent prices and the best range in the CBD by far. Hearts Hobbies has a varied but small selection but a bit on the expensive side. I haven't been there, but I've seen nothing but negative reviews about animasia. One stop anime is my personal choice, the owners a nice guy, the prices are awesome and they have P-Bandai and exclusive kits, as well as Gundam markers, DVDs and converge/assault kingdom/gashapon. I don't know much about any other stores, but that's a start.

Wavehawk

• Rear Admiral
  • Some would say I'm the Reverse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 07:27:58 PM »

I can only say for the Melbourne Area, and I'll name-drop the newer ones first:

One Stop Anime is the place to go if you absolutely must have the latest gunpla and don't want to buy online. They're good for Anime figures as well, which is the main reason I drop by there.

Anime Town (728 Sydney Rd, near Albion station but you can take a tram up as well), they have a decent supply of Gunpla and figures and they also stock some Resin conversion kits as well as some stock of the "HG Builders Weapons" packs that were available in Japan but never exported.

Gundam Universe in Carnegie (Level 1, Suite 3, 23 Koornang Road right next to Carnegie station), stock lots of Gunpla and a few non-gunpla kits (Zoids) as well as a space for people to build the kits. Drinks, too. They used to stock Koto Muv-Luv kits but have stopped because I'm the only nut who actually buys them. :(

For the other places:

Hearns Hobbies is a bit pricier for Gunpla but I find I get along with the guys there quite a bit. And not just for Gunpla, as they have a decent range of RC, train, tank, and aircraft kits as well. If you want to chat about modelling techniques as well as buying Gunpla, they'd be the people I'd point you to.

Metro Hobbies has both a City store and a Box Hill store. The City store tends to have more Gunpla and is generally okay, but tends to be busy on weekends. Especially when it's a bunch of kids whining and their parents complaining about why their kids have to assemble their own robot toys. Box Hill store has less gunpla but I find it's the quieter shop.

Minotaur's issue is that they get their stock from US sellers. So retail upon retail upon retail. I rarely buy Gunpla from them unless nobody else has it--usually I'm there picking out comics or action figures. Minotaur also used to sell Koto kits but nowadays it's sporadic.

Hard to say with Animasia as the owner has changed. I never had problems before but I haven't really been there since the ownership change. Might have to drop by there after my move of house.

There are other shops but recently a few of them have been in limbo or have closed (OzAnimart) so it's harder for me to say.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:37:41 PM by Wavehawk »
"...we haven't been properly introduced..."

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 11:23:54 PM »

Andrew's Hobbies in Deer Park. Plenty of fresh Gunpla stock plus tons of paints and other building goodies. Bandai Builders Parts, Bandai decals, military, aircraft, trains & diecast plus a spray booth and build area.
Real men don't LOL!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF