Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 26, 2020, 10:52:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 80136 times)

Noless

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2011, 12:42:56 AM »

hmm, i didnt think of using MEK, though ive used that to strip games workshop paint off the metal miniatures before and it doesn't dissolve, it just goes rubbery, never thought to try toluene or xylene though

jnhchan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2011, 01:49:22 AM »

just use model use acrylic thinner.  If you want to save money, use water to clean your AB during the painting process and use thinner to clean your AB when you finish all the painting.  I found out that the cleaning process waste most of the thinner.  Thinning the
paint is only about 30% of my usage.  Rest of 70% is cleaning. 
That's 1 firearm per every 12 people on the planet. The question is how do we arm the other 11

dominict

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • TotalGunpla
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2011, 04:16:34 AM »

Hey guys, hows everyone?

I appear to have a problem with my airbrush. I have a gravity fed dual action brush from super cheap auto and after cleaning it once ive found that after pushing the trigger down it gets a little bit stuck. In effect air keeps coming through for a second after I life my finger off the trigger. Now this hasn't led to any problems yet, but can anyone here see it becoming a problem?
Looking for inspiration or stuck on a particular problem? Check out TotalGunpla for tutorials & build reports.
www.TotalGunpla.com

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2011, 04:57:47 AM »

Remove the hose attachment, 'o' ring and plug, check for moisture and/or paint. Do not use any lubricant on the 'o' ring or plug since it can cause clogging to occur within the airbrush.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:06:29 AM by KaiK »

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:50 AM »

Well, good news! After completely disassembling then reassembling my dad's airbrush, it's working the way it's suppose to now! I don't think it was assembled correctly after it was used last.

I just need to align the needle a bit more, because it's still spraying a bit of paint when I just hold down for air. But other than that, it's working like a charm!

So, after working with it for a bit, it's obvious that getting paint to the consistency of milk is my current issue, (Mine ends up too watery) so I'm going to work on that. But I forget... What do I want to thin Mr. Surfacer with? I remember it's a 1:1 ratio, but I can't remember if it's with some kind of thinner or if it's with water...

Dakaramor

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2011, 09:30:56 AM »

I ordered some airbrush medium from Amazon to give it a try. Supposedly this stuff not only thins but helps the paint stick better as well. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001US2NQA

This is the product description:

A pre-filtered ready-to-use medium that easily thins any acrylic watercolor or gouache to the right consistency for spray application. An excellent choice for color washes and watercolor techniques when used with acrylic colors. Mixes well with other mediums to adjust the body and handling properties. Maintains integrity of acrylics even at high dilutions and decreases airbrush clogging and paint buildup. Use with Liquitex Soft Body Color for best results.

potchip

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »

Sounds like it's used for airbrush art, ie painting on paper/cloth...Not sure it would help paint stick to smooth plastic surface..

Ideally thinner you use for plastic kits should attack the plastic a little so paint stick - the same reason plastic putties has some solvents..

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2011, 05:59:41 PM »

Well, good news! After completely disassembling then reassembling my dad's airbrush, it's working the way it's suppose to now! I don't think it was assembled correctly after it was used last.

I just need to align the needle a bit more, because it's still spraying a bit of paint when I just hold down for air. But other than that, it's working like a charm!

So, after working with it for a bit, it's obvious that getting paint to the consistency of milk is my current issue, (Mine ends up too watery) so I'm going to work on that. But I forget... What do I want to thin Mr. Surfacer with? I remember it's a 1:1 ratio, but I can't remember if it's with some kind of thinner or if it's with water...

For Mr Surfacer 500 and 1000 I generally use a 50/50 paint/thinner mix @ 25psi, for Mr Surfacer 1200 I use 70/30 mix and add a few drops of paint retarder @ 18-20psi. See how it works out for you.

In regards to your airbrush check the nozzle for splitting and warping, it might be part of the reason for the paint flow.

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »

Hey guys, hows everyone?

I appear to have a problem with my airbrush. I have a gravity fed dual action brush from super cheap auto and after cleaning it once ive found that after pushing the trigger down it gets a little bit stuck. In effect air keeps coming through for a second after I life my finger off the trigger. Now this hasn't led to any problems yet, but can anyone here see it becoming a problem?

If could eventually get worse, so you should either rebuild it or just get another. How much was that airbush bte. Looks like I need another one. Mine has died after 3 years of not using it.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Hoardz01

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »

Just bought this Paasche Talon from the US, and got it for $95 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200630351929

I think it looks pretty nice and have read some glowing reviews. This will be my first 'brand name' brush. Anyone here got any experience with this model? I think the $5 AB's will still do all the grunt work, just looking forward to cracking this out at pre/post shade time !

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »

Looks nice! If it's anything like the Paasche I used at work the other day (a VL, bottom loading dual-action), it'll handle very well once assembled correctly.

Noless

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »

ive now tried a tamiya pro works, i never thought it could be 3 times as good as my sparmax to justify the 3 times cost... but now i want one...

roggstudelpest

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • G...g...gundam
    • View Profile
    • Saiko Tackle - Need fishing gear, let me know!
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »

Well after reading through this thread and much consideration I decided I needed an airbrush set-up as hand painting blows!

I wanted the air compressor that was recommended at the start of this thread and www.hobbytools.com.au had the best price around. But I was unsure of what airbrush to get so I emailed them and the owner, Gary, got back to me quite quickly. After a lot of back and forth he had organised a custom package for me!

But then today before I was about to order he emailed me and said he had new packages thanks to price drops from suppliers!!!

Ended up going for http://www.hobbytools.com.au/prod268.htm which seemed the best bang for buck for a complete AB noob!

Will get an in-line moisture filter and another cheap AB unit later but this should get me started! If anyone is umming and ahhing about starting out with AB then you should most definitely consider contacting Gary as he seems open to organising package options to suit your needs and budget.

Hoardz01

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »

@ Kjasi. Lets hope that my talon is as good as the paasche you got to use.

@Rogg. Looks like a winner setup, I have the same compressor/AB minus the tank. Works a treat, wish I had the tank! The sparmax is a good AB, just make sure you keep it clean and be careful if you remove/insert the nozzle. Mine cracked because I used too much force tightening it and now I need to spend $25 on a new nozzle. From what I understand all nozzles of this design have this problem and is a typical beginners mistake.

Noless

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 11:30:44 PM »

i have the DH103, its a lovely brush and the 0.3mm nozzel is a good size for general purpose, i much prefer the trigger system on the sparmax than the delta (on the sparmax the "trigger" is not directly linked to the pin that presses the air valve, so pulling it apart is a bit easier) and i can attest to good build quality, as long as you clean it properly it should serve you well
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF