Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 19, 2020, 12:13:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 79780 times)

Skin_the_Sun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »

Yay! I just won that compressor on ebay for $51 plus $23 shipping. So now i need an airbrush. I was thinking of this kit as it supposedly has everything a beginner needs, although i'm not sure how good it is for modelling as opposed to other airbrushing uses.

http://www.hobbyserv.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=31

I'm not looking for anything too flash to start with, regardless, what do you guys think?

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »

I think that the airbrush is a great starting point, nothing too complicated. But if you want something a bit fancier and higher quality, I think you should try something from Badger or as GoZ once suggested to me, something from http://runway13.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_17
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:05:18 PM by Ethan »

Skin_the_Sun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »

Those look really good, i've checked out Runway 13 before and people seem to agree that their products are of the highest quality. Just probably a bit more than i wanted to spend at the moment though, although if i want to upgrade in the future, i think one of their airbrushes would be an excellent choice.

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »

If you are worried about price, grab a cheap one from eBay. It's best to learn on a cheap one rather than breaking an expensive one.

Runway 13 is the go though. Quality of the more expensive brands for a fraction of the price.

EDIT : There are $20 ones on Princess Trade at the moment. Beware - you get what you pay for....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:53:35 PM by TheGhostofZeon »

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »

Sooooo, since my Sparmax compressor died last week (as I posted in the Recent Purchases topic) I 'lashed' out and grabbed a compressor from Princess Trade. It's been a few days since I started using it and I thought I'd post up some pics of the unit and my thoughts for those of you who are looking for a compressor.

I paid $130 odd including postage for the one I got. Princess Trade have a few different units for various prices and this one is the middle of the range and has a tank below the compressor (other models are compressor only and with tank and cover).

First and only issue I have had so far is that the hose adaptor is 1/8" and the end of my air brush hose (like most) is 1/4". Simple fix, I removed the adaptor from the old Sparmax and got a 1/8" to 1/8" female adaptor to join both together.

The unit has a pressure gauge and adjustment knob before the hose which is easily adjusted. Most paint I use has been air brushed at between 25-30 PSI and everything sprays on neatly and evenly. The unit continues to operate until the pressure reaches it maximum and then the compressor turns off.

Having the extra tank to hold a reserve of pressurised air helps keep the PSI levels between the range I need without dipping too low. Once the pressure starts to fall, the compressor turns back on and fills the tank once again, keeping pressure levels even.

The unit also features a thermal cut off so if it runs for too long and the unit gets scolding hot, it will turn itself off before any damage is done to it.

Compared to the old Sparmax, this unit is quite large but the compressor itself is a similar size :

So far it has been working a dream and I am quite happy with it. If I find any issues in the future, I'll post an update but at the moment, it all works great!

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »

Seems like a great buy for $130 mate, with great features. How noisy is it?

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »

There's a bit of noise but not as bad as the old Sparmax. I'd imagine that the noise levels are on par for an air compressor.

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »

Princess Trade is having an End of Financial Year sale at the moment and air compressors are on sale if anyone is keen on getting one :

http://www.princess-trade.com.au/cart/dynamic-power-1-6hp-air-brush-compressor-with-tank-metal-case.html

Pretty much the same compressor I got a few months back but with heaps of added extras like outer casing and other stuff.

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

Damn thats cheap! I got mine for $150.

Only thing about that compressor, is that it does not have a water filter.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:25:16 PM by QuangVuong »

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

LordGaz

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2012, 08:56:57 PM »

I just spent 1.5 hours going from page 1 of this thread to the end, and very convinced now to get a AB setup, and what do I find at the end?  A heavily discounted compressor on sale right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope milady approves of this......

koolism

• Newber
    • View Profile
Airbrush and Compressor
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »

Mod edit: merged with the existing Airbrush and compressor topic.

Hi Guys,

Iím new, and was hoping someone can give me some insight into this.

Iím looking for airbrush and compressor

I know what I should get, from reading online, but Iím still uncertainty on what brand to get, any advice would be great.
 Will it make a big difference getting a cheaper brand that has all the specification?

My Budget is around $300 but if possible I would like to spend lesser.
However I want value for money, I hate to find out later that I should of spend a bit more money to have a good airbrush and compressor.

At the moment

I have search around and saw this Dynamic Power brand from
http://www.princess-trade.com.au/cart/dynamic-power-1-6hp-air-brush-compressor-with-tank.html $79.95 or http://www.princess-trade.com.au/cart/dynamic-power-1-6hp-air-brush-compressor-with-tank-metal-case.html $89.95
http://www.princess-trade.com.au/cart/dynamic-power-dual-action-air-brush-with-micro-air-control.html# $29.95

Or

Spend a bit more and get Compressor and Airbrush
http://www.hobbytools.com.au/airbrush-compressor-kit-2a/ $259

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:43:05 PM by thegunny »

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »

The hobby tools one is a good bit of kit, I have that compressor and havent had any dramas at all, i've also picked up cheap airbrushes from princess trade on ebay so I guess it's personal choice here

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »

THat first Dynamic power one is just like the  one from HobbyTools.

Ive got the second Dynamic Power compressor there. Basically all three have the same compressor. My one just has a smaller tank, but it allows for 2 airbrushes. And it does not have a air/water filter.

As for airbrushes, I just use cheapo $15 ones off eBay. They are dual action gravity feeds, and still work as they should for over a year now. Although, that Dynamic Power one looks like my very first AB. Its better than my current one now, so go for it!

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Solarus

• Newber
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »

Hi Everyone,

First post and im asking for help :(

So Currently im just toying with the High grade gundams, learning how to build them, what glue to use and what not to use. I finished my first few and i really want to paint them and make them cool, however hand painting them hasn't really given me a good result. So after chatting with some people they suggested that i use a airbrush. So being new to this google explained a fair bit,and after reading through this post i just became more confused. After all of this i was still unsure what would work for me and what i should buy.

So i ask what is the different between these three "packs" and do they offer everything i need to start painting my gundams :)

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/airbrush-compressor-kit-2a-super-quiet/
http://www.hobbytools.com.au/airbrush-compressor-kit-2/
http://www.hobbytools.com.au/airbrush-compressor-kit-4-super-quiet/

All three fall into my acceptable $$ limit so any are acceptable, as long as it can provide a nice smooth spray. Also do i need any sort of cleaning kit as well ?

I know this seems very noobish, however there isnt anyone in my area that i can ask for guidance and some of the local stores just want to sell there stuff without really "helping".

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sol

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »

Okay, so the differences are the airbrush and compressor provided. Personally, I don't see why you wouldn't go for the 2A since it gives you a compressor with a tank as well as a Sparmax DH-103 (heard some pretty positive things about this) but if you want to go with a more 'reliable' airbrush brand then kit #4 with the Badger would be the way to go. Also, while choosing, you might want to take into account that kit #4's airbrush is siphon feed and kit #2 and #2a are gravity feed.

Cleaning up set wise, all you need is an empty bottle to spray your thinner into (make sure this is solvent proof!!) and a pipe cleaner. If you want to go fancier, Sparmax or Master make some specially designed spray jar thingy so then you don't have to breathe in the mists of thinner.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:35:10 PM by Ethan »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF