Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
October 19, 2019, 08:12:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread  (Read 78350 times)

drifand

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Airbrush set-up ?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »

ebay.com.au was how I gotten mine under $100.00 delievered. You find a few starting from $60+
Get those with the water filter trap.

Wolfman X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »

ever since mokana mamn got me a double action ab gun with a compressor with an attached regulator ive had a ton of fun
might i go with a single action? probably not
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:25:58 PM by Wolfman X »
Aka: Wolfman, Wolfie, WMX, Wolfenhiem.

Zefbot

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »

I'm thinking of getting one of these air compressors from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-1-6HP-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-SPRAY-GUN-TANK-/190537994981?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item2c5cf312e5

It may be the same type as drifand mentions above, I'm not sure.  At any rate, it says it has an air filter which you can see, however is that different from a moisture trap?  I'm unclear if I need to buy one separately or not.

If I do, is something like this sufficient:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AIRBRUSH-MINI-AIR-FILTER-Moisture-Water-Trap-Spray-Gun-/330497993610?pt=AU_Art_Supplies&hash=item4cf3372b8a

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »

I have one of those moisture traps (which I got from Runway13) and it is one of the best investments I have made. My compressor is getting on and runs really hot after a while and when the hot air enters the air hose, it cools and moisture forms which is a pain when it blows through the air brush and onto the piece I am painting. I read up about moisture traps and everyone says that they are better at the brush end rather than the compressor end.

I got mine a few months back and it is amazing the amount of water that collects in the thing. Since I have had it attached, I haven't had any water spurts at all.

That compressor will do the trick too - just remember that it is on the cheaper end of the scale so if it breaks down don't be suprised.

Hoardz01

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 11:03:48 PM »

@GOZ. I have been having the same problem lately, never knew these in-line filters existed though, will grab one now so thanks for the info.

Zefbot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 11:38:25 PM »

I have one of those moisture traps (which I got from Runway13) and it is one of the best investments I have made. My compressor is getting on and runs really hot after a while and when the hot air enters the air hose, it cools and moisture forms which is a pain when it blows through the air brush and onto the piece I am painting. I read up about moisture traps and everyone says that they are better at the brush end rather than the compressor end.

I got mine a few months back and it is amazing the amount of water that collects in the thing. Since I have had it attached, I haven't had any water spurts at all.

That compressor will do the trick too - just remember that it is on the cheaper end of the scale so if it breaks down don't be suprised.

Thanks Ghost.  Yes, I realise it's a cheapie compressor but I found a couple of people in other forums who had purchased one and asked them about their experiences.  So far they say it's being doing the trick and is good bang for your buck.  I've decided to take the chance.

With regards to the inline moisture trap I linked to, it says it is also an air filter, but the compressor already comes with an air filter.  Will having two air filters be a problem in anyway?

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 07:42:15 AM »

It says air filter but it more means it's an air filter that removes moisture. The air pressure hasn't changed on mine and if it has then I can't notice it at all.

Lets us know how you go with the compressor. I'm interested in finding out how they go as well.

Zefbot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »

It says air filter but it more means it's an air filter that removes moisture.

Are you referring to the compressor air filter?  As in, I don't need to buy an additional inline moisture trap?

Frontl1ne

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »

It'd be nice to have an Airbrush General Q&A sticky in this forum I reckon :)

I've been thinking about getting into airbrushing myself, but finance is a little tight. I'm sort of stuck in a tight spot. I want to paint my future model builds, however cans are absolutely not economical. So it seems the only two choices for me are: airbrush or hand painting. So right now I'm really just trying to figure out how much a decent beginner airbrush kit will cost and then I can decide if I will make the investment!

I'm new to this forum and haven't contributed much, but just wondered if anyone could link me a nice airbrush kit for beginners. I prefer buying local (Perth, WA) because then I don't have to worry about shipping times, warranty, things breaking and having to wait etc. but I understand the modelling hobby isn't exactly huge and online may be the way to go. I've had a look at this kit:

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/prod192.htm

What do you guys think about that?

I would be happy to put a bit more effort in and buy parts seperate for my airbrush kit as well if that means I can get better stuff suited for gundam modeling. Would like to limit my purchase to $250 for everything required for airbrushing, however if justifiable, I can stretch that budget :)
We can rebuild him, we have the technology.

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »

It says air filter but it more means it's an air filter that removes moisture.

Are you referring to the compressor air filter?  As in, I don't need to buy an additional inline moisture trap?

No, I mean that the moisture trap is also an air filter but for moisture. The compressor filter will clean the air but not remove much if any moisture. I really recommend that you use the moisture trap at the air brush end in conjunction with the filter at the compressor side (which also doubles for pressure control by the looks of it).

Zefbot

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »

Alrighty, thanks Ghost.  :)

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
Airbrush purchasing for Newbs
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »

So, I'm looking to purchase my first airbrush soon, and I want a good idea of names, brands, and items that I'll need to get in order to have it work well.

At the moment, I'm looking at getting these items but I need to know if these are good items to get or if you think I should go with something else. I also have absolutely no idea of airbrush Brand-names, other than Iwata, but I'm looking to keep this first airbrush on the cheap side. (I'll get another, better airbrush after I've gotten some experience with it, and have more money.)

If you can think of something I should have on that list, please mention it, and include the reason WHY I need it. That way, I'll understand it's importance.

Finally, please note that I'm in the USA, and I would prefer to not buy these items from overseas. Thanks! ^_^

TheGhostofZeon

• GAF Commodore
  • Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
Re: Air Brush and Compressor Discussion Thread
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »

Kjasi, I've merged your post into this topic and from now on this topic can become the general air brush discussion topic! (stickied also)

iceman90

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 11:35:14 PM »

Hi guys,

Have been looking at getting an airbrush and a compressor. Am currently in Japan, therefore Tamiya brand seems to be quite popular here.
Here are 2 sets which have caught my eye. 

Set 1:
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74515
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74519

Set 2:
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74520

Since I have no idea as to what I should be getting or what I should be looking out for, comments or any thoughts on the items above are very much appreciated.

Kjasi

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Gunpla Battle Ground
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 06:16:05 PM »

So... No one has any comments on my selection of airbrushing gear or supplies?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF