Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
July 26, 2017, 08:50:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Panel lining  (Read 18848 times)

Frontl1ne

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Panel lining
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »

I used gundam markers for the first time on my Astray Red Frame and I was absolutely terrible at it. Opted for wash method for the tactical arms and it was a god send!
We can rebuild him, we have the technology.

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »

reviving the thread: when do you panel line? Before or after a coat of matt spray?

If the surface is matt, then the matt paint will soak up the panel lining wash and make it look like an awful attempt at shading. It needs to be a gloss finish to allow the wash to flow smoothly and evenly along the panel lines. Once the lining is done, then spray a matt clear over the top again to get your desired finish.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:43:29 AM by TheGhostofZeon »

kirky

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what panel line colour to use on black panels? let's use the Banshee for example! Which is actually a blue/grey disappointingly not really black.

Cheers

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »

Depends on what you are looking for. If it's just contrast then light grey or dark grey might be the go. If you are looking for a weathered look then some shade of brown would do the trick. You can get Copic markers in light & dark grey and Gundam Fine Tip Markers in Grey & Brown. You could use the Tamiya Panel Line solutions just make sure you don't slop it on as it can have a pretty detrimental effect on unpainted plastic, especially if it's under tension such as a snap fit joint. Another alternative is the range of MIG and or AK Interactive washes or make your own  :)
Real men don't LOL!

kirky

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »

Thanks I have the Gundam panel markers

theAsianBirdFlu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 03:54:42 PM »

To be perfectly honest, I use a normal 0.1 ink pen that costed only about two bucks. It's served me well and I use cotton swabs to clean stray lines up. If it makes a smudge, I usually let the main line dry first, then use toothpaste to clean it up. It also gives quite a finish to the final product as well. :)

c4cloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »

From my experience in military modelling, most people there would not touch the gundam markers.

For panel lining, I have several ways, which one to be used depends on my mood I guess:
+ Oil/Enamel paint wash: this one is mostly for serious modellers since they're quite problematic
+ Acrylic wash: less problematic since there is almost no worry of ruining the prior coat of paint
+ water color/pastel wash: very easy to use, also very forgiving too. I consider this one "fool-proof" since we only need to soak the model in water if we make a mess. However, this one is not durable and requires top-coat ASAP. This is by far my favourite method. Sometimes, I even use ink (the one that you put in students' fountain pen) - see my Zaku black tri star post
+ gundam marker/pencil: I like this one a lot since it's so easy and fast. I'm planning on using this for my next model.

But then, it all comes down personal references I think.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:15:20 PM by c4cloud »

Greywolf916

• View Profile
    • http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YBVnurbflhA/TPD0dFkm7EI/AAAAAAAAAPw/peeY--xv9_4/s1600/37187_1285961721.jpg
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 02:14:08 AM »

Panel lining is simple as ABC.

A: Do not use gundam markers under ANY circumstances. It is a guarantee for sub-standard result.

B: grab yourself a tube or 2 of artist oil, recommended to get black, white and perhaps brown, and the cheapest, that's probably $1.50 that'll last you a life time. Also grab some lighter fluid if you are not a smoker from your local $2 shop - Now you've spent less than it costs to buy a gundam marker

C: thin artist oil with lighter fluid, dip brush in paint, dip brush in panel line - watch paint flow, wipe away excess with any cloth/paper whatever.

Basically the desirable properties of a wash or panel lining liquid are:
- it flows easily
- you can control colour - one of the most common mistake people make when using gundam marker is, it is black, which doesn't go well with all colours. Panel lines should be a darker shade of the primary colour but not necessarily black - grey will work a lot better than black on pure white - black on white looks like broken china.
- it can be wiped and will not damage underlying paint

Gundam markers fail on all of the above.

That is all...
Pages: 1 2 [3]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF