Gundam Australia Forum Sponsored By Hobby Link Japan - Go there NOW
February 24, 2020, 02:20:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ordering something from HLJ? Access the site through our banner! :)

Follow Us On -
Fury's Schemer App
SAZABI VER KA!!!!
HLJ.com Ad
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gunpla Terminology  (Read 20479 times)

DAZZ(^.^)

• Cadet Corps
  • Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Insert Peronal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Re: Gunpla Terminology
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 11:50:35 AM »

@Sonar,
Be sure to add this link "http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Gundam"
if you do add it to the list, just for a couple of giggles,

Sandrock

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Uppercut-Justice.com posts by Riku
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »

@ Sonar - You got me on that FC timeline!  

I'd also like to suggest

Newtype - the next stage of human evolution, in the UC timeline, resulting from evolutionary adaptation to life in space.  Newtypes typically have heightened mental awareness.

I have other suggestions like Coordinators and Innovators....  I dunno how in-depth you want to on this post.  We could easily start our own wikipedia site on this.  Hahahaha. 

Maybe we should keep it to Modeling terms... like "Resin" and "Polystyrene".
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:01:57 PM by Sandrock »
Uppercut Justice for All!
http://www.uppercut-justice.com

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • G A N D A A A M U ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »

Yeah I was really going for things more specific to the hobby but trying to include terms that I thought people would come across while reading the forum or browsing gunpla literature around the net.

I guess for many of us the anime itself is interwoven with the hobby as many of us draw inspiration from it and create builds specific to it. There is a lot of work out there that is specific to a scene or character from the anime. People who don't/haven't watched that particular anime still 'get it' but they probably don't feel the emotion of the piece IMO.

Newtype is a good one. I'll get to updating the list again later on.

Sandrock

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Uppercut-Justice.com posts by Riku
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 12:42:31 AM »

I have some new suggestions for the Terminology

Custom - A variation of the original machine.  Custom signifies this is a base machine modified for a specific purpose or pilot; not necessarily the next generation of a machine. (Examples: RX-78 -> RX-78CA Gundam Char Aznable Custom;  Gelgoog -> Gelgoog Marine Cima Custom)

Ver. - An Abbreviation for Version.  Ver. indicates something about the production of the model kit.  Sometimes, it is who the builder of the model is.  (Examples: RX-78-2 Ver DC23., RG Zaku Ver. Tem).  Models labeled with Ver. can be dramatically different from the original model kit, based on the artistic interpretation of the model builder.  Sometimes Ver. can indicate the production version of a model kit, possibly a newer generation of the same model (Examples: MG RX-78 -> MG RX-78 Ver. 2), Anime/Manga Series Variation (Example MG Gundam Wing -> Gundam Wing EW Ver.), or a color variation.  (Example MG RX-78-> MG RX-78 OYW Ver.)
Uppercut Justice for All!
http://www.uppercut-justice.com

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 08:20:19 AM »

Those are good mate, thanks!

There's so much bbcode formatting in that op that every time I edit it it screws up the post! The forum software just loves to throw in extra tags that I didn't ask for when using the  [ list] tags. Now I remember why I haven't bothered updating this in so long. That was PAINFUL.

Note to self: Next update, update the master list first and then copy and paste the list between a single [ list] open and [ /list] closed tag at the top and bottom of the page.

Kirizai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »

I somewhat do not understand about the Bootleg Kits definition. I absolutely understand that they are unlicensed and basically "illegal replicas" of kits. I just don't understand how to tell what is and what isn't considered a bootleg. I mean, are there companies that you guys know make legitimate kits? (Licensed) I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me. ;D I want to know what is ok and what is not.

Thanks!

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »

Afaik b club are the only licensed resin seller of gundam products.

thegunny

• Are we there yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Om
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »

Roger that. Pretty sure B-Club (Poppy) are actually owned by Bandai.

Although Bandai do issue limited licences for garage kits sold at shows such as Wonderfest.

Except for Bandai & B-Club all other licensed products have this sticker on them somewhere, usually bottom right corner of the box top.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:09:03 AM by thegunny »
Real men don't LOL!

Shaid

• GA Staff
  • Commodore
  • Inappropriate avatars for the win!
    • View Profile
    • Gunblog!
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »

Most of the kits you see on eBay that are blatant copies of Bandai kits - a quick search for Gundam finds you tonnes of bootlegs made by TT or somesuch, where the boxes are pretty much identical to the Bandai releases, but with a different logo. Bootlegs, dirty cheap bootlegs. Bootlegs are generally direct copies of Bandai's engineering. I'd generally avoid buying things of eBay, it can be hard at times to know if you're buying an original or a bootleg, especially of the limited release magazine exclusives, and such. If you do have some of those, the quality of the plastic can give away the origin. Bootleg kits are generally ish plastic.

Then there's unlicensed kits, like the G-System resin kits. These are usually not based on Bandai's kits, but unlicensed productions of various Gundam/Mecha designs. "Garage kits" can fall in this category. So named because they're historically cast up in some blokes garage.

Not sure where things like the Gundooms fit in, since they're not copies of Bandai-engineered kits, but usually recasts and modifications of other 3rd party unlicensed kits,

Also probably millions of other things in between.

Everything I know about bootlegs I learned from $2 store Transformer knock-offs. Man some of those are weird.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:09:52 PM by Shaid »

QuangVuong

• Commodore
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 10:27:46 PM »

Well there are 3 main brands now: TT Hongli, Model GD and Dragon Momoko. MC Models may falled into garage, not too sure, as they dont directly copy.

Just stick with anything Bandai.

Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
(\__/)
(=
'.'=)
(")_(")

Sonar

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Gundam Australia
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »

IDC if they have original designs, MC model are stealing intellectual property for profit, therefore they are bootleggers. End of story. This is not the correct thread for this discussion btw :)

dj898

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 10:25:22 AM »

Although Bandai do issue limited licences for garage kits sold at shows such as Wonderfest.

the licence for Wonderfest is just single day only.
so yes you can sell on that day but after that no you cannot.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:25:52 AM by dj898 »
Pages: 1 [2]

japantoys.com.au banner ad

HLJ.com Ad

Advertise on GAF