Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 19, 2020, 12:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 79767 times)

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »

You can save so much more if you purchase the compressor from Princess Trade. Links are a couple posts up.

Then youve got a lot to spend on a good airbrush, or you can buy multiple cheap airbrushes. So far, cheap airbrushes have not been any bad. Look at my works, they arent all that bad.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Solarus

• Newber
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2012, 07:43:45 AM »

Thanks for the information :)

Hi Ethan, Thanks for your reply. qick question about this line, Is siphon better then gravity feed ?
while choosing, you might want to take into account that kit #4's airbrush is siphon feed and kit #2 and #2a are gravity feed.

Hi Quangvong, thanks for your reply,
in not over fussed about were i get it, aslong as it comes in a kit form, so to speak.. i don't want my inexperience to buy something that wont fit or work..If they have kits with everything then booya!..
You can save so much more if you purchase the compressor from Princess Trade. Links are a couple posts up.

Then youve got a lot to spend on a good airbrush, or you can buy multiple cheap airbrushes. So far, cheap airbrushes have not been any bad. Look at my works, they arent all that bad.

Also i was told i do need a water capture device on it >_< not sure why. im assuming mosture gets into the paint somehow ?.

Anyways.. thank you for the replys, ill have another hunt around today and see what i can come up with.

Cheers
Sol

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »

Also i was told i do need a water capture device on it >_< not sure why. im assuming moisture gets into the paint somehow ?.

...coz otherwise you will see the paint spluttered all over your piece ruining what ever you were doing. Fixing would be wash away the painting and start all over again with that piece...

Solarus

• Newber
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »

Also i was told i do need a water capture device on it >_< not sure why. im assuming moisture gets into the paint somehow ?.

...coz otherwise you will see the paint spluttered all over your piece ruining what ever you were doing. Fixing would be wash away the painting and start all over again with that piece...

right so water capture device is a must then.. :)

Thanks for clearing that up

Sol

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »

^ Water trap is a must need unless you occasionally want water sprayed all over your piece at the worst moment. As for siphon and gravity, each has its own advantages. Most people go with the gravity feed but it's really up to your own personal choice. I started off using siphon and I still am. 

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »

The key point with airbrushes is not really how the paint is feed into the airbrush but more how the paint and air mix together. The two types are internal and external mixtures.

Internal - paint is mixed directly with the airflow within the airbrush chamber (most gravity feed and some siphon feed systems)
External - paint is mixed outside the airbrush chamber with separate air and paint source positions (primarily siphon feed systems)

Siphon feed airbrushes are heavily reliant on having the right mixture and more so if it is an external mix system. The only benefit I've heard about a siphon feed system is that you can store your paint mixtures and interchange colours on the fly with little wastage, in addition external mix systems are easier to clean.

Gravity feed airbrushes are primarily internal mix systems. Having a double action airbrush will further increase the control-ability of the airbrush with independent paint and airflow control. They can be a pain to clean if there has been a bit of neglect over time but it is a good system to use.

Like most things airbrushing is easy to learn and hard to master. 

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »

one more thing.
with gravity feed you can mix the paint you are spraying on the go.
For example I start with the base colour and add the colour to alter the shade or what not and do the same at each stage which means I don't have to stop clean/change/etc.
Call me lazy ^ ^

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »

Lol, you arent the only one. I mix on the go as well.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Solarus

• Newber
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »

Hi all and thank you again for helping out. Sorry for the delayed responce, works been killing me..

Ok so i have a good idea of what i need and i like the whole grav feed system.. :)

So. were should i go to buy the stuff?. are there any kits that have everything ?

im still kinda keen on the A2 set that i linked before, only because it seems to have everything that is required..

Thanks again guys, i look forward to putting my first Model up in a few weeks :)

Sol

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:40 AM »

http://www.princess-trade.com.au/cart/dynamic-power-table-top-spray-booth-with-filter-for-air-brushes.html

This came through on the emails this morning. Currently at $79 so it's pretty reasonably priced.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »

That is an excellent find. Really good size and great airflow.

Frontl1ne

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »

Hi peeps! Another newbie thinking about starting airbrushing here.. combing through this thread, so far I've narrowed it down to the following items for my first airbrush setup!

Dynamic Power Spray Booth

Dynamic Power Compressor

Runway 13 AB-120 Airbrush

Runway 13 Moisture Trap

I've read a few mentions that the compressor has a 1/8" hose connector, is that still the case? If so, will I need this adapter to connect the hose to the compressor?

I'm also considering priming my parts with the airbrush instead of cans, should I be looking at a bigger nozzle? The one that comes with the AB-120 is 0.3mm. Runaway 13 sell two different 0.5mm nozzles, I'm not sure which to get or if they will fit the airbrush I'm looking to get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm not set on those items so if you have recommendations for any better items, let me know! Money is not too huge of an issue, but less is always better and I'm going by the assumption that something will go wrong on my first go  :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:48:09 PM by Frontl1ne »
We can rebuild him, we have the technology.

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »

The hose and airbrush both use the 1/8" thread, so you will not need that adapter. If you decide to change the nozzle, then you can use a smaller needle, but thatneedle will stick out more than normal.  But you wouldnt need a bigger nozzle for priming.

NB: Ive got a spare water trap thats exactly like the one in that link. If you would like it PM me about it.

That airbrush is quite dear for a no brand one. Itll do the job, but for that price, you could get something better.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Frontl1ne

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »

Thanks for the handy reply QV,

Sorry I mislabeled the airbrush company, it should be 'runway' not 'runaway' :)
They have been mentioned on a few forums (including this thread!) as being very well made airbrushes.

Thanks for the offer on the moisture trap, but since it's quite cheap anyway, I don't mind grabbing it from runway if I do get the airbrush.

I will grab the stuff tonight if I don't find any other info... can't wait!

Edit:

Received my Princess Trade Compressor and Spray Booth today. They are both a lot louder than I imagined when turned on! Far louder than my computer :) Build quality isn't the best, but they should do the job fine.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:02:17 PM by Frontl1ne »

Frontl1ne

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »

Sorry for double posting  ;D

I received everything today and started some basic painting... Just wondering, how do people control the pressure on the dynamic power compressors? I see the two knobs but if I try to get it around 30 psi, when I spray it'll let out a little burst of air and that's it. If I leave the knob at around 45+ psi, the compressor will continuously push out air like how I imagined it would.
 Stumped  ???
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF