Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
December 09, 2019, 06:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

:rx78: Please visit JAPAN TOYS AUSTRALIA For AWESOME PRICES access the site through our banner below! :):rx78:

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 78751 times)

potchip

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »

It's good enough. The pricier ABs are really for fine work, and gundams don't really need that much fine lines. You'll also need plenty of masking tape...

Garret Masterson

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »

@Kjasi & iceman90

Choose the set 2 link the Tamiya basic Sprayworks.  It'll give you all you need for airbrushing model kits.  That's what I've been using for more than 2 years now and it never let me down.  Just a word of advice: never use it for more than 30 minutes.  It'll destroy the gears from overheating.  I've read people abusing it spraying for over an hour and the mechanisms just gave out.  Just let it rest for 30 minutes after you use it and you're good to go again.

If ever you want to upgrade your airbrush.  Just buy a tamiya HG Spraywork airbrush.  It'll give better control than the one provided with the basic spraywork (which I still use for priming my kits).

iceman90

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 10:19:53 PM »

Thanks for your reply garret. I've decided to go for the pricier set as there was a discount of up to 40% on amazon japan. While I do want to save a little, the place I'm staying at is a paper thin apartment and I'm worried about the noise output by the cheaper compressor. Have gotten the better compressor and a HG spraywork airbrush. :) Might get a basic one for the priming work but I'll play around with my set first.

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »

@Garret: I took a look at that system, and frankly, I'm not that thrilled about it. It looks kinda cheaply made, requires the separate purchase of a battery, (No AC power option? Really?) and it overheats after half-an-hour?

Thank you for your suggestion, but I think I'll go with my current choice instead. If nothing else, I can easily upgrade each part of it when I get the money for a better system. Plus I can use it on more than just Gunpla.

I DID look at the US eBay recently, and I noticed "nail airbrushes" for like $5 USD a pop, plus S&H. Anyone know if "nail airbrushes" would be a good, cheap airbrush? (Almost disposable airbrush...) They look like they're double-action, gravity fed...

GacktC

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »

I bought my Airbrush from school with a student discount years ago, it was like $125 for my Iwata HP-C. Parts are super expensive in these days, for a freaking needle, it costs almost $20, and that tiny tip underneath the nozzle already $35!!!WTF?? But my airbrush is still survive after 15 years (maybe I only use it once a year the most?).
The compressor that I have is a little Testors, it is very quiet with enough power (20 PSI if I am not mistaken), and I paid $95 for it 6 years ago.

Hoardz01

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »

@kjasi. Those ebay cheapies will do ok for messing around and learning on. Don't expect much of them and you wont be dissapointed. I have a couple and just use for spraying undercoats and clears. I wish I had bought some of them before I spent $100 + on an air brush because some of your expensive lessons can be learnt on the cheap throw away ones.

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »

@kjasi. Those ebay cheapies will do ok for messing around and learning on. Don't expect much of them and you wont be dissapointed. I have a couple and just use for spraying undercoats and clears. I wish I had bought some of them before I spent $100 + on an air brush because some of your expensive lessons can be learnt on the cheap throw away ones.
So it would be wise to get a few $5 airbrushes for learning and probably priming. That's about what I was thinking. I didn't think they'd be "OMG! Teh gratest evar!" kinda airbrushs, but a good learning/primer brush. I'll probably grab a few when I order my system from Amazon.

GacktC

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2011, 07:40:17 PM »

I suggest just to get a decent one than keep on buying those $5 airbrushes. A decent one can last with proper caring and cleaning, just make sure don't bend the needle :)

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 02:07:05 AM »

Thanks guys for your earlier replies.With your help I ended up with this setup.
Arrived from hobbytools.au on Friday,haven't stopped reeking of thinners since  ;D

Artlogic compressor,sparmax DH 103 AB,3m braided line and in line moisture trap as suggested by GOZ *thanks*
First real session was tonight,compressor got a little hot but certainly didn't affect the result.
Really happy and was delivered to Brisbane for just on $300.

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:10 AM »

Can anyone help with the thinners/clear ratio for Tamiya clear with same brand acrylic thinners??

Also I purchased some Tamiya flat base in a bottle.Do you add a small amount to the clear to attain a clear,flat finish?

Hoardz01

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 05:47:24 AM »

@Alphabeta. I have the exact same setup, minus the tank unfortunately. Does run hot. I'd suggest with the tamiya clear start with 50/50 and adjust as necessary. Others would be more in tune with how to use that product. I just bought some flat base too, so very interested to hear how you go with that. I have read that you can mix it with future to make a matt. The ratios are on fitchenfoos site.

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »

Thanks Hoardz,will start with a 1:1 ratio.Just wanted to confirm before trying,would hate to destroy a kit
at the clearcoat stage  :-X
Went for a look for some Future polish for no luck.Local various supermarkets and hardware stores
have no stock...looks like I am a lil late for that one.

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »

That's a good setup Alphabeta. Mine runs hot too, and I don't have a tank. You just have to give it a break between colours. Your speed and technique will improve/come back pretty quickly with a bit of practice, and this will mean shorter run times between breaks for your comp. Last thing you want it to do is seize. I wonder if running them in a bit woould help? Surely it would?

alphabeta

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »

It is my first ever experience with an airbrush mate,gave it a quick go Friday pre shading some zaku parts.
Spent yesterday driving around buying paint and spent most of last night playing with the paint flow control
settings and starting spraying the base coat last night.
Spent some time mixing the paint/thinner ratio and generally just getting to know how to use the thing!

The compressor had a fan blowing over it the whole time,it didn't get uncomfortably hot.And you make a great point that I won't "lean"
on the compressor as much as skills grow.

Oh and it is really quiet too,nice touch!

Hemish

• I dare you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
  • So then he says....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »

Noice, looks very similar to mine.
In regards to the tamiya acrylics, ppl say a consistency like milk, I find 1:1 good sometimes a bit more thinner, depends on the colours that I'm using too.

As for the Tamiya flat base, I just mix that with thinner and spray on as my flat coat

We really need to organise that day together :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF