Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
January 25, 2020, 07:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 79456 times)

xtoppable

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2013, 09:47:46 AM »

just a thin coat?

Piat

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 10, 2013, 10:16:37 AM »

Hey guys,

So I was base coating the last batch of parts for my Gouf this morning and when I finished and disconnected the brush there seemed to be water between the hose seal and the brush seal, would this be because of the regulator no longer grabbing the water? Is there a way to fix this or is a new regulator needed? it is only a little over 12 months old with not very extensive use.
"You dun Gouf'ed" - Ramba Ral

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #257 on: November 10, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »

Put an inline water trap between the end of the hose the the air brush.

The one at the compressor end will get the water straight out of the compressor but not what forms in the air line. When the warm air comes out of the compressor and hits the cooler tubing, thats when condensation occurs which will then be trapped if you add an inline water trap at the other end of the hose. If you don't, you will end up spraying blobs of water with your paint and ruining your work.

Questor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »

Hey guys I have made the decision to get myself an airbrush and was looking at all the info on here, and was trying to decide what to get.

I saw this compressor on eBay and thought it looked pretty good, any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-1-6HP-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-FOR-SPARY-GUN-WITH-TANK-/190408983945?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item2c55428589&_uhb=1

As for airbrush I was looking at the ab-120 from runway 13 but it seems to be out of stock ATM. Is the complete set worth the extra $40?

I know a lot has been said already but store inventories Change all the time!

Thanks

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »

That compressor would one of the better toys. It's got pretty weak specifications and for about $70 more you can get a decent one such as the one below. They are a bit noisier but are superior in every other aspect for only a little bit more. Most industrial supply shops will have that or something similar.
Real men don't LOL!

Questor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »

Ah ok. I shall rethink a little then.
Is it better to start on a cheap brush or just to learn with a reasonable one?

OrganisedKaos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »

What are the specs we should be looking for in a compressor. Also is it normal not using an in-line water trap at the brush end cos I don't seem to be getting any moisture anywhere even when the compressor is running hot constantly?

My regulator doesn't fill up with moisture like it used to either but seems to be constantly leaking air even after I close it up

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »

Ah ok. I shall rethink a little then.
Is it better to start on a cheap brush or just to learn with a reasonable one?

If you can afford it start with a good one. If it's not your cup of tea you can always sell it but if you buy a cheapo set up you'll be stuck with it. The more expensive AB's are really worth the extra if you plan on building and painting heaps of models.

What are the specs we should be looking for in a compressor. Also is it normal not using an in-line water trap at the brush end cos I don't seem to be getting any moisture anywhere even when the compressor is running hot constantly?

My regulator doesn't fill up with moisture like it used to either but seems to be constantly leaking air even after I close it up

The Stinger or a compressor of a similar type is usually around 1.5HP, direct drive, 6lt or slightly bigger tank (any bigger and the price starts to get up there), pump output of 100 l/min (that way it only runs for very short periods to top up the tank) and a pressure of 100psi. These compressors usually only take around 1 minute to fill the tank and seeing as you are only running the AB at around 30psi max the tank takes quite some time to bleed down and when it does kick in to top up it's only for a matter of seconds. With this set up you don't need a moisture filter on the AB, just use a combined regulator filter at the tank. I won't bore you with the nitty gritty but most of the moisture if not all of it ends up in the bottom of the tank and there is a drain to remove it. As these compressors never really run hot, moisture is not really an issue like it can be with the toys that flog their guts out just to keep up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:28:15 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »

Forgot to add that where you live can play a big part in moisture in the system. If you live in a humid area such as Brisbane or the like you will get a lot more moisture in the system than if you lived down south in the drier areas. But as I said the better the compressor, the less this becomes an issue.
Real men don't LOL!

dagezou

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
Airbrush beginner findings...and questions
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »

I recently took the plunge and decided to get a compressor/AB.    It's been interesting and I've found that trial and error is the best way to discover stuff rather than copying what others have found, although there is some great info on the net.  I have a sparmax dh-103 which I really like but also got a Runway 13 Nozomi for reasons I'll go through below. Here's my findings so far on various paints:

Tamiya Acrylic & Mr Hobby Aqueos:   No problems.   Only issue here is finding the right ratio for paint/thinner.   I use Tamiya thinner for their paint and Gunze for theirs and they both look equally great.    I tend to thin paint a lot (start with thinner then add paint rather than the other way round) to get it cleanly through the .03 nozzle on the sparmax.  I'm really happy using these paints.

Vallejo Model Air:  Now it gets interesting.  Spraying this is an exercise in trial and error.   The solid colours work great on the sparmax, for example I can spray their acrylic primer with the sparmax no problem.   BUT...their metallics are different.  All of them.   Vallejo is kind of known for having great metallics (for an acrylic) but what I'm finding is that the metal particles in the paint just do not pass through the .03 nozzle.  The AB clogs right away, even if I use (a lot of) Vallejo thinner.  So I got the Nozomi because it has 4 needles including a .05 and .07.   Works much better but a pain.   Vallejo paints won't be a regular on my bench, even though I love the pre-mixed idea as well as the eye dropper bottles.  Initial tests with the larger nozzle size are good.  It sprays much better.

Mr Surfacer:  Same issue as the Vallejo paints...it just sprays better from a larger nozzle.   Have tried Mr White Base 1000 as well as Mr Surfacer 1000 and both liked the larger nozzle better.   I'm  not sure this is an AB issue, it may be my ratio since it doesn't seem to have big particles but I haven't used it enough to get a complete read on it.

Gainotes:   Oh man this paint is the BOMB!   Thinned up nice and thin and using the sparmax,  it's a beautiful paint.  Very nice.   I was a bit scared of laquer based paint before I tried it but I'm hooked now. 

Still to try from my bench: 

Mr Hobby laquer paint.   Just haven't needed my Gundam colours yet but I expect this to be as good as Gaianotes.
Humbrol Enamels.  A bit scared of yet another type of paint but I really like Humbrol for brushing so I'm expecting good things.

Questions:

1. Am I on the right track regarding metallic paint  and needle/nozzle size or is it my mixing/airbrushing causing issues with the sparmax and clogging?

2. Clear coats....do you always need to match clear coat type with the paint underneath it, ie do you need to use acrylic clear over acrylic, enamel over enamel and lacquer over lacquer or can you mix and match?  I've only tried the Vallejo Model Air flat clear acrylic over Tamiya and it worked well (another sparmax clogger though).

3.  Using a bigger needle/nozzle REALLY ups the paint use (and air use, damn compressor comes on all the time using a .05)...should I be doing anything to counter this or can I always expect to need (a lot) more paint if using a bigger needle/nozzle?

4.  Can I expect the same issues I had with Vallejo metallics on others?   I have no issue spraying colours like Tamiya Metallic Grey or Gunze Steel Red so I'm hoping that it's a Vallejo-only issue but haven't sprayed Humbrol/Gaia/Gunze lacquer metallics yet so don't know.

Mod edit: merged with existing AB topic.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:47:02 PM by thegunny »

mondie09

• Newber
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 01, 2014, 09:52:07 PM »

Greetings!
Upon reading on this thread, I have decided to acquire this as a starter compressor. http://www.princess-trade.com.au/cart/dynamic-power-1-6hp-air-brush-compressor-with-tank-metal-case.html#

But It seems that I cant turn off one of the valves, for some reason the on/off knob isnt working, its just always on. lol
I'm very new at this thing so I was wondering is there a safe way of "covering" on of those valves so I can build up pressure?

Thanks. :)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »

I really don't know why people buy these toys when for around $40 more you can have yourself a proper compressor  :-\ anyway on to your question.

I don't quite understand it but if it's what I think it is, just block off the airbrush outlet that the faulty tap feeds. You can get blanking plugs from any industrial tool outlet. Make sure you take the compressor with you so they can match the thread.
Real men don't LOL!

Frontl1ne

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »

Lots of talk about compressors :) I'll give a run down on the princess trade one I have (same one as the one linked 2nd post above mine)
- loud
- runs hot
- slow to refill, doesn't turn off while I'm airbrushing
- pressure varies greatly while refilling

It does the job, but it's too loud. Anyone have recommendations for a decent, quiet compressor? I have a water trap/regulator already but most of them seem to come with them anyway.

Also, I have a cheapo dynamic power spray booth which doesn't remove as much paint particles as I'd like. I know gunny built one from scratch (with impressive exhaust piping from what I recall haha) but I'm not confident in my handiwork. Does anyone have experience in something like this: http://www.stanbridges.com.au/shop.SPSB88. The price seems exorbitant, but there's not many other options :(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:51:44 PM by Frontl1ne »
We can rebuild him, we have the technology.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »

That's not much better than the one you've got. It has the advantage of a replaceable filter but its airflow is pretty ordinary, especially for the price. The flexi duct that it comes with will also knock the flow right down as it does with any type of air flow.
Real men don't LOL!

Frontl1ne

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »

thanks for the reply gunny, guess I will look into trying to build one myself  :amuro3:
We can rebuild him, we have the technology.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF