Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 25, 2020, 01:24:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 80114 times)

Hoardz01

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 07:08:22 PM »

Sounds like your getting right into it mate, nice one! Keep at it and have some fun :-)

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »

Look forward to it H  8) Thanks for the replies,how to use the flat base had me..

Cheers Hoardz,best hobby item I have purchased.
So many things I have wanted to try with AB that just are not possible with cans.
But in awe of how easy you guys with the know how make it look.Appreciate even more now the
finishes on some works I have seen here.

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:52 PM »

Consistency of milk is a good starting point when thinning but I generally start at 70% paint to 30% Tamiya thinner as a starting point and that works well.

General purpose thinners sometimes get mixed at 1:1 when using acrylics.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »

Keep in mind mixtures are one component to airbrushing, another is pressure which doesn't seem to be discussed as much. I use a 70% thinner to 30% paint ration for most acrylics and lacquer, however I sometimes spray paint straight from the pot with no thinners to get a rough texture or as a primer/base coat. The different mixtures need different pressures to work properly. Thicker paint generally needs higher pressures to spray and thinner works better with lower pressures. 18 psi is my main working pressure which I use a 70/30 mix, this gives me a bit of room to raise or lower the pressure depending on the consistency of the mixture, also at this pressure my moisture trap will always function properly. At 25+ psi I can spray all the thicker mixtures however over time the moisture trap will become saturated and water can start to spit out with the air, this is where an inline filter comes in handy.

A data base of paint type/paint mixtures + pressures would come in handy for everyone as a reference point.

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »

Okay, slightly off topic, but related: What kind of thinner should I use with my acrylic paints for airbrushing? I've heard lacquer thinner works just-as-well-as, if not better-than, acrylic thinner... (I'm looking at Tamiya brand thinners with Tamiya Acrylic paints.)

GacktC

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »

Okay, slightly off topic, but related: What kind of thinner should I use with my acrylic paints for airbrushing? I've heard lacquer thinner works just-as-well-as, if not better-than, acrylic thinner... (I'm looking at Tamiya brand thinners with Tamiya Acrylic paints.)

Have to use X20A to mix with Tamiya acrylic paints, I just mix it with water most of the time :)

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »

I just use thinner that is made for the paint, acrylic paint = acrylic thinner and so forth

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »

Isopropyl Alcohol works well and can be readily found in hardware stores. General Purpose thinners work OK too but 9 times out of 10, I stick with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner (which is similar to Isopropyl anyways).

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »

Oww... I just airbrushed for the first time. Wasn't a model kit though. Had to airbrush some foam ears for a parade float my boss in entering. It was quite the trial-by-fire! I was the only one there, had loads of problems with the paint clogging the airbrush, (took me a while, and several cleanings to figure out that THAT was the problem) and now my back hurts.

Once I figured out the problem it was much better. The airbrush is a Paasche VL. Anyone else use one of these? It's a bottom-loading dual-action airbrush, but the dual-action doesn't work. It might of been reassembled wrong before it was stored, and I have no idea as to how to fix it.

But as a whole, it was a great experience. Definitely going to get myself a gravity-fed airbrush.

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 08:41:42 PM »

If its dual action you can control the amount of air and paint which comes out. So you puch down for air, then pull back for paint. When you pull back the needle should move back, aloowing paint to exit. If your need is bent or not true anymore, then youll need another one.

Personally I like gravity feeds better.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 05:35:52 AM »

I press down, I get paint & air. I pull back, and I get paint & air. The forwards/backwards placement doesn't change how much paint comes out, even though I know it's supposed to. And the pressing down is almost binary... (Either that, or I'm pressing too hard...)

So, I think it's more of the pullback mechanism isn't working because it isn't assembled correctly. I'll check the instructions and see if I can fix it.

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 07:44:38 AM »

Sounds like your needle has a problem. Check out the tip of the needle if it  moves while pulling back.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

jnhchan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »

Did you secure the pin?  Most likely your pin is not secure and it is in " open" position.
That's 1 firearm per every 12 people on the planet. The question is how do we arm the other 11

Noless

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 12:06:31 PM »

word of warning from personal experience, normally lacquer thinner thins everything, but DO NOT use it on games workshop paints...
i actually screwed an AB like that, as in beyond repair, i mean if you cant get it out with automotive lacquer thinner or pure ammonia, nothing is gonna save that brush now...

dont make my mistake -.-

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »

word of warning from personal experience, normally lacquer thinner thins everything, but DO NOT use it on games workshop paints...
i actually screwed an AB like that, as in beyond repair, i mean if you cant get it out with automotive lacquer thinner or pure ammonia, nothing is gonna save that brush now...

dont make my mistake -.-

Laquer thinners & ammonia are rank amatuers at dissolving stuff. If you want your airbrush cleaned get some serious solvent like toluene, MEK or xylene. Word of warning though; make sure you remove ALL rubber, leather, cork or any other type of seals before you use those solvents otherwise you'll never get them out after.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:17:29 PM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF