Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
October 16, 2019, 02:38:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 78319 times)

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« on: March 13, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »

Looking to purchase my first airbrush outfit. I am looking to spend up to $800 to get all the equipment I need.
I have built a spraybooth at work,so the compressor has a dedicated environment which it will stay in.
Will be used for gundam and smaller scale kits,nothing that will need litres of paint  :)

Have $800 ready to go,but if there is something you feel is must have in the set up purchase-please let me know
and I can stretch the budget a lil further....( famous last words  ;D  )

Pro's/cons of different styles of equipment,and real world experience and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hopefully we can nut it out,so I can stop spending so much on cans..

Thanks,Mick.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:57:29 PM by TheGhostofZeon »

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Re: Airbrush set-up ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »

I use a 30 year old Badger 200 and a Scorpion compressor that cost me less than $100 if that's any help. ???

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:38:55 AM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »

Hobbytools.com.au have a great range at reasonable prices.

For $800 you will buy a cadillac of a setup. Go for a compressor with a tank as this will give you uninterrupted air supply and plus they run cooler as they are not constantly running, and go for a double action, gravity fed airbrush.

Don't buy the most expensive one they have because being your first airbrush you will probably mess it up at some stage.

I have a sparmax compressor and AB. Not that great for really fine detail but they do the job fine and from memory set me back under $300.

This compressor comes highly recommended by at least two of our forum members, at a great price.

Compressors page

Airbrushes Page

Accessories page

Depending on which compressor/AB or package you buy, your compressor and airbrush may or may not come with the fittings, hoses, filter regulator, moisture trap, pressure guage etc that you need. Make sure you check the listings for these things and also to make sure the fittings match in size bewteen the compressor, AB, hose, regulator etc and you won't need an adaptor. Common hobby size is 1/8th of an inch, tradesman size is 1/4 inch.

Also worth a purchase is an airbrush holder and a cleaning pot.

You will blow $800 easily at that site so my advice is to stick with the bare essentials first off and then figure out what else you think you could do with later.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:44:43 PM by Sonar »

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:37:21 AM »

Sonar-thank you very much for your detailed response.
The Artlogic compressor is a great price,great tip.I can see what you mean about spending some
$$$ on that site!

Exactly the kind of info I was after mate,I made mention of my budget as I truly was not aware
of the cost in starting out.

Thanks again.

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »

$800 ?! @__@
Wow! Wish I had that kind of money when I was building my gig.
From memory I've spent total of $400 by buying 2nd hand pieces...
Was under strict condition set out by missus so couldn't really afford shiny new gears~ -__-;

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »

hahaha I know what that's like dj...

Alpha perhaps you will consider donating a small portion of what is left over to the GAF Japan Quake appeal? ;)

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »

Last time I ever mention money here !

I am 35,father of three,and own a successful mechanical workshop.
I don't like to stuff around buying gear twice-spend it once,do it right.
That wont resonate with everyone,but it is the code I live and spend by.
Again,thanks Sonar for the clear and useful advice,will update on my purchase when I decide.

Of course a donation will be made mate.
I have already donated through a largemouth bass forum in JP that I have been a member of for a long time.
My wife last night made a donation to the Japanese red cross as well on behalf of our family.
Will do same here on Thursday.

drifand

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »

Just get a simple air compressor from Ebay, Got mine under $80 delivered.

As for Airbrush!!!
Here's the most tricky bit.
I found myself loving Single Action rather than the double action type regardless whether it was gravity feed with the cup on top or sipone from the bottle at the bottom.

You need to know what works for you in the end, as I have an Iwata just sitting around as I found more disadvantages using it than a simple reliable Single action one.

You probably need a double action airbrush to do certain things better but for basic painting, I just love how single action works, and is easy to clean. I could almost see why some people gave up using airbrush for priming, and then painting. It takes up a lot of your time.

mokana_man

• Rear Admiral
  • Mecha Workshop Melbourne
    • View Profile
    • Mokana man @ youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »

I'll throw my two cents in, get a cheap-ish single action for primer and make sure the compressor has a regulator and tank the other bits are standard. Check out the Iwata brand of double action air brushes for 80% of your regular painting.

That will cost around $500 but feel free to pick up goods like glass eye dropper, 2,3 or 4 way taps to hock up muilitable air brushes, several mini metal trays for mixing paint, air brush stand, self cleaning pot to remove waist, 100 bamboo kaba sticks and alagator clips (to hold your model pieces), air brush parts (eg. needels and nozles), cleaning thinner. These bits and pieces makes the job much easier and all are under $10 but together adds up.

If that left over money is still burning a hole in your pocket pick up a Tamiya spray stand and a sonic wave cleaner for maintenance. Excluding the cleaner this is what I have and am able to pick up a brush and start painting with in a few mins...
Success belongs to those who are too stupid to give up!
http://www.youtube.com/user/mokanaman

drifand

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »

Also to add, for the cheapo airbrush make sure is NOT PLASTIC, it will break. I havent get the hang of enjoying double action airbrushes, is probably me getting use to it.
Just find it a bit too tedious to open up, clean needle and clean the whole interior after every job done for double action airbrush, not sure if anyone feels the same. Love a good quality Single action airbrush which was almost no brainer for me (which is why I say its a good beginner airbrush to start with). Again I believe is upto individual of which airbrush they prefer, I certainly feel happier using Single action to begin with and then go advance from there.

As for the aircompressor, it needs the water trap filter as well. Which I was lucky to get such a compressor for under $80 delievered.
Not forgetting Teflon plubbing white tape to ensure good fit at the hoses.

Zesaviourta666

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »

I'm just going to be getting the GW one myself, from what I've seem it looks good for it's price but I doubt it's what your after.

mokana_man

• Rear Admiral
  • Mecha Workshop Melbourne
    • View Profile
    • Mokana man @ youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »

I'm just going to be getting the GW one myself, from what I've seem it looks good for it's price but I doubt it's what your after.

I've tried a few single action AB's and the Citadel one is still the best I've used to date.
Success belongs to those who are too stupid to give up!
http://www.youtube.com/user/mokanaman

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »

Last time I ever mention money here !

I am 35,father of three,and own a successful mechanical workshop.
I don't like to stuff around buying gear twice-spend it once,do it right.
That wont resonate with everyone,but it is the code I live and spend by.
Again,thanks Sonar for the clear and useful advice,will update on my purchase when I decide.

Of course a donation will be made mate.
I have already donated through a largemouth bass forum in JP that I have been a member of for a long time.
My wife last night made a donation to the Japanese red cross as well on behalf of our family.
Will do same here on Thursday.

Wow, three donations! Good on you. Look forward to it!

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »

I'll throw my two cents in, get a cheap-ish single action for primer and make sure the compressor has a regulator and tank the other bits are standard. Check out the Iwata brand of double action air brushes for 80% of your regular painting.

That will cost around $500 but feel free to pick up goods like glass eye dropper, 2,3 or 4 way taps to hock up muilitable air brushes, several mini metal trays for mixing paint, air brush stand, self cleaning pot to remove waist, 100 bamboo kaba sticks and alagator clips (to hold your model pieces), air brush parts (eg. needels and nozles), cleaning thinner. These bits and pieces makes the job much easier and all are under $10 but together adds up.

If that left over money is still burning a hole in your pocket pick up a Tamiya spray stand and a sonic wave cleaner for maintenance. Excluding the cleaner this is what I have and am able to pick up a brush and start painting with in a few mins...

Thank you very much mate,great that you considered my question worthy of such a detailed response.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear.
I had'nt considered a 2 gun set up,with the cheaper for priming,but it makes perfect sense.
Will update here once I make my purchase.Might be getting a compressor through a contact at QLD Trade tools.
All of the advice shared by all has been very informative.Thanks all.

Magicmonkeyman

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Gunpla Nub
    • View Profile
    • オレのガンプラハレム!! My Gunpla Harem
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »

Any cheap air compressors out there?
I got an airbrush just need a cheap air compressor now
Gunpla Noob <3 Matt Top Coat
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad