Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
April 08, 2020, 03:42:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 80767 times)

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »

Yeah, the small bend would probably be the culprit. As I said, it doesn't take much. ;)

I bought a metric efftonne of spares last time I bent the needle, so I can just swap in replacements when I do dumb things.

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »

A split or warped nozzle will also cause problems with the airbrush. This can occur if too much force is used when sliding the needle into place during reassembly.

Additionally if there is a build up of paint inside the nozzle it will cause the tip of the nozzle to warp because the needle does not fit in properly in its natural position.

You can check for split and extensively warped nozzles visually, however you may often struggle to notice warped <0.35mm nozzles as is doesn't take much force to damage them.

I've encountered this problem with the Sparmax D103 (and its clones) on numerous occasions. The airbrush nozzle is a hollowed out cone and as a result the very tip of the nozzle is very weak. I have not encountered this problem with my Badger or Iwata airbrushes and from looking at the design of Paasche systems they seem even less susceptible to this problem due to their heavy duty nozzle design.

Falldog

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Otaku Revolution
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2013, 10:52:49 PM »

There's always been a bit of warp over the needle itself (probably after I stabbed my hand with the damn thing, still have a mark there which may be an impromptu tattoo due to paint on the end) but it never impaired painting.

I've always put the needle in backward to prevent anything from happening to the tip.

It's a good thing I saved all the documentation so I can track down the proper part number. Hopefully they'll have some one Amazon. Luckily I got a whole bunch of stuff painted so I can detail while I wait.

Suzaku

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2013, 12:11:55 AM »

I bent the hell out of my Talon needle once. I was actually able to straighten it out enough to prime and basecoat with, but not enough to do any kind of shading. It didn't result in spraying at weird angles, but it did speckle the hell out of the paint and caused some nasty backups in the airbrush. That was when I decided it would be a good idea to order some spares to have on hand. I routinely do stupid things, and it's nice to have a way to fix the airbrush when necessary :P

Falldog

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Otaku Revolution
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2013, 05:35:41 AM »

Looks like some sort of blockage was the main culprit and it's back to spraying again! There's a bit of sputtering though (paint may not be fully thinned) but I've gone and ordered a new needle just to see if things improve. Unfortunately the local shops don't carry parts for this brush but luckily the manufacturer does on Amazon!

Frontl1ne

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »

Just completed my first attempt at pre-shading!

Finding it really tough to keep a thin line without the paint spluttering  :(
We can rebuild him, we have the technology.

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »

^ For preshading, I like to add a couple of drops of paint retarder to stop the paint from drying on the needle tip. Another tip is to thin the paint down a bit more than usual (I go for around 40:60, paint to thinner) and lower the pressure a bit( just helps the paint from running since the paint is thinner). Hope this helps.

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »

why don't you just say 2:3?
also I am having major problems, arghh.
either my paint comes out wet and thin and just slides off the piece or it just sputters and doesn't spray at all.
any ideas?
also how do you change the psi?

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »

^ Why ask the question in the first place. ;)
For your thinning problem, I used to have the same thing happening all the time. I used to thin my paint inside the airbrush, problem with this is that the 'thick' paint is still sitting at the bottom even after mixing. Also, after testing whether it's properly thinned by shooting it through your airbrush, did you pour the paint out, then clean with thinner and shoot the remaining paint out if it wasn't good?

If you don't clean it out, then when you pour your newly thinned paint into your airbrush, and then you start shooting again, the 'old' paint is still inside the airbrush and that will be sprayed out first, hence you won't see a difference in performance. By the time you spray the 'old' paint out, you might have already thinned your paint down to the point it's thinner.

Sorry for making it sound so confusing or if it sounds like gibberish.

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »

ummmm, a little bit of gibberish. its bottom fed if that makes a difference.

Ethan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2013, 09:45:59 PM »

If the paint isn't 'good', pour it out, spray thinner through it. Then thin new paint, then spray it. Repeat until you get a good result. Why should you spray thinner while experimenting? Even after pouring the crappy paint out, there's still a bit left in the airbrush itself.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:46:44 PM by Ethan »

thepuddingcup11

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »

thanks for the translation. :)

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »

I usually test new mixtures on a bit of card in order to make sure I get good paint flow at a desired working pressure. This also doubles up as a troubleshooting process.

1. Set up your airbrush as normal and then adjust the psi to the highest working pressure. I consider 30-35psi as high working pressure   
2. Spray the paint but limit the paint flow. Too much paint flow will cause the paint to run due to the high pressure.
3. Gradually decrease the working pressure while increasing paint flow, eventually you will be able to max out the paint flow at a good working pressure without paint running.

If there are still problems or the working pressure is too high or too low then you will need to adjust the paint:thinner ratio.

I highly recommending pre-mixing paint for airbrushing. Problems with airbrushing often stem from the mixture. Pre-mixing will give you much more accurate paint:thinner ratio and allow you to thoroughly mix the paint to ensure consistency of the mixture.   

Ghostintheshell

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 27, 2013, 12:59:39 AM »

I use a cheap shop canvas as a backdrop/test pad before shooting bits, learnt the hard way about spraying with clearing old paint/thinner/water first.

Has anyone else tried shooting vallejo paint thru their ab? Ive used distilled water at the recommended dilution and it was too thin, but any less than that and the paint is too thick to spray. No way im buying their thinner in a 17ml bottle..... id go thur a bottle a day at my rate.
Blog - Under construction: http://jdmjunkyard.wordpress.com/

KaiK

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2013, 02:54:37 AM »

I've done some testing and here are the results.

Left to right: 1:2 Mr Color Lacquer thinner, 1:1 Tamiya X20A thinner, 1:1 Water

All tests were done using a Sparmax DH103 with a 0.3mm nozzle @ 15 psi

I no longer have Vallejo thinners because I don't really use their line of paints. The Dark Sand pictured is an old vial that I've had for around 5 years which I was going to use for an M1A1 tank.

All 3 mixtures have great flow but you can clearly see that the water mixture had issues sticking to the surface. Although I sprayed the paint on card you will notice that there is very little speckling with the Tamiya thinner and water mixtures, and pretty much none with the lacquer thinners.

I have a firm belief that your problems stem from how well you mixed the paint because I was extremely thorough with my mixtures and the results show.

I hope this gives a bit of insight to using Vallejo Model Color paints.

Try troubleshooting using the steps from my previous post and make sure you mix your paint thoroughly.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF