Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
December 09, 2019, 05:59:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 78743 times)

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #285 on: February 11, 2016, 07:25:27 AM »

The pressure is on  ;)

it's up to you how much you spend on a regulator & moisture trap. I'd go for a combined unit (even though mine are separate) as they take up less space and are usually cheaper. On the subject of price these things really are a get what you pay for item. Cheap regulators may need to be constantly adjusted and will leak eventually. The best bet is to get your set up from a tool store as opposed to a hardware or auto store.

Just remember that the Scorpion is louder than the toys but runs for a lot less time and being a heavy duty type compressor (relative to the toys) it doesn't run for very long during a paint. Believe it or not I've never drained the moisture trap on mine as it's so underworked it doesn't get hot enough to generate much moisture.
Real men don't LOL!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2016, 07:29:13 AM »

Hi masters, I need your help. I want to learn how to use an airbrush for my gundam, problem is that I don't have much budget for a costly compressor set. Can you please name some of the cheapest mini compressor set, it's pros and cons and where to buy it?

Thanks

A decent Scorpion 2Hp 55ltr compressor costs no more than the toys that are sold as so called airbrush compressors. You get what you pay for with airbrushes  :)

I'm sure if you got through this topic you'll find what you need.
Real men don't LOL!

Newbiegonecrazy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:46 AM »

Thanks Gunny for your quick reply. Autobarn also sell scorpion regulator/filter, hope they have someone to fit that in for me.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/scorpion-filter-regulator-1-4-sfr-302

BTW, eBay is having 10% off for all item above $100, and autobarn has shop on eBay. Perfect!!!  ;)

Here's where I got my iwata neo trn1, cheaper than eBay  :D

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7757

cobraleader

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Cobraleader's Workbench
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »

go to ebay and search for airbrushes ... you can get them for about $20 - nice double action, with gravity cup.

buy several.
easy to use and maintain

since they are cheap, you can basically go through about 10 before you reach the cost of Pasche or Badger airbrushes.

as to learning how to use - search youtube for airbrush tutorials take what they say as a guide.
site down with an old model or sheets of paper and just spray some paint. 
go back to the tutorials and rewatch ...

as for compressors ... well, i've had a Pasche compressor for 15+ years now, i'd say spend the money here, this cost me $250 at the time. 
A tank is a must if you want to get serious ... get a full rig, might cost $400 but it is worth it ...
definately a moisture trap with regulator - don't skimp ...
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows him?

Newbiegonecrazy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »

Thanks Cob for the tips

Has anyone use Vallejo rc premium to airbrush your gundam? The reason I'm asking because it's cheaper (around $8 for 60ml) than their 'air' product line, but I can't find any review on them for gunpla. Here is the brief description of Vallejo premium paint

AV PREMIUM is a safe water-based, non toxic and highly versatile airbrush ready paint, suitable for all surfaces, but especially formulated for superior adhesion to metals, fibreglass, polyethylene, clear LexanŞ polycarbonate, slot car and RC bodies, and all tuning and automotive applications.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/premium-rc-color/family/20

Thanks in advance

Newbiegonecrazy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 14, 2016, 09:14:56 PM »

Hi everyone, i've done further reading on Vallejo premium paint and found the recommended compressor setting for this paint is 30psi. Would it be a problem since people normally use 15psi setting to airbrush gunpla? Will I still be able to use this paint with 15psi setting? Thanks

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »

Gunpla is no different to any other model so if that's what Vallejo recommend then that's what you should start out using. You can muck around with the pressure to suit yourself and whatever airbrush you are using as you are spraying.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:21:19 AM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Newbiegonecrazy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 15, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »

Thanks again Gunny for the tips. Sorry I have no idea about airbrushing & I've bought 20 of vallejo premium paints. I was a bit worry there, cheers!

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2016, 08:24:57 AM »

You don't see much about the premium paints because they don't really market them to the plastic modeller but they are quite popular in the RC world. They have a good colour range especially the metallics & candies. I've been meaning to try some myself but up until just recently hardly anyone stocked them.
Real men don't LOL!

makko

• Newber
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 15, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »

Hello guys, can you give me a brand of a reliable airbrush set that cost less than 250 aud. The cheaper the better. I'm planning to buy but I don't know which one to buy. Please help. If you can give me a store link please. I'm live close to Sydney. Thanks

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 15, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »

Iwata are one of the best.

These two places seem to have the best prices in Aus (you can get them better from Japan in some cases)
Adelaide Molding & Casting Supplies: http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2003_2208
Airbrush Mega store: http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1705&Itemid=88

I've used both and they are pretty good. Be warned the other big Australian store, the Airbrush Shop are way overpriced compared to these two.

If you want Tamiya or Gunze airbrushes Hobby Search are a good source. They get them in and posted within a couple of days if they aren't in stock.
Real men don't LOL!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF